Phinfever.com

Catch the madness!

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 pm 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 4755
Quote:
Andy Kent Dolphins.com @Andy_Kent

Despite showing flashes of brilliance during training camp as a rookie last season, Miami Dolphins wide receiver Rishard Matthews had to bide his time early on and earn his keep on special teams.

But when his number was finally called, the seventh-round pick out of Nevada didn’t waste his opportunity and found himself in the offensive huddle in six of the last seven games. Matthews ended the season with 11 catches for 151 yards for a 13.7 average and reeled in three passes of 20 yards or more. That valuable experience has the California native looking forward to this season and the possibilities it brings for him.


...



http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 9050b10c53


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5343
Location: Wellington, FL
Still irks me that the best WR they found all year was the 7th round rookie.
This guy outplayed Johnson, Gaffeny, Armstrong and Binns....

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
I think Matthews will find it even more difficult to get on the field this year with all of our recent additions. I think he's going to be playing mostly special teams this year. If he does see the field, it will likely be because someone else got injured.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am 
Offline
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
wkloiber13 wrote:
I think Matthews will find it even more difficult to get on the field this year with all of our recent additions. I think he's going to be playing mostly special teams this year. If he does see the field, it will likely be because someone else got injured.


If he's improving in training camp, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a roster spot from Bess. From what I've heard around other forums (so take it with a grain of salt), we're possibly looking to either trade him or just flat out get rid of him.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4643
Location: MA.
10acjed wrote:
Still irks me that the best WR they found all year was the 7th round rookie.
This guy outplayed Johnson, Gaffeny, Armstrong and Binns....


Johnson was a waste of air...He should have never been invited to camp.

Binns was the best of the bunch


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 5592
Location: Houston, Texas
Miami really will be improved at the receiver spot and add in a potential threat from the draft and us fans should be pretty happy with the targets Tannehill will be throwing to this year.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
cspooner13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
I think Matthews will find it even more difficult to get on the field this year with all of our recent additions. I think he's going to be playing mostly special teams this year. If he does see the field, it will likely be because someone else got injured.


If he's improving in training camp, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a roster spot from Bess. From what I've heard around other forums (so take it with a grain of salt), we're possibly looking to either trade him or just flat out get rid of him.


I could see Miami trading Bess if they find someone they like in the draft. Perhaps a draft day trade.

But the notion that Matthews will take Bess' spot is silly at this point. Bess is still in my opinion the 2nd or 3rd best receiver we've got.

The only way I see him leaving is if they decide to draft someone like Patterson and move Gibson into the slot, which is a possibility. A slim one, but still a possibility.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 8279
Location: Topsfield, MA
I still think Binns has a future with the team. Outside of 2 bad drops against the Pats I've read that he impressed the team last year. He has size and some speed, definitely an intriguing 4th receiver option.

Is he a future starter? Probably not, but maybe he plays his way into the 3rd receiver role as he develops.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
jammer wrote:
I still think Binns has a future with the team. Outside of 2 bad drops against the Pats I've read that he impressed the team last year. He has size and some speed, definitely an intriguing 4th receiver option.

Is he a future starter? Probably not, but maybe he plays his way into the 3rd receiver role as he develops.


In all reality Binns is probably the 6th best receiver we have right now behind Wallace, Hartline, Bess, Gibson, and Matthews. Even if we traded away Bess, he'd have a tough time getting on the field this year with the talent we have. If Binns has a future with the Dolphins, he'll have to earn it on special teams, just like Matthews.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
I just really don't see at this point how Bess is in a Dolphins uniform come week one. Which is sad for me because I really like the guy, but that's the business

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r