View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Herald: Culver wants to be the answer @ FS 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Herald: Culver wants to be the answer @ FS
Quote:
Culver impressed the Dolphins brass enough in 2008 to get a two-year contract extension. He got into all 16 games last year, started two when the Dolphins opened in nickel packages, had four passes knocked down and one picked off.

``I feel like I stepped in quite a bit with the nickel and dime packages the last two years, so I definitely showed I'm able to play on the field,'' Culver said. ``It's a matter of progressing each year.''

Culver got a chance up close to see Wilson's struggles, some of which Ireland laid off on the Dolphins having rookie cornerbacks Sean Smith and Vontae Davis making a combined 25 starts as they completed on-the-job training. Of course, that was a month before the Dolphins cut Wilson.

``Sometimes, a young corner, you do have to tell them more and guide them, but that's your job as a safety is to make sure everybody's on the right page,'' Culver said.

``I think Vontae and Sean did a great job for us last year and I think they'll do very well this year. As a safety, you've got to focus on doing your job, but making sure everybody else is on the right page.''

Throughout the season, it was axiomatic that the Dolphins had two strong safeties in Wilson and Yeremiah Bell, but no actual free safety.

``I played both last year and the year before,'' Culver said. ``They're really interchangeable. We've got a new system coming in and we're all excited to learn that. Free and strong are very similar in most schemes.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/06/1 ... z0kQW3Seio

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Post Re: Herald: Culver wants to be the answer @ FS
I would like to see Tyrone get a shot. I think he can do the job.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

And if he can't? What happens if you go into the season with him being your primary answer at that position and he sucks? I know you have to roll the dice sometimes, but if he wiffs, this year will be worse than last year IMO. Of course our corner situation should be vastly improved from last year (I HOPE).

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:37 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

No problems we just move J. Allen back to safety, right. lol

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:49 am

Phin, Miami is going to draft a FS anyway, but that still does not mean that Tyrone will not get a chance to prove that he can do the job.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:55 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Phin, Miami is going to draft a FS anyway, but that still does not mean that Tyrone will not get a chance to prove that he can do the job.

You mean SHOULD. haha
Don't take anything for granted with this team.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:22 pm

Boy Phin, I am FEELING the negaitive vibes coming from you...... :angry:

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:21 am
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

We have a host of potential Superheroes on the Dolphins' roster, but until they can put on the cape, it's more like the 'Sidekicks' that get together on episodes of 'the Tick'.

Tyrone Culver may be 'Safety Man' with the big S on his chest, but he has been in the league for three years and two teams and hasn't been able to start more than 2 games. He gets into the games, and ST is important, too, but right now he's 'Coulda-Shoulda-Woulda' Man and that S can become a target on his chest real quick.
Jason Allen may be Safety Man, but he hasn't been Safety Man or Corner Man or anything but 'Very Good STer' Man. He has been Enigma Man. In fact, this might be a good year to stick him in a position and say 'Sink or Swim, you either make it or you're gone'.
Chris Clemons is the hope here, that maybe he can be Safety Man. Young, physically gifted, by all reports so far he's coachable and willing. However, so far he proved that he is 'A Long Way To Go' Man.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:33 am

paw, I seem to remember this RB by the name of Preist Holmes that was similar to Culver. He had been in the league for a few years and had not done to much, but got life and a chance with Kansas City. The rest is history.

A FS will be drafted mostly likely, I just think Culver can do the job.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:53 am

Oh there's potential, don't get me wrong. I WANT someone to seize S and give us another Jarvis Williams to go with big thump Louis Oliver that we have in Yeremiah Bell, I truly do.
Culver showed he's capable of better at FS than Wilson was, 0 missed tackles and an Int in a third of the snaps (Wilson had 9 missed tackles and 0 Ints).
Jason Allen showed some stuff in flashes as he always does, but nothing I'm really confident about.
Clemons is so very raw that doesn't inspire much confidence either. Do I hope one of them makes it as a legit starter? Heck yeah, I want him (whomever he is) to be the second coming of Jake Scott.
I'm not down on Culver, or Allen or Clemons...it's just that what we had there with Wilson stunk and neither of the three of them could oust him.
It is an area of critical need imho.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]