View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Tremendous statistical breakdown of Tavon Austin 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Tremendous statistical breakdown of Tavon Austin
http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/14/ ... wn-austin/

Everything you would need to know, statistically speaking. Must read for those who are fascinated with him.

Some things that stood out:

His drop percentage is 4.2%...Best/lowest of any of the projected 1st-2nd round WR's.

His YAC is, on average, 7.3, which is 2nd best.

He's also catching the ball, on average, less than 6 yards down the field. Which means he's not as much of a deep threat, (which we know because of his size), as much as a weapon underneath. Which is fine, because that's Tannehill's game.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Tremendous statistical breakdown of Tavon Austin
someone on the panel said he's a perfect blend of Harvin and Welker. That's a great compliment. He's going to be too hard to pass up for teams like St. Louis, Seattle and Houston after the top 15 picks.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It also says something about my other man crush Kenny Vaccaro for being the only guy who shut down Tavon this year. Impressive for a safety.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:26 pm

swerve13 wrote:
someone on the panel said he's a perfect blend of Harvin and Welker. That's a great compliment. He's going to be too hard to pass up for teams like St. Louis, Seattle and Houston after the top 15 picks.

I think Miami takes him at 12. And I really don't think Free Agency will impact that.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:26 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Jeff Ireland said he is looking for playmakers. Tavon Austin is a playmaker, and he not that much smaller than Randell Cobb. Great production in college.

Highly versatile, touchdown waiting to happen with great speed. Don't know about you guys, but he intrigues me at #12.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I think Miami takes him at 12. And I really don't think Free Agency will impact that.

I'd still prefer Patterson over Austin.
If we sign Wallace I don't think we would take Austin. There's going to be so many outstanding receivers still in round 2. Wheaton, Williams, Hopkins, Hunter, Patton....Oh My!

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:32 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
It also says something about my other man crush Kenny Vaccaro for being the only guy who shut down Tavon this year. Impressive for a safety.

darn swerve, if 10 for 102 is shutting someone down, I hate to see what you consider BLOWING UP......... :ann0y:

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:54 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I'd still prefer Patterson over Austin.
If we sign Wallace I don't think we would take Austin. There's going to be so many outstanding receivers still in round 2. Wheaton, Williams, Hopkins, Hunter, Patton....Oh My!

I don't want Austin at 12. Just saying that's the direction I think they go. I still want Dion Jordan.

I don't think getting Wallace will impact getting Austin...They're completely different players, who would compliment each other (on the chalkboard at least) perfectly.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

darn swerve, if 10 for 102 is shutting someone down, I hate to see what you consider BLOWING UP......... :ann0y:

Quote:
Vaccaro had responsibility in some form of coverage on Austin on 26 of Smith’s throws, but Austin’s production on those plays was minimal. Six of these plays were attempts with Vaccaro in shallow zone coverage. On those plays Austin had 21 yards on two catches –- and the longest came after he left the free safety’s zone. Austin was open four times and only once was this in Vaccaro’s area. On that play, the safety made the tackle.
What’s far more impressive is the number of times Vaccaro faced Austin in single coverage. The safety had Austin one-on-one on 18 pass plays; only three times did Vaccaro receive help from an additional defender in bracket coverage. The other 15 times Vaccaro covered Austin heads-up.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Quote:
Vaccaro had responsibility in some form of coverage on Austin on 26 of Smith’s throws, but Austin’s production on those plays was minimal. Six of these plays were attempts with Vaccaro in shallow zone coverage. On those plays Austin had 21 yards on two catches –- and the longest came after he left the free safety’s zone. Austin was open four times and only once was this in Vaccaro’s area. On that play, the safety made the tackle.
What’s far more impressive is the number of times Vaccaro faced Austin in single coverage. The safety had Austin one-on-one on 18 pass plays; only three times did Vaccaro receive help from an additional defender in bracket coverage. The other 15 times Vaccaro covered Austin heads-up.

:awe: Still like Tavon. Still would look at Bacarri Rambo in the 3rd round. 16 int to 5 in the best conference in America, the SEC.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

they're all good prospects. Really excited about the possibilities of this draft. C'mon Ireland! The plate is set, the pitcher has thrown you a meatball......just knock it out of the yard!

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

You don't think he's a little too small (injury prone) to take at 12?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:43 pm

MdDolfan wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

You don't think he's a little too small (injury prone) to take at 12?

I wouldn't take him at 12. I think Miami will though.

But for the record, he's not injury prone. He's short, but he's not small. Never missed a game.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]