View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:42 am



Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork 
Author Message
Online
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 9164
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork
:yay:

Barry Jackson wrote:
Lazor adjusted Tannehill’s footwork, and Tannehill said that has paid dividends.

"It’s helped me get the ball out faster, have more velocity on some of my throws, and just be more consistent,” Tannehill said Monday. “Some of the incompletions I’ve had in the past are due to inconsistent footwork. That was his big key coming in to say: ‘Hey, we’re going to get your feet right and then everything else will take care of itself.’”

Tannehill threw a 30-yard completion to Mike Wallace on Monday and said he believes he and Wallace “are more on the same page now than we ever have been. Not only on deep balls, but [overall]. No matter what the route is, what the play is, we’re able to talk about things, be open with each other and be more on the same page.”


Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 984
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits new Lazor with improving his footwork
Footwork is always the key to consistency, and mobile QBs, like Tanne was in college, always have a tougher time because they have a tendency to play flat footed, because if your going to run it's better to have both feet on the ground, but proper QB footwork is constant foot movement.

The reason is for pivoting your body, as a QB your not supposed to "look" to your left or right, but pivot your entire body so that your always in position to throw, if someone is open your already in position, flat footed QBs have that tendency to "look" instead of pivot, and if someone is open then either they throw from bad position, which leads to inconsistency, or they have to then turn their body into proper position, but by that time the WR may no longer be open, sometimes it's a tiny window of opportunity and in the NFL you have to be prepared to grab any opportunity, and something as simple sounding as footwork gets you those extra opportunities.

Think of it like a house, and the footwork is part of the foundation, you never hear anyone talking about the foundation unless of course it's bad, then the whole house is bad until that foundation is fixed.

The real test/problem is when put in pressure situations people have a tendency to revert to what is natural for them, so massive reps is needed, this is why I had no problem with Sherman trying to make him a pocket QB first, you have to engrain that in or he will continue to revert.

When Evander Holyfield moved from cruiser weight to heavy weight he and his trainers tried to tweak his style to deal with the larger fighters he'd be facing, they knew that everyone he was going to fight was going to be bigger, so they started to turn him into more of a traditional "boxer", jab, stick and move type stuff, and he was very good at it, however, as soon as the fighter landed a hard punch then Holyfield would revert back to trading punches in the middle of the ring, which is why he got the nick name "the warrior".

It worked for Holyfield because he had an iron jaw, but not everyone is that fortunate, Tanne is as coachable a player as you could ask for so he has a leg up on many players in his position, hopefully they can really engrain that into part of his "natural" routine.

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:03 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 6799
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits new Lazor with improving his footwork
Nice write up Finster.


Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 984
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits new Lazor with improving his footwork
Thanks Mak.

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:17 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6006
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork
Another thing I like is the decision making. I've watched some guys do screen breakdowns of the 6 passes he threw against Atlanta with a few complaining that he checked down too quickly on 1st down.

I argue the opposite. The Tannehill of last year would hold the ball too long, look for the bigger play, and end up missing or getting sacked which in turn creates a 2nd or 3rd and long situation. Pass for 5 yards, run for a couple more and suddenly you have 3rd and short. Last year the Dolphins had way too many 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 10 situations.

I really like what Lazor is doing to help both Tannehill and the offense in general.


Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:29 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 984
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork
jammer wrote:
Another thing I like is the decision making. I've watched some guys do screen breakdowns of the 6 passes he threw against Atlanta with a few complaining that he checked down too quickly on 1st down.

I argue the opposite. The Tannehill of last year would hold the ball too long, look for the bigger play, and end up missing or getting sacked which in turn creates a 2nd or 3rd and long situation. Pass for 5 yards, run for a couple more and suddenly you have 3rd and short. Last year the Dolphins had way too many 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 10 situations.

I really like what Lazor is doing to help both Tannehill and the offense in general.


Checkdowns are better than sacks, thats for sure.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:57 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork
The first drive against the Falcons was impressive. Baby steps like that are nice and from a functional standpoint, I haven't seen our passing offense look like that in a very long time.

However, I don't care about anything other than how he looks when everyone is playing at full speed in the regular season. Way too many different agendas going between veterans, rookies, contract year guys, and street free agents during the preseason.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:56 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6486
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork
Polian's a big fan.

http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2014/b ... -tannehill

Quote:
“[He's] exceptionally bright, exceptionally high character, all Dolphin fans know that,” said Polian. “I love Ryan Tannehill. I said on ESPN in my first year as an analyst, having scouted all three quarterbacks for the Colts, that I thought that Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Ryan Tannehill were the three can’t miss quarterbacks in that draft and Russell Wilson wasn’t far behind. Ryan has proven to be a sound and solid quarterback. He’s gotten better every year, his statistics are very, very good, [and] they compare very favorably with RGIII and with Andrew.”


Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:36 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6006
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork
Finster wrote:
jammer wrote:
Another thing I like is the decision making. I've watched some guys do screen breakdowns of the 6 passes he threw against Atlanta with a few complaining that he checked down too quickly on 1st down.

I argue the opposite. The Tannehill of last year would hold the ball too long, look for the bigger play, and end up missing or getting sacked which in turn creates a 2nd or 3rd and long situation. Pass for 5 yards, run for a couple more and suddenly you have 3rd and short. Last year the Dolphins had way too many 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 10 situations.

I really like what Lazor is doing to help both Tannehill and the offense in general.


Checkdowns are better than sacks, thats for sure.


If he can be more Pennington-like in just moving the chains but with the ability to rip some intermediate to deep throws when needed then this team will win. I always thought Pennington got more credit than he deserved but I cannot take away the fact that he was efficient and helped that team overachieve. I want Tannehill to be efficient like that.


Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:29 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 984
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork
jammer wrote:
Finster wrote:
jammer wrote:
Another thing I like is the decision making. I've watched some guys do screen breakdowns of the 6 passes he threw against Atlanta with a few complaining that he checked down too quickly on 1st down.

I argue the opposite. The Tannehill of last year would hold the ball too long, look for the bigger play, and end up missing or getting sacked which in turn creates a 2nd or 3rd and long situation. Pass for 5 yards, run for a couple more and suddenly you have 3rd and short. Last year the Dolphins had way too many 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 10 situations.

I really like what Lazor is doing to help both Tannehill and the offense in general.


Checkdowns are better than sacks, thats for sure.


If he can be more Pennington-like in just moving the chains but with the ability to rip some intermediate to deep throws when needed then this team will win. I always thought Pennington got more credit than he deserved but I cannot take away the fact that he was efficient and helped that team overachieve. I want Tannehill to be efficient like that.


Totally agree.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:56 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 984
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork
I've been inspired by Tanne working on his footwork so I've started working on my footwork and am happy to say that I have shaved 2 1/2 steps off my trip to the beer cooler. (happy buzzed smiley)

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:58 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21757
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits new Lazor with improving his footwork
Finster wrote:
Think of it like a house, and the footwork is part of the foundation, you never hear anyone talking about the foundation unless of course it's bad, then the whole house is bad until that foundation is fixed.


Yep, we coach our kids to always play on the ball of their feet. We coach our QBs to always play almost on their tippy toes and to bounce a little bit. Keep your feet live so your body adjusts to whatever is going on more quickly.

Also, throwing from the ball of your feet allows you to pivot more and put more power behind your throws. We coach our kids to use their hips and feet to get more power on their throws rather than use their arm.

You can put all of the force in the world behind your throw with your arm, but chances are that throw will be more inaccurate than if you use your feet and hips to put the force behind the throw.

Arm strength is important for that velocity, but your feet and hips are important for that trajectory, distance and accuracy.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 984
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork
Totally agree, and just like with boxing, baseball, hockey etc, true power comes from the hips, because once you get that hip going forward the entire body comes with it and acts as almost a sling shot effect.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:31 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6486
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork
I keep hearing alot of media love for Tannehill as a qb ready to take the next step. John Clayton just said he,s the best thing he's seen so far this preseason.


Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:49 pm
Profile
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 613
Post Re: Ryan Tannehill credits Lazor with improving his footwork
How bout working on picks and fumbles, for points to other team.

_________________
Image


Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:30 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Dave and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.