View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Free Agent Tackles 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Free Agent Tackles
Just so you guys get an idea of what is left out there, let's look at some PFF analysis on the remaining free agent tackles.

Right Tackle Andre Smith was rated as the 4th best offensive tackle in the NFL by PFF (19th in pass protection, 6th in run blocking, 7th in screen blocking). He allowed 7 sacks, 2 QB hits and 24 QB hurries in 2012. Smith was ranked 28th overall in 2011.

Right tackle Sebastian Vollmer was rated 13th (22nd in pass protection, 20th in run blocking, 5th in screen blocking). He allowed 6 sacks, 7 QB hits and 22 hurries. Vollmer was ranked 23rd overall in 2011.

Right tackle Eric Winston was ranked 26th overall (24th in pass protection, 13th in run blocking, 46th in screen blocking). He allowed 3 sacks, 6 QB hits and 25 QB hurries. Winston was ranked 10th overall in 2011.

Right tackle Barry Richardson was ranked 41st overall (45th in pass protection, 34th in run blocking, 46th in screen blocking). He allowed 7 sacks, 13 QB hits and 25 QB hurries. Richardson was ranked 75th overall in 2011.

Some other tackles that are available.

RT Winston Justice, ranked 45th overall

RT Sean Locklear, ranked 51st overall

LT Demetrius Bell, ranked 78th overall

So there are 4 options in free agency that, according to PFF, performed better than Jake Long in 2012, and will probably cost less.

Just for perspective, Jake Long was ranked 46th in 2012 and 21st in 2011 after being ranked 10th in 2008, 2nd in 2009 and 2nd in 2010. Just to give you an idea of how far he has dropped off.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Free Agent Tackles
My best guess is Winston is signed.

Can Martin play inside? Can he pull? I only ask this because if Miami signs Winston and say the opportunity to draft any of the top tackles is there then perhaps you get all bases covered.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:12 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Idk why you would sign a guy 46th in screen blocking... doesn't this zone blocking scheme require mobile offensive lineman?

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Idk why you would sign a guy 46th in screen blocking... doesn't this zone blocking scheme require mobile offensive lineman?

Cost and commitment. With the amount of decent to good prospects in the draft a guy like Winston might have to accept a bargain offer. Miami can sign him and draft someone.

I think Smith and Vollmer will require too much money. Vollmer played through a bad back I guess and that spells eventual IR to me. Smith has effort questions, doesn't seem like a Philbin guy.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:37 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Vollmer(29) is as banged up as Jake Long...He had offseason knee surgery.

And he is very average.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I love Vollmer. He can play either side and is easily a top 5 RT in the game.

He has to check out medically, but I think he'd be an upgrade to Long, and given his athleticism is a much better scheme fit. Vollmer has been number 1 on my free agent wish list all along. Hope we make a run at him.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:40 am

IamPZ wrote:

It's just a ranking based on raw data. There were several tackles tied for 21st and several tied for 46th and statistically they were not far apart.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the only other option before the draft is still Brandon Albert. Supposedly the Chiefs are still considering trading him.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I could see us signing Eric Winston to a short term deal (1 year) and drafting a kid in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop and eventually take over at RT. I believe that our coaches think Martin is our long term answer at LT, so I expect him to start there this season. While seeing Long go sucks, I think we all saw this coming months ago. Now it's time to turn the page and move on. This years draft is supposedly very deep in terms of offensive line, I expect we'll take at least two linemen to develop and eventually start.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
I could see us signing Eric Winston to a short term deal (1 year) and drafting a kid in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop and eventually take over at RT. I believe that our coaches think Martin is our long term answer at LT, so I expect him to start there this season. While seeing Long go sucks, I think we all saw this coming months ago. Now it's time to turn the page and move on. This years draft is supposedly very deep in terms of offensive line, I expect we'll take at least two linemen to develop and eventually start.

I like that. I'd go with Winston and Terron Armstead, an athletic zone guy in round 2

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I like that. I'd go with Winston and Terron Armstead, an athletic zone guy in round 2

If we go with a rookie I'd like to see us get Lane Johnson from Oklahoma at 12 or D.J. Fluker if he falls to the 2nd round. Both guys are great prospects. I also really like Barrett Jones from Alabama. The guy played three positions on that Alabama offensive line, and he played all three at a high level, including left tackle. I think he'd be a great player to add because of his versatility.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
I love Vollmer. He can play either side and is easily a top 5 RT in the game.

He has to check out medically, but I think he'd be an upgrade to Long, and given his athleticism is a much better scheme fit. Vollmer has been number 1 on my free agent wish list all along. Hope we make a run at him.

A club source told me this morning the team plans a corresponding move to upgrade the offensive line. That move isn't necessarily the signing of a left tackle. Indeed, the best offensive lineman on the market now is New England's Sebastian Vollmer, who is a right tackle.

It is possible the Dolphins go after Vollmer to upgrade at right tackle and move forward with Martin at left tackle. It must be noted that Vollmer comes with red flags. He missed all of training camp last year with back issues. He played throughout the season, even practicing during the week, but the back was constantly an issue for him.

He also suffered back issues in 2011.

This is a concern, no matter how you slice it. New England has not been in a rush to sign him and there is a reason why.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]