View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 Bess to be cut?? 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Bess to be cut??
Ben Volin is saying sources are telling him that Bess's time with the Dolphins may soon come to an end. Not a good move if that is the case.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Bess to be cut??
Boy, I sure hope this isn't the case, UNLESS, Tavon Austin is in their plans & even then I would hate to see Bess go.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Hope this doesn't happen!

If it does, look for the pats to jump on him!

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I agree this would not be a wise move and that was my first thought too that the pats would pick him up and terrorize us with him.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:29 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

He's still on the team. Dansby and Burnett were cut immediately.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:51 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

Its hard to see a significant role for him based on the signings. Binns offers more size and Red Zone potetial, and I don't think they envision Gibson as a 4th WR.

I don't know. I get the feeling he's traded during the draft so Miami can move up to get a player or acquire an extra mid round pick.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:32 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:

Good point. Why not go into 2013 with 4 good receivers?

And let's not forget out 7th round draft pick Rishard Matthews who showed some potential in his rookie season. Tannehill targeted him 13 times in the last 3 games (caught 9 of them).

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:33 am
Profile WWW
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Finhead34 wrote:
Boy, I sure hope this isn't the case, UNLESS, Tavon Austin is in their plans & even then I would hate to see Bess go.

Not addressing your comment, just using it for mine. Why do Miami fans love Bess so much, but yet say Gibson is nothing? Bess is slow & has a small YAC. I like Bess, but it may be time to move on & get bigger at the No. 3 spot.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:08 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Why do Miami fans love Bess so much, but yet say Gibson is nothing? Bess is slow & has a small YAC. I like Bess, but it may be time to move on & get bigger at the No. 3 spot.

I sure hope we don't see Gibson going deep any this year. It was a surprise to see Bess running some deep routes against faster cornerbacks. Not sure what the coaches were thinking.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:28 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Why do Miami fans love Bess so much, but yet say Gibson is nothing? Bess is slow & has a small YAC. I like Bess, but it may be time to move on & get bigger at the No. 3 spot.

I sure hope we don't see Gibson going deep any this year. It was a surprise to see Bess running some deep routes against faster cornerbacks. Not sure what the coaches were thinking.

Miami really had no one to go deep last year. Hartline has good speed, but he still does not scare teams deep.

That situation has been addressed with Mike Wallace and I do expect the Phins to still take a WR in the draft. If the Dolphins do trade Bess or release him, then I think Tavon Austin is back in play.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I saw this coming

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

Not addressing your comment, just using it for mine. Why do Miami fans love Bess so much, but yet say Gibson is nothing? Bess is slow & has a small YAC. I like Bess, but it may be time to move on & get bigger at the No. 3 spot.

I hear you. He's like some legend to Miami fans for some reason.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Remember Camarillo?

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:
Remember Camarillo?

No, actually I have forgotten all about him. It really wasn't that difficult.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:39 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

rodneyfaile wrote:
Remember Camarillo?

As much as I love Bess, Ireland told Ross the 2013 Dolphins were going to be one of the FASTEST teams in the league full of playmakers. But on second thought what if we draft Austin to replace Bush (see how the Pats used Woodhead) as a complimentary back to Miller? I seriously think Ireland wants to have the most explosive offense in the NFL and having Wallace, Austin & Keller to catch passes is a great start! I
I know it's a YouTube highlight video but talent is talent and I'm all in with Austin at #12!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_UNFZH ... ata_player

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:41 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Bad choice of words in the post subject...

The article says that Bess could be the next to be moved out of here based on having the plethora of receivers we have and that Gibson is similar to Bess in what he (they) do/does best...

I think they wanted to upgrade the entire WR position...seriously, if you want to argue Hartline, that's fine, although he was the best we had until FA began...Bess was the next guy on the list...now Bess is arguably #3a or 4 (depending on where you want to put Gibson in the rankings)... One thing is the WR corps is deeper than it has been, even with Marshall here...

Wallace opens up things in this offense that even Marshall couldn't with his speed. Is he better than Marshall now, it's a toss up to me, but they do some of the same things for the offense...

Wallace, Hartline, Bess, Gibson, Matthews is better than Marshall, Hartline, Bess, R Wallace, MMoore14 ?? Agreed ??

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:47 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

phinsfansc wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Miami really had no one to go deep last year. Hartline has good speed, but he still does not scare teams deep.

That situation has been addressed with Mike Wallace and I do expect the Phins to still take a WR in the draft. If the Dolphins do trade Bess or release him, then I think Tavon Austin is back in play.

I'd love to see Austin here but I'm beginning to think that won't happen...They may go after someone with 2a or 2b (Keenan Allen?). I think the thing about Bess is while he's probably a tad slower than Gibson (neither are burners), but Bess might be a bit quicker or football faster if you will...Either way, they are similar except that Gibson is a bit bigger/more stout...

However, I hope I'm wrong and they do look at Austin at #12....can you imagine a 5 deep lineup of Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Austin and whoever after that.... Bess may very well be dealt or cut then...but it's too early to call that now...

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:54 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I agree totally...I know we have needs but isn't the old addage that "you don't draft for need, you draft the best player available" and when 12 comes up you can't tell me Tavon Austin won't be the best if he's still available!

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

I hear you. He's like some legend to Miami fans for some reason.

Well I like Bess. He is not a legend to me but I do appreciate him coming in undrafted and making a positive impact on the team. I don't have numbers or statistics that come to mind as much as my impression of him on the field.

A solid contributor who has kept more than a few drives alive by making clutch 3rd down catches. He is not fumble prone and has what I think are dependable hands and does not have a lot of games missed due to injury.

Do I hope we can upgrade? Sure as long as what we are getting is an upgrade.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Bess is a poor man's Wes Welker. in the right system, he can be successful. He has good hands and seems to be money on 3rd down for getting open and finding the 1st down marker. That being said, we could upgrade over him in the draft and maybe trade him for an extra pick (not to anyone in the AFC east though).

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Two: There has been speculation (including by me) that the addition of Mike Wallace, Brandon Gibson and re-signing of Brian Hartline made the situation look grim for Davone Bess. Understand that Miami signed two inside linebackers (Dannell Ellerbe and Phillip Wheeler) the first two days of free agency and got rid of two (Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett) as a result.

So it seems logical when guys come, somebody's got to go.

That's not necessarily how the Dolphins see it. They have no plans to cut him, I'm told. Yes, if some team blows Miami away on a trade, then Bess, like most of the players on the roster is available, but the likelihood of that is not very high.

At this point the plan is to let Miami's receivers compete for playing time. Bess, who finished the 2012 season on injured reserve, is expected to be part of that competition.

By the way, Dolphins fans have to get away from the idea that a team needs only three good wide receivers. The Dolphins currently have four receivers who have started games in the NFL and produced. That is a good thing

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

MDolfan: Those were wicked highlights on Austin!! I sure hope Miami finds a way to get this kid, talk about explosive.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I hope nobody gets their hopes up for Tavon Austin because I highly doubt we'll consider him now.
I don't see how it's not going to be a corner or a pass rusher at 12.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
According to the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero, Davone Bess' roster spot isn't in immediate danger.
Per Salguero, the Dolphins' current plan is to let Bess duke it out with Brandon Gibson for No. 3 receiver duties in camp. They're redundant talents, and Miami isn't going to cut Gibson, so it still seems more likely than not Bess is somewhere else come Week 1.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:16 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Finhead34 wrote:
MDolfan: Those were wicked highlights on Austin!! I sure hope Miami finds a way to get this kid, talk about explosive.

Yeah I just keep thinking about how many weapons Aaron Rogers had before they drafted Cobb even though they had other pressing needs. I know he wasn't a 1st rd pick but he was explosive so they went and got him. We can get OL, CB, and DE after rd 2 but Tavon Austin doesn't come along every day! PR, KR, RB & WR all in one pick!

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't think Bess leaving the Dolphins will be anything like when Wes Welker left. It would be more like when Camarillo left, showing just how far we have to go to catch up to the level of other teams.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:22 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rodneyfaile wrote:
I don't think Bess leaving the Dolphins will be anything like when Wes Welker left. It would be more like when Camarillo left, showing just how far we have to go to catch up to the level of other teams.

Bess is better than you think

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Bess is better than you think

I think he is very good, but isn't as good as some think. He is not Wes Welker.

Some were very angry when Camarillo left. Some thought favre would make him a star, but he could barely get on the field. Bess would not even start on many NFL teams. The ones he would play for, he would be about the same as he is on the Dolphins now, just a good WR, not a Wes Welker. Just my opinion. Nothing wrong with being just a good WR.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:23 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

maybe the Colts give us another pick for one of our players again.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/BG/ ... Irsay-says

Quote:
Possible targets could include Emmanuel Sanders, a restricted free agent with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Miami’s Davone Bess. Acquiring Sanders would require signing him to an offer sheet. The Steelers would have seven days to match the offer or lose him to the Colts and receive a third-round draft pick as compensation.

Adding Bess would involve a trade with the Dolphins. He’s under contract for 2013 with a base salary of $2.6 million.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Dolphins coach Joe Philbin indicated that Davone Bess will be competing for a roster spot in training camp.
Bess will have a non-guaranteed $2.63 million salary working against him as he competes with players due far less money. Philbin lumped Bess in with "10-12 receivers" the Dolphins plan to bring to camp, competing for jobs. It's quite possible Bess will be on the trade block leading up to April's draft.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51285129/ ... ayer_news/

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:07 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Unless they draft a receiver in the first couple of rounds, I think Bess will be hard to beat. What's working against him is his salary since we just signed to high priced receivers in Free Agency. I think Bess is worth the money.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Unless they draft a receiver in the first couple of rounds, I think Bess will be hard to beat. What's working against him is his salary since we just signed to high priced receivers in Free Agency. I think Bess is worth the money.

It does work against him but $2.6m is not a lot of money for a receiver of his caliber

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]