View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 5 Moves Miami Should Make 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post 5 Moves Miami Should Make
Free agency is less than two weeks away, I've read a lot of opinions in here and a lot of what the writers have said. Obviously some of my suggestions are filled with assumption. This is what I've come up with after digesting everyone else's opinion.

1. Overpay Mike Wallace - Not exactly original, but Miami has to avoid another Clyde Gates scenario by being cheap in the draft. Wallace is 26, lightning fast, has the same drop rate as Hartline (dispels butterfinger myth), by all reports is a good teammate (dispels disruptive diva myth) and gives Miami the one thing they've been missing for years. Ireland is under short and long term pressure to win, Wallace helps with both.

2. Sign Dwight Freeney - But the draft is so DE rich? All I've read lately is how inflated the values of some of these guys are. You sign Freeney and you instantly make the pass rush better. You let Odrick move to a more natural DT position and you buy yourself at least another season to see what you have in Vernon. If BPA at 12 is a DE then draft him and have an awesome rotation of pass rushers with both veteran and youthful insurance at the position.

3. Trade for Miles Austin - I think Hartline is gone. Even worse I think he's a Patriot for the next 3-4 seasons. If Dallas has to cut Austin they get nothing in return. His contract has no guaranteed money. You call up Jerry, tell him to do what has to do to get under the cap and you will send him a 4th round pick at 5pm on March 12th. You get your #2 receiver for no guaranteed contract and a track record of production. Former ACORN!!!

4. Sign Dustin Keller - I know there is an injury concern but that might actually make him more affordable. I'm assuming Cook is franchised, Finley is still a Packer, Walker is still a 49er and Davis' injury was really bad. Signing Keller gives you an experienced seem threat and weakens a division rival. He also doesn't make you overdraft a TE...again. For what its worth you can still see if Egnew really turns it around without the pressure of starting.

5. Re-sign Anthony Fasano - Give him the H-Back role, continue to use him in Red Zone situations and maintain his locker room leadership. I don't think he'll have a big market and with a TE rich draft his best chance to succeed might be staying in Miami.

I realize what I've proposed doesn't solve everything, heck not even half of what needs to be done. But we can't act like this is Madden football and Miami is the only team shopping. There will only be a certain amount of moves they get done and these five are the ones I'm hoping they have in place by a few days into FA. Yes the Austin move could be tough, but there is a history between Austin, Ireland, Dallas and Miami. Its time to be bold and I think this formula gets Miami in position to win a few more games.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:31 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: 5 Moves Miami Should Make
Great write up Jammer, getting Freeny maybe a stretch, but I understand your point.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:28 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Hey some nice new insights here. First I've heard of the Austin idea... I think it's a bit of a stretch but the NFL is full of surprises every year.

You didn't even really hit on the draft and still had a pretty impressive offseason there. Can't wait for everything to unfold!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Hey some nice new insights here. First I've heard of the Austin idea... I think it's a bit of a stretch but the NFL is full of surprises every year.

You didn't even really hit on the draft and still had a pretty impressive offseason there. Can't wait for everything to unfold!

I think its a bit premature to predict or suggest draft picks until we see what happens in two weeks.

A rumor was floated about Austin being released. This guy Chris Kouffman from Universal Draft had talked a month ago about the real possibility of Miami trading for a WR, and then Omar Kelly gave the particulars of his contract. Heck today Kelly even said he'd deal a 2nd rounder for Austin and this is coming from a guy who says don't trade picks for players.

You can't do everythign in FA but if you focus on a few guys and have the resources (which Miami finally does) then I don't think its hard to make those suggestions happen. I'd actually be okay with Miami dealing a better pick than their 4th and I also would guess that Dallas has to consider it.

KC just traded for Alex Smith so I guess Miami can move on Austin if they want to. So much for not making moves until the season begins.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

I think its a bit premature to predict or suggest draft picks until we see what happens in two weeks.

I agree. Miami's plans will start to unfold by what they do through free agency. I think they will re-sign a few of their own free agents prior to the start of free agency. Then try and plug a few more holes through free agency. Once that happens we will know what positions need to be addressed in the draft.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
3. Trade for Miles Austin - I think Hartline is gone. Even worse I think he's a Patriot for the next 3-4 seasons. If Dallas has to cut Austin they get nothing in return. His contract has no guaranteed money. You call up Jerry, tell him to do what has to do to get under the cap and you will send him a 4th round pick at 5pm on March 12th. You get your #2 receiver for no guaranteed contract and a track record of production. Former ACORN!!!.

If its for a 4th then I'm alright with it, but Austin's body concerns me & this may not be factual, but it seems to me he is always fighting some type of injury.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:40 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

That would be nice if that could come together. Dwight Freeney has said he would be willing to take a role as a part-time player, which makes him much more affordable.

You have mentioned Miles Austin before and his contract is not a bad one to take on. He is an upgrade over Hartline, and it looks like he will not be back in Miami.

Keller would be a nice weapon and it would hurt a division foe in the Jets. Would not mind bringing Fasano back, but not at the money he was making.

It would not address all the needs, but it would help with a good portion of the needs.

Last edited by phinsfansc on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:42 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:
3. Trade for Miles Austin - I think Hartline is gone. Even worse I think he's a Patriot for the next 3-4 seasons. If Dallas has to cut Austin they get nothing in return. His contract has no guaranteed money. You call up Jerry, tell him to do what has to do to get under the cap and you will send him a 4th round pick at 5pm on March 12th. You get your #2 receiver for no guaranteed contract and a track record of production. Former ACORN!!!.

If its for a 4th then I'm alright with it, but Austin's body concerns me & this may not be factual, but it seems to me he is always fighting some tight of injury.

You're correct and even Jason Garrett admitted Austin played hurt all year. The question for me is whether a 75% Austin is better than anyone Miami currently has? Maybe it was playing with Romo but Austin doesn't seem to have a hard time finding the end zone and creating some big plays.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I like some of your thoughts Jammer. Wallace, Freeney and Austin would be immediate bolsters to the team.

However, I prefer that Miami go after the number one tight end in the draft and get creative and trade back into the first to snag Eifert. I think that kid is going be a good one. Would just like to see Ireland just go for it.

Imagine an offense with Mike Wallace and Miles Austin lining up opposite one another with Bess in the slot and Eifert at tight end.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
However, I prefer that Miami go after the number one tight end in the draft and get creative and trade back into the first to snag Eifert. I think that kid is going be a good one. Would just like to see Ireland just go for it.

I have no problem with that approach

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:20 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Only thing is.. That's the wrong Austin. We want Tavon Austin. :ann0y:

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:15 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

hypocritex wrote:
Only thing is.. That's the wrong Austin. We want Tavon Austin. :ann0y:

:grin:

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
It would not address all the needs, but it would help with a good portion of the needs.

Don't forget the draft picks that aren't accounted for in this plan.
It covers a lot before the draft even begins

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:

If its for a 4th then I'm alright with it, but Austin's body concerns me & this may not be factual, but it seems to me he is always fighting some tight of injury.

You're correct and even Jason Garrett admitted Austin played hurt all year. The question for me is whether a 75% Austin is better than anyone Miami currently has? Maybe it was playing with Romo but Austin doesn't seem to have a hard time finding the end zone and creating some big plays.

he has chronic hamstring, hip and ankle injuries. I always like Miles but he appears to be a guy who might be close to done. I think Hartline might be a better option at this point.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:24 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Jammer, I have to say you made 5 good suggestions. I was expecting to see a link to a South Florida media paper.

How about the cornerback position?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:15 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Big Dave wrote:
Jammer, I have to say you made 5 good suggestions. I was expecting to see a link to a South Florida media paper.

How about the cornerback position?

I know there is a lot of buzz about Cary Williams, and I do like him, but Keenan Lewis of Pittsburgh would be a nice option. He may not be quite as expensive as Williams also.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't see why you can't still draft Tavon Austin after making those moves.

I think Ireland goes cheap at CB and drafts one too.

Miami has a lot of money. Even after making these moves and signing picks they will still have maybe 15 million to spend.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:26 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Would rather take a run at Paul Kruger

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]