View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Dolphins should (finally) be able to draft play-making WR 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins should (finally) be able to draft play-making WR
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 9467.story

NDIANAPOLIS – There's no reason for the Miami Dolphins to emerge from this year's draft without a play-making wide receiver.

Because while this class doesn't have the high-profile, superstar game-changers that will go among the first 10 picks, it's full of big, fast guys – Cal's Keenan Allen, Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson, Louisiana Tech's Quinton Patton, Baylor's Terrance Williams, for example -- who almost break the mold for the position.

Their showing during workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis confirmed Miami can get such a game-breaking player in the second or third rounds.

I was at the weigh-ins here and I was looking at the receivers and I was just thinking to myself how much bigger these guys really are," Kansas City general manager John Dorsey said. "There were a lot of guys between the 210- and 220-(pound) range this year and you normally don't see that."

The Dolphins have the 12th pick of the first round, two picks in the second round (Nos. 42 and 54) and two picks in the third round (Nos. 77 and 82). They've said their top need is playmakers, but specifically they really need playmaking wide receivers.

"Obviously with the new rules and the way it is, you need guys that can make big plays," Denver executive John Elway said.

Allen (6-2, 206), who has a knee ailment, didn't run the 40-yard dash at the Combine. But his stock remains pretty solid.

Patton (6-0, 204, 4.53) had 79 receptions for 1,202 yards and 11 touchdowns last season. Patterson (6-2, 216, 4.4), who also dabbled kickoff returner and running back, had 46 receptions for 778 yards and five touchdowns. Williams (6-2, 208, 4.5) had 97 receptions for 1,832 yards and 12 touchdowns. Clemson's DeAndre Hopkins (6-1, 214, 4.5) had 82 receptions for 1,405 yards and 18 touchdowns. They remain possibilities for Miami as big, physical game changers.

West Virginia's Stedman Bailey (5-10, 193, 4.52 second 40-yard dash) doesn't have head-turning size or speed, the Miramar High School product has proven his playmaking ability. Last season he had 72 receptions for 1,279 yards and 12 touchdowns.

"What I hear, time and time again, 'He's only 5-10, and he's probably not going to do that in the NFL against bigger corners,' " Bailey said. "I feel like if I was 6-3, 6-2 or anything over 6-foot, with the numbers I put up, I'd probably be the No. 1 receiver. But that's not the case."

The same is true for diminutive West Virginia speedster Tavon Austin (5-8, 174). He ran a 4.34-second 40-yard dash, the fastest by a wide receiver at this year's Combine.

USC's Robert Woods (6-0, 201, 4.5) could have what Miami needs as a playmaker. Last season he had 76 receptions for 876 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Tennessee's Justin Hunter (6-4, 196, 4.4) could be another draft target for Miami. The Vols, in fact, have tremendous wide receiver representation among Patterson, Hunter and Tennessee Tech's Da'Rick Rodgers (6-2, 217, 4.5), who transferred from Tennessee.

The Dolphins have to fix their deficiency at wide receiver, and the Combine showed this remains a good draft for difference-making wide receivers.

"You're always looking for guys that can break a game open," Elway said. "With where the game is going, those wide receivers are that important."

Copyright © 2013, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins should (finally) be able to draft play-making WR
Miami can ill afford to miss on this pick "if" they go wide receiver in the first round. They need an impact player from day one & I say this even if they get Mike Wallace. Wide outs that are all lumped together like this with talent makes me nervous and especially with Ireland.

He will really need to research high and low and just cannot miss.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:17 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I heard someone compare Patterson to Julio Jones & Hunter to AJ Green

I'm excited about getting most of these guys in the 2nd round. I'd rather we not take a WR in the 1st unless we can some how trade down.

Btw is this some sort of draft class record for the number of WRs with such a size/speed combo?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If Miami signs Wallace in free agency I don't see them grabbing another WR with the 1st round pick. They will fill one of the other needs DE, DB or O-line with the 1st round pick. What Miami does in free agency will dictate what they do in the draft.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:54 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

bobby0112 wrote:
If Miami signs Wallace in free agency I don't see them grabbing another WR with the 1st round pick. They will fill one of the other needs DE, DB or O-line with the 1st round pick. What Miami does in free agency will dictate what they do in the draft.

The value at WR in this draft is in rounds 2-4. It makes more sense to sign Wallace and take a player in rounds 2-4 than to draft a WR with our first pick.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I really think it comes down to Ansah vs. Patterson. Ireland's gonna like them both. There's a good chance Ansah's not even available when it's our turn so I'd go with Patterson regardless of whether we sign Wallace. Then our other four high picks can be used on defense, tight end and maybe a tackle.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
I really think it comes down to Ansah vs. Patterson. Ireland's gonna like them both. There's a good chance Ansah's not even available when it's our turn so I'd go with Patterson regardless of whether we sign Wallace. Then our other four high picks can be used on defense, tight end and maybe a tackle.

This wouldn't be the way I go if I were in charge. But I can imagine the threat created by overstacking the WR position like that. It would turn a perennial weakness into an extreme strength and excite the fan base.

It would be interesting.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would go for a stellar defensive starter for pick number 12 & one who will plug into the line up from day one.

Move out of one of our number two's and trade back into the latter part of the first round and snag Tyler Eifert -TE from Notre Dame.

Then I would go after Terrance Williams -Wide Out from Baylor with Miami's other second round draft pick.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Few notes I read this weekend:

Rumors flying that Miami is going to target Wallace and be aggressive.

Philbin not as high on Jennings as some are trying to imply.

Its easier to draft the next Jennings than it is the next Mike Wallace.

Miles Austin might be available but Jerry Jones is denying it.

I love this time of year. If you asked me last Friday I would have said Miami is signing Jennings and drafting a speedster. Now my gut says Wallace.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:13 am

swerve13 wrote:

Patterson's stock seems to be coming back down to earth at the combine despite his 40 time.

Also, he has only done it for one season and even in that season, he hasn't really done IT. Remember Ireland's philosophy is to try to avoid players with short resumes. Tannehill was the exception, but his offensive coordinator was in Miami to vouch for him.

I don't see him being the pick at 12.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Patterson's stock seems to be coming back down to earth at the combine despite his 40 time.

Also, he has only done it for one season and even in that season, he hasn't really done IT. Remember Ireland's philosophy is to try to avoid players with short resumes. Tannehill was the exception, but his offensive coordinator was in Miami to vouch for him.

I agree. The only WR at 12 I would see them entertaining is Keenan Allen and that is because of his track record and supposed ability to run all of the routes. I do know he said that Philbin sat him down and had him break down how to read coverages and adjust.

I don't see Miami taking a WR in the 1st round unless they trade back into the 20s.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:54 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Patterson is such a rare talent, he has instincts in the open field you only see every 20 years or so. He's raw but upside through the roof. He can return the ball, catch tha ball and run and can be used on a alot of end arounds. He can take it to the house on every play. You don't pass on that type of guy.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 am

swerve13 wrote:
Patterson is such a rare talent, he has instincts in the open field you only see every 20 years or so.

Sorry, but this is hyperbole. I'm sure he has terrific athletic talent, but to say he has an ability that you only see once every 20 years is a bit much.

Quote:
He can take it to the house on every play.

So I'm assuming when he plays in the NFL they'll throw him a bubble screen on every play and he'll score 23 touchdowns a game.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

that;s just your opinion. All you have to do is watch game tape. I can't remember a recent receiver making defenders look that ridiculous tryin to get a hand on him. He has rare ability, not just speed.

Mayock even called him a Jawdropping player. Just call em like I see em man.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:50 pm

We've heard this type of stuff before and then when they get to the Pros sometimes these high ceiling, high potential players disappoint. Reggie Bush was supposed to be a "generational player" and this was less than 20 years ago.

I'm not trying to downplay what Patterson may become, but usually with "high ceiling" players who don't have a lengthy resume, there is a significant boom or bust factor.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:56 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:
Patterson is such a rare talent, he has instincts in the open field you only see every 20 years or so.

Well that's the exaggeration of the year....

Patton, Bailey, Austin, Hopkins and even Keenan Allen all had as much or more YAC/catch than Cordarrelle.
He also had the 3rd most drops of the supposed top 9 WR's.

He's a great athlete...although not special enough that I'd consider him a generational athlete; hell, not even the best athlete at his position on his team. Not necessarily a great WR (yet). Has a lot of work to do.

He's talented, but there's a reason that in a class without a star WR, he's still viewed as a borderline top 15 pick.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

there aren't too many guys going high in this draft with "lengthy resumes" as you say.
Half of these guys are being picked high purely on athletic ability. (Ziggy Ansah, Mingo, Dion Jordan)

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Well that's the exaggeration of the year....

Patton, Bailey, Austin, Hopkins and even Keenan Allen all had as much or more YAC/catch than Cordarrelle.
He also had the 3rd most drops of the supposed top 9 WR's.

He's a great athlete...although not special enough that I'd consider him a generational athlete; hell, not even the best athlete at his position on his team. Not necessarily a great WR (yet). Has a lot of work to do.

He's talented, but there's a reason that in a class without a star WR, he's still viewed as a borderline top 15 pick.

oh please, none of those have the open field instincts of Patterson, don't embaress yourself. again!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

there's a reason why Patterson is talked about in the top 10 and none of those other receivers are ever mentioned in the top 20. Most of them are 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 pm

swerve13 wrote:
there aren't too many guys going high in this draft with "lengthy resumes" as you say.
Half of these guys are being picked high purely on athletic ability. (Ziggy Ansah, Mingo, Dion Jordan)

Not sure Jordan or Mingo fit that list. Ziggy definitely does.

Jordan and Mingo have been starters for 3 and 2 years now though, respectively, if I'm not mistaken...

swerve13 wrote:
oh please, none of those have the open field instincts of Patterson, don't embaress yourself. again!

When was the first time? When I valued NFL scouts opinions higher than those of bloggers and a 3rd party advisory board which has a reputation of being off? Yeah, how stupid of me.

swerve13 wrote:
there's a reason why Patterson is talked about in the top 10 and none of those other receivers are ever mentioned in the top 20. Most of them are 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Tavon Austin isn't being talked about as a top 20 pick? I think he's the first WR off the board (to Miami at 12). Keenan Allen is consistently talked about in the top 20.

I'm not saying Patterson isn't the best WR in the class. I think he is...just saying calling him generational is excessive. Patterson's come out almost every year.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Only you have Austin in the top 12 picks. Nobody else in the NFL universe has said that. Patterson is the consensus top receiver. That's fact. not my opinion.
Now that could change, but i'm going with the current status.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Patterson's come out every year? Could have fooled me.
Now that's exaggeration!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:16 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Patterson's come out every year? Could have fooled me.
Now that's exaggeration!

I said almost.

In 2011 Green and Julio were both better prospects that Patterson is. In 2010 Dez Bryant was arguably better (on the field), in 2009 Percy was in the same mold as Patterson, 2007 Calvin....

swerve13 wrote:
Only you have Austin in the top 12 picks. Nobody else in the NFL universe has said that. Patterson is the consensus top receiver. That's fact. not my opinion.
Now that could change, but i'm going with the current status.

Whose opinion in the NFL universe matters other than those that are currently confidential (for the most part)?

I'm going to save that and let you know about it April 25th.;)

Although to put out an opinion from the NFL universe out there, Simon Clancy, one of the Draft Winds writers, who has been right with the last 3 Dolphins first round picks, has said that Tavon Austin is "firmly" in the mix at 12, and hinted that because Ireland loved Percy so much, he thinks Tavon is the favorite right now.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:26 pm

swerve13 wrote:

Forgive him Lord, for he knows not of what he speaks...

Dion Jordan:

Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2008 RS - - -
2009 6 2 0.0 0.0
2010 13 33 5.5 2.0
2011 14 42 13.0 7.5
2012 12 44 10.5 5.0
Totals 45 121 29.0 14.5

Barkevious Mingo:

Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2009 RS - - - - -
2010 13 35 5.5 2.5 6 0
2011 14 46 15.0 7.5 2 0
2012 13 38 8.5 4.5 3 0
Totals 40 119 29.0 14.5 11 0

Cordarrelle Patterson:

Year GP REC YDS YPC TD
2010 JUCO - - - -
2011 JUCO - - - -
2012 12 46 778 16.9 5
Totals 12 46 778 16.9 5

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:47 pm

I heard Demonstrous Cattaplax from Appalachian Middle State may drop.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Rich wrote:
I heard Demonstrous Cattaplax from Appalachian Middle State may drop.

I'm hearing that Matt Barkley's stock, who, despite not playing in the last 3 months has gone from top 5 pick, to 3rd round pick, now to top 10 pick, is back down to a 20-35 player.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Forgive him Lord, for he knows not of what he speaks...

Dion Jordan:

Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2008 RS - - -
2009 6 2 0.0 0.0
2010 13 33 5.5 2.0
2011 14 42 13.0 7.5
2012 12 44 10.5 5.0
Totals 45 121 29.0 14.5

Barkevious Mingo:

Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2009 RS - - - - -
2010 13 35 5.5 2.5 6 0
2011 14 46 15.0 7.5 2 0
2012 13 38 8.5 4.5 3 0
Totals 40 119 29.0 14.5 11 0

Cordarrelle Patterson:

Year GP REC YDS YPC TD
2010 JUCO - - - -
2011 JUCO - - - -
2012 12 46 778 16.9 5
Totals 12 46 778 16.9 5

Quote:
02/20/13 - 2013 NFL Combine, Workout warriors: With only four sacks last season, LSU's Barkevious Mingo is a polarizing prospect. Though he flashes special ability at times, his impact at the college level doesn't match the hype. However, Mingo should shine in shorts during the agility drills, showing off his natural quickness, burst and redirection skills. His athletic potential off the edge is the reason that he could be a top-10 pick. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But there are serious issues with Jordan as well. Elite NFL edge pass rushers all show the ability to flatten around the edge, something Jordan simply cannot do and will never be able to do because of his upright gait and stiffness in his lower body. He sorely lacks strength to set the edge or handle close-quartered combat that is more common in the NFL than the PAC-12. Despite being fast and having quick arms and hands, his ankles and hips are stiff and his lateral agility is subpar.

Teams will have to weigh the good with the bad. Because he can legitimately do special things in a skill in chronic demand (rushing the passer), Jordan will be highly valued. There is some room for improvement, as Jordan has only played defense since 2010 and is still learning the nuances and intricacies of the position. Yet he is certain to be a liability at times and that is extremely unlikely to ever change. His rare length, speed, and growth potential dictate that Dion Jordan will be a top 20 pick, perhaps in the top 5. He is an extreme boom/bust prospect that will either notch double-digit sacks every year or be released by his drafting team before his second contract.

what I mean is that these guys are no more proven than Patterson is. They're all unfinished products where their upside exceeds their on-field production. Patterson doesnt have anymore of a bust factor than either of these other guys. My prediction is that Jordan and Patterson find success in the NFL and that Mingo becomes a bust.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]