View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Do the Dolphins trade up in Round 1? 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Do the Dolphins trade up in Round 1?
Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:
Rich, I'm obviously not a part of the Dolphins' Organization. I simply come to this site to get updated info and respectively correspond will fellow Phin Fans.

Oh, because you made it sound as if you had some sort of inside information when you said this:

Quote:
but there are still specific players the team is targeting

To continue your argument of trading up.

First off, my apologies if I mistook this, but it does seem you are saying I needed inside information to state the Phins are targeting specific players.

By the way, we have 11 picks in this draft, including the top 12 pick, two 2nd, two 3rd and two 5th rounders. I don't remember the Phins being this well positioned, in the last several years.

1st round — 12th overall
2nd round — 42nd
2nd round — 54th (from Colts for the trade of cornerback Vontae Davis)
3rd round — 77th
3rd round — 82nd (from Bears for the trade of receiver Brandon Marshall)
4th round — 110th
5th round — 146th
5th round — 166th (compensatory)
7th round — 217th
7th round — 224th (from Dallas for the trade of center Ryan Cook)
7th round — 250th (compensatory)

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:09 pm
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

shularino wrote:
[I don't remember the Phins being this well positioned, in the last several years.

1st round — 12th overall
2nd round — 42nd
2nd round — 54th (from Colts for the trade of cornerback Vontae Davis)
3rd round — 77th
3rd round — 82nd (from Bears for the trade of receiver Brandon Marshall)
4th round — 110th
5th round — 146th
5th round — 166th (compensatory)
7th round — 217th
7th round — 224th (from Dallas for the trade of center Ryan Cook)
7th round — 250th (compensatory)

I wouldn't count the compensatory picks as they are not tradeable and are at the bottom of that round anyway. The 5th round pick may as well be a 6th round pick.

Anyway, as far as pick value, here is where the Dolphins have been.

RD SEL #
1 8
2 42
3 72
3 78
4 97
5 155
6 183
7 215
7 227

RD SEL #
1 28
2 40
3 73
4 119
5 145
5 163
7 212
7 252
7 227

RD SEL #
1 25
2 44
2 61
3 87
4 108
5 161
5 165
6 181
7 214

RD SEL #
1 1
2 32
2 57
3 66
4 110
6 176
6 195
6 204
7 245

RD SEL #
1 9
2 40
2 60
3 71
4 108
6 181
6 199
7 219
7 225
7 238

Those are all years in which the Dolphins had a lot of picks and ammunition to move up. And in some of those drafts you did have that superstar player worth moving up for.

This year you don't. I just don't see it happening. Too many tackles, defensive ends, wide receivers and cornerbacks for them to lose a pick or two to grab one higher in the draft.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:19 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

I'm with shularino.

I think Miami remembers taking Odrick and Misi over Earl Thomas or JPP. They won't let that happen again. That said that was as a result of moving down from 12, not electing to not move up.

I'm a firm believer that quality over quantity is what wins though. I'd much rather be aggressive, and use those 5 early picks to get 3 guys I love, than 5 guys I like.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:57 pm
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Phins Rock wrote:
I'm with shularino.

I think Miami remembers taking Odrick and Misi over Earl Thomas or JPP. They won't let that happen again. That said that was as a result of moving down from 12, not electing to not move up.

I'm a firm believer that quality over quantity is what wins though. I'd much rather be aggressive, and use those 5 early picks to get 3 guys I love, than 5 guys I like.

I wanted Earl Thomas so badly that year.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
I'm with shularino.

Well put Phins Rock.........taking into account what we've done in FA, I'm hoping there's a change in philosophy in this year's draft.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
I'm with shularino.

Where are the guys to love in this draft, though? There's one and that's Milliner.

There are 3 rounds worth of guys to like.

The Dolphins are not going to trade up.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
I'm with shularino.

Where are the guys to love in this draft, though? There's one and that's Milliner.

There are 3 rounds worth of guys to like.

The Dolphins are not going to trade up.

That's why I'm saying to go get Milliner. You can't trade up for the sake of trading up, but I think Milliner is worth it.

Same goes for moving up from 42. If you love Eifert, or Carradine makes it into the 20's, etc....Go get him.

The draft is about coming out with 2-3 guys you can build around. Realizing you're not going to hit on all your value picks in Day 2, and be aggressive in getting the guys you have strong convictions about.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
That's why I'm saying to go get Milliner. You can't trade up for the sake of trading up, but I think Milliner is worth it.

Maybe, but you're not talking about moving from 12 to 10 anymore. The higher you move up, the more or higher quality picks it will cost you.

And Milliner isn't exactly a flawless player. Additionally, he is a better fit playing press coverage, just like Xavier Rhodes, than he is playing zone. I hate zone coverage, but if that's what the Dolphins are going to run, they should be looking for corners that will excel at it.

Quote:
The draft is about coming out with 2-3 guys you can build around.

Maybe for a rebuilding team, but with the way we've approached free agency, it changes things a bit. It is about bringing in guys you can develop while the veterans you have hold down the fort for a year or two.

And again, this is a very deep draft, so we could conceivably come out with 5-7 guys to build around rather than 2-3.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Rich wrote:
Maybe, but you're not talking about moving from 12 to 10 anymore. The higher you move up, the more or higher quality picks it will cost you.

And Milliner isn't exactly a flawless player. Additionally, he is a better fit playing press coverage, just like Xavier Rhodes, than he is playing zone. I hate zone coverage, but if that's what the Dolphins are going to run, they should be looking for corners that will excel at it.

He's very good in zone too. His strength is playing man coverage and being physical, but he's effective in zone as well from what I've seen. Plus, with the need being so big at CB and Milliner being the most polished CB available, by far IMO, I think he makes it worth getting.

Dallas went from 14 to 6 with a 2nd round pick. Miami should be able to do the same. I'd go for it.

Quote:
Maybe for a rebuilding team, but with the way we've approached free agency, it changes things a bit. It is about bringing in guys you can develop while the veterans you have hold down the fort for a year or two.

And again, this is a very deep draft, so we could conceivably come out with 5-7 guys to build around rather than 2-3.

Depends what we mean by "build around." Does Koa Misi fit that mold? Brian Hartline?

If so then sure...although 5-7 might be overly optimistic. But I'm talking about premium talent at premium positions...Tannehill, Wallace, Keller (maybe) are your 3 building blocks right now on Offense, in my opinion. Miller could turn into one, although it sounds like we want to be a pass heavy team. Wake, Reshad Jones, Soliai are those types of guys. Expecting more than 2-3 in one draft is unrealistic. With the ammo we have, we can be aggressive in getting those guys.

That said, a lot of the guys I named weren't 1st round picks. But that's obviously where the majority of those guys come. I'm not saying to trade everything for 1sts. But I think you have to be realistic and realize that 2nd round pick it would take to get Milliner is probably going to be another Misi or Sean Smith, maybe worse...Solid starter, but replaceable.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:07 pm

If this draft is as deep as you've been saying, and as all the experts have been saying, particularly at positions of need for us, present needs and future needs, then I'm guessing the likelihood is higher that we could be picking up 1st round talent in the 2nd round, so I'd be hesitant to give up a 2nd round pick.

I just get the impression that this draft is going to produce a lot of solid players in the late first, 2nd and even third round compared to other drafts.

I also get the impression that there aren't that many, if any, WOW players in this draft, particularly at the top of the draft.

So I don't see the value in trading up and I doubt we'll see that any trades at the top.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
I'm with shularino.

Well put Phins Rock.........taking into account what we've done in FA, I'm hoping there's a change in philosophy in this year's draft.

If you are talking about the history of what the Dolphins have done, that is just that...history.
The failure of previous regimes doesn't mean that the team we have now is going to fail. By all indications they have done a great job.

So by this offseasons FA haul, let's build a quality, deep team for the future and not trade away our bevy of high picks for one guy. I like Milliner, but unless he unexpectedly falls, I can't see us trading up to #4 or #5 to get him.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Bevy of high picks? I'm talking a 2nd round pick. That's it.

If it costs multiple Day 2 picks then I'm re-thinking things. But if he falls to #6, I think that's when you make a move. The Browns love moving down.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Bevy of high picks? I'm talking a 2nd round pick. That's it.

If it costs multiple Day 2 picks then I'm re-thinking things. But if he falls to #6, I think that's when you make a move. The Browns love moving down.

If it were our second 2nd round pick, I'd have to consider it. But I'll hold my opinion to see where the other (roughly) $10m of cap space gets spent in FA.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The only guy I could see trading up for would be Joeckel, though I don't think we have a shot as he's likely to go #1, so I'd say lets stay where we are or trade back and add more picks.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Thrawn wrote:
If this draft is as deep as you've been saying, and as all the experts have been saying, particularly at positions of need for us, present needs and future needs, then I'm guessing the likelihood is higher that we could be picking up 1st round talent in the 2nd round, so I'd be hesitant to give up a 2nd round pick.

I just get the impression that this draft is going to produce a lot of solid players in the late first, 2nd and even third round compared to other drafts.

I also get the impression that there aren't that many, if any, WOW players in this draft, particularly at the top of the draft.

So I don't see the value in trading up and I doubt we'll see that any trades at the top.

I agree with this, except when it comes to one position. Offensive tackle. After Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson it really takes a nose dive. Then you're talkin about some right tackles and risky projects. If we still need a tackle or Ireland wants to draft a top shelf tackle he's gonna have to move up 6 spots in round 1 to get Lane Johnson. Otherwise I would stay put. I'd rather draft Trufant at 12 then give up a ton to get Milliner, who is not an elite prospect.

So in the end maybe it would be smart to give up a 2nd rounder for Brandon Albert.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:50 am

Thrawn wrote:

I don't think it's as deep as people think. I don't like the TE class at all after Eifert/Ertz. I don't like the CB class nearly as much as some on here like it.

I just want to be aggressive in getting the guys we love and need. To me, Milliner could be one of those guys. Eifert in the late first could be one. Makes moves to come out with the highest quality that you can get.

Swerve, I actually like the 2nd round OT's better than the CB's in that round. Kyle Long, Watson is a really nice prospect, Armstead is an intriguing prospect, and I know some people love (although I'll admit I'm not one of them) Justin Pugh.

That said I don't want to take care of OT with another 2nd tier rookie. They need to go the FA route to fix that position.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:42 am

Then this is a terrible draft I guess... not much happening at the top and no depth.

Let's trade for veterans.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Yeah I think you're contradicting yourself a bit here PR.

You've been on about how deep a draft it is, but in your last post you shot down a lot of the positions... which is it? lol.

I'd have no problem moving up to grab Milliner... it'd be nice to see a little aggressiveness out of the staff... but I gotta say... if we don't trade up, and Tavon Austin is there at 12 you have to consider him... he may not be a pressing need but man is that kid dynamic.

Sure, Xavier Rhodes will be there and he's "climbing draft boards" (something I think doesnt actually happen he's probably been there all along), but hell... your corners are only as good as your front 7. Grab the dynamic play-maker then use your two second rounders on the defense.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:42 am

It's deep at certain positions. It's deep at WR. Deep at RB (kind of). Deep at QB (in that there are more Day 2 quality back-up material QB's then usual), deep at DE...Like I said I think it's better in Day 2 at OT then people give it credit for being (there are a few guys I'd take over Jonathan Martin).

But I don't see it as deep at CB and TE. I've always said I hated the TE class. The CB class is good, but I'm just not nearly as high on it as most. That said, so many starting CB's now a days are coming in rounds 2 and 3, so I'm hesitant to say I won't accept waiting until then to draft one.

PZ, I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph (although I question whether Rhodes really is as high on draft boards as many are saying)...I think the difference between Rhodes/Trufant and the guys you can get in the 2nd is marginal. That's why to me, it's Milliner or bust in the 1st round if we want a CB.

I think Austin is in play because I see Bess getting traded. If not, I think they'll stay away from Tavon and go defense.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:35 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Thrawn wrote:

I don't think it's as deep as people think. I don't like the TE class at all after Eifert/Ertz. I don't like the CB class nearly as much as some on here like it.

I just want to be aggressive in getting the guys we love and need. To me, Milliner could be one of those guys. Eifert in the late first could be one. Makes moves to come out with the highest quality that you can get.

Swerve, I actually like the 2nd round OT's better than the CB's in that round. Kyle Long, Watson is a really nice prospect, Armstead is an intriguing prospect, and I know some people love (although I'll admit I'm not one of them) Justin Pugh.

That said I don't want to take care of OT with another 2nd tier rookie. They need to go the FA route to fix that position.

I can't agree with anything you just said. LOL
This draft is deep at corner, not top heavy.
It's top heavy at offensive tackle, not deep at all.
And this draft overall is very deep like Rich said, it just doesnt have a group of 15 blue chippers at the top of the first round.
Many don't even consider Long a tackle, they think he's a guard. Watson is a major risk in round 1. he's raw.
Armstead is the only 2nd rounder I like, but again is a project. And Pugh is another guy getting moved to guard because of gator arms. Most of the tackle prospects are being moved to guard. It's slim pickings in this draft.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Thrawn wrote:
Then this is a terrible draft I guess... not much happening at the top and no depth.

Let's trade for veterans.

There's plenty of depth Rich. About 5 quality rounds this year.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:15 pm

I haven't heard about Kyle Long moving to OG. And it doesn't really make sense to me given he's 6'6 with long arms...And I said Watson was a 2nd round OT, although I actually do think he's a first round talent. Watching him play, I'm going to disagree with how raw he is. I like him to start at RT day 1. Very talented guy. I like him as much as Lane Johnson, to be honest.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:18 pm

my summation from months of research:

at positions the Dolphins may want to draft.

WR - very deep, all way through the draft
TE - there's some nice ones in the top 3 rounds. Some decent projects after that.
OT - not deep, draft has 3 top notch tackles
OG - plenty of guards
DE - not all that deep or talented as once thought.
CB - plenty of corners throughout the draft.
S - should be some quality safeties through 4 rounds

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:23 pm

swerve13 wrote:

This is the great thing about entitlement programs. They give people the freedom to not have to find a job so they can do months of research on college players. :ann0y:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Quote:
Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay ranks Oregon G Kyle Long as his 29th overall prospect.
"Long is inexperienced, but his physical tools are as good as those of any other lineman in the class," McShay writes. "He needs to improve his awareness and instincts, but that should come with more reps." Expect the former baseball player turned offensive lineman to see snaps at both guard and tackle in the future.

------------------------------------------

After earning a lot of praise during his short time with Oregon, G Kyle Long's evaluation is starting to settle in the third-round, according to Draft insider Tony Pauline.
Pauline writes that Long's "stock" is headed in the wrong direction and scouts have realized it may take him some time to be NFL ready. The process might not be as quick as some expected prior to Senior Bowl week. Long missed two days of practice due to an illness.

---------------------------------------------

He is a better fit inside at guard because he struggles in space in pass protection, but with increased flexibility he could develop into a solid starter.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:29 pm

Thrawn wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

This is the great thing about entitlement programs. They give people the freedom to not have to find a job so they can do months of research on college players. :ann0y:

somehow I still find time for 50 hour work weeks

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:32 pm

swerve13 wrote:

TE - there's some nice ones in the top 3 rounds. Some decent projects after that.
OG - plenty of guards

We'll agree to disagree.

I base my summations off my own opinions from watching full game clips, not highlights or other's evaluations/rankings. So we're not going to agree on everything because everybody sees things differently, and I'm certainly not going to agree with the consensus and talking heads 100% of the time. That's fine.

That's why when the consensus last year was that the 2013 QB class would be extraordinary (Bray, Wilson, Barkley, Logan Thomas, Landry Jones all expected to be serious 1st round QB's), even better than last year's, I looked like an idiot for saying there was only 1 first round caliber QB. I ended up being right (I think). Also why I liked Christian Ponder a lot when the consensus was he was a 2nd/3rd round QB...He ended up going higher than people thought, but at the same time unless he turns around his career, I was wrong on that.

My point is I couldn't care less what others say. So my opinions are unique and go against the grain often. We're going to butt heads a lot....just ask phinsfansc...He'll tell you about how wrong I can be;).

I appreciate you're as passionate about the draft as I am though. I enjoy debating.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Long is a tough evaluation because of the style of offense Oregon runs. But looking at his physical tools and how they translate on the field, I think he's a solid starter at RT in a zone blocking scheme. Like I said though, I want OT taken care of in Free Agency. Last thing we need is 2 question marks at OT.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
I appreciate you're as passionate about the draft as I am though. I enjoy debating.

I wish I could find someone as passionate about the salary cap as I am. I need a soulmate, too.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Thrawn wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I wish I could find someone as passionate about the salary cap as I am. I need a soulmate, too.

Sarcasm aside, I've been trying to learn as much about it as I can, realizing it's probably one of my most realistic entrances into the NFL.

I had a handle on it, then learned the modifications the new CBA brought to the table, (no likely/not likely to be earned incentives, cash vs cap, roll over, etc.), and it's taken me a little bit, but I think I've got it again.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Thrawn wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

and I thought I was a nerd. LOL

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

OG - plenty of guards

We'll agree to disagree.

I base my summations off my own opinions from watching full game clips, not highlights or other's evaluations/rankings. So we're not going to agree on everything because everybody sees things differently, and I'm certainly not going to agree with the consensus and talking heads 100% of the time. That's fine.

That's why when the consensus last year was that the 2013 QB class would be extraordinary (Bray, Wilson, Barkley, Logan Thomas, Landry Jones all expected to be serious 1st round QB's), even better than last year's, I looked like an idiot for saying there was only 1 first round caliber QB. I ended up being right (I think). Also why I liked Christian Ponder a lot when the consensus was he was a 2nd/3rd round QB...He ended up going higher than people thought, but at the same time unless he turns around his career, I was wrong on that.

My point is I couldn't care less what others say. So my opinions are unique and go against the grain often. We're going to butt heads a lot....just ask phinsfansc...He'll tell you about how wrong I can be;).

it's all good bro!

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:43 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Thrawn wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

and I thought I was a nerd. LOL

You thought correctly.

I don't do months of research on the cap after a 50 hour work week. :)

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:44 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

degs wrote:
I haven't read anything that says Rhodes is a reach at #12. And who knows, we have seen stranger things than a lineman fall on draft day, or a team shock everyone and pick someone that nobody expected.

Rhodes is not a reach at 12. He is a local product (Miami Norland High School), is bigger than Milner, has a bigger wingspan, and is just as talented.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:17 pm

as a general rule I believe all corners are reaches near the top 10. Unless they have special traits like the Sanders and Revis's of the world.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:06 am

Phins Rock wrote:
I haven't heard about Kyle Long moving to OG. And it doesn't really make sense to me given he's 6'6 with long arms...And I said Watson was a 2nd round OT, although I actually do think he's a first round talent. Watching him play, I'm going to disagree with how raw he is. I like him to start at RT day 1. Very talented guy. I like him as much as Lane Johnson, to be honest.

Watson is nowhere near the player that Johnson is

Quote:
Writing for the Houston Chronicle, Lance Zierlein believes FSU T Menelik Watson is two years away from seeing the field for an NFL team.
"Some teams will be projecting Watson as a first round prospect based purely on his raw potential and undeveloped talent, but there is no way you can look at the tape and see a tackle who is ready to come in and start in the NFL as a rookie," Zierlein writes. "What bothers me the most about Watson is that he loses his balance more than I would like and he clearly needs plenty of technique work and experience to catch up."

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2