1. Cameron Wake, Defensive Endhttps://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -dolphins/
What can you say about the year Wake had? Always a consistent pass rusher, he added more sacks to his game and finished the year with our highest grade of all 4-3 defensive ends. He managed an astonishing 86 combined sacks, hits, and hurries and some underrated work in run defense. Even in signing him to a new deal the Dolphins got instant value that only a big regression in his way play will undo.
2012 Cap Hit: $2.1m
2012 Performance Based Value: $15.1m
Value Differential: +$13m
2. Reshad Jones, Safety
When fifth-round picks come good then they’re going to offer some excellent value in their rookie contract. Jones, the 163rd pick of the 2010 draft, did exactly that in his breakout year, finishing third overall in our safety rankings. Even with the missed tackles (14) you couldn’t help but notice how well he played, logging four picks, four pass break ups, 21 defensive stops and 13 quarterback disruptions. Now that’s value.
2012 Cap Hit: $585k
2012 Performance Based Value: $8.7m
Value Differential: +$8.1m
3. Ryan Tannehill, Quarterback
With rookies more prepared than ever for the rigors of the NFL and a rookie wage cap impacting how much teams spend on them, it means those making an immediate impact are already providing a return on the investment in them. It wasn’t a perfect year for Tannehill, but our 13th-ranked quarterback on the year provided a spark at the position that bodes well for years to come.
2012 Cap Hit: $2.3m
2012 Performance Based Value: $9.5m
Value Differential: +$7.2m
4. Brian Hartline, WR – Cap: $1.4m, PBV: $4.3m, Value Differential: +$2.9m
5. Chris Clemons, S – Cap: $1.4, PBV: $4m, Value Differential: +$2.7m
6. Koa Misi, LB – Cap: $1.1m, PBV: $3.3m, Value Differential: +$2.1m
7. Mike Pouncey, C – Cap: $2.1m, PBV: $4.1m, Value Differential: +$2m
8. Kevin Burnett, LB – Cap: $5.3m, PBV: $6.8m, Value Differential: +$1.5m
9. Nolan Carroll, CB – Cap: $590k, PBV: $1.4m, Value Differential: +$810k
10. Sean Smith, CB – Cap: $850k, PBV: $1.6m, Value Differential: +$750k