View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:58 am



Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17 
Author Message
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
I wonder who is leaking this information out? What makes the Steelers such a great team is that they have kept their problems in-house.

I do not have a problem with giving Egnew another year to learn the offense. Some people are slow learners. Hopefully he isn't as overwhelmed this year and the NFL slows down a little for him.

Quote:
Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17

BARRY JACKSON: But here’s one of the problems with Egnew: According to a teammate, he lined up on the wrong side during pregame work before the season-finale and had troubling remembering the plays.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... -ncaa.html

NBC SPORTS: Egnew had playbook memory problems in October, but to hear he was having the same troubles through the end of the season doesn't bode well for his future. GM Jeff Ireland continues to give the 2012 third-rounder votes of confidence. "That's a position that develops differently," said Ireland. "Other than quarterback, that position is the most mentally and physically demanding."
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50900165/ ... ayer_news/

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1053
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
This is a guy who Mike Sherman called out on HBO's Hard Knocks. His exact words were, "If I were the GM, I would cut you immediately."

_________________
Image


Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:48 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5036
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Big Dave wrote:
I wonder who is leaking this information out? What makes the Steelers such a great team is that they have kept their problems in-house.


What?

The Steelers lost that moniker this off-season. All they've been doing is going public with locker room stuff.

_________________
Image


Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:04 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4373
Location: Sunny South Florida
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
We have the same guy running our college scouting department for the last 4 years. And prior to that he was helping run our scouting..
And a laundry list of guys like Egnew that were picked in rounds 2 - 4 that are just not good...

I know Gaine is interviewing with the Jets, not sure what their fascination is with our people, but so be it.

I would not mind one bit if we refreshed our scouting department, Or at least some changes if Gaine leaves. Grier is our college scouting director, and has been for 4 (2008 - 2012) years when he was promoted from assistant director of college scouting (2003 - 2007)

I have a bad memory, was there anything prior to 4 years ago in our drafting that would make you think someone deserved a promotion?
I mean lets look at drafting for the Dolphins from 2003 - 2013 with Greir as the AssDirector & Director...

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:52 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
What a dumbass.

I can't wait until he's cut. Honest to God, he's been here 9 months and hasn't even gotten on the field and I'm tired of him.


Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:25 pm
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Phins Rock wrote:
I can't wait until he's cut. Honest to God, he's been here 9 months and hasn't even gotten on the field and I'm tired of him.


You would definitely expect a 3rd round pick to make some kind of impact. I would say that if he doesn't look any better for us in the first couple of preseason games that he should be given the boot. In the meantime, let's hope that the Dolphins don't let moss grow on the TE position and start to bring in some playmakers.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 775
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
[quote="10acjed"]We have the same guy running our college scouting department for the last 4 years. And prior to that he was helping run our scouting..


This is what scares the hell out of me! We have 3 picks in the first two rounds but our scouts picked guys like Egnew and D. Thomas! What confidence should I have in these guys picking gems in the later rounds or picking playmaking Studs with our first 2 picks?
I know D. Bess was a diamond in the rough but who else can we say Ireland has found late in the draft? Cam Wake came from the CFL and he's a stud but name me another player on our team?
I swear Ross better fire this dude at the end of the season if we don't get at least 2 starters from this draft that are "Ballers!" I mean if they play O I want TD's in the double digits and if they play D I want +6 picks or +10 sacks!


Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:53 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am
Posts: 1191
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Big Dave wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
I can't wait until he's cut. Honest to God, he's been here 9 months and hasn't even gotten on the field and I'm tired of him.


You would definitely expect a 3rd round pick to make some kind of impact. I would say that if he doesn't look any better for us in the first couple of preseason games that he should be given the boot. In the meantime, let's hope that the Dolphins don't let moss grow on the TE position and start to bring in some playmakers.


This guy made $390,000 + a pro rated signing bonus of $147,239 last year. Even if the guy has some type of learning disability, he has to find a way to comprehend the play book. He was paid $537,239. It's his full time job.

Michael Egnew

Position: Tight End

The Miami Dolphins signed TE Michael Egnew, the teams 3rd round draft choice in the 2012 NFL Draft, to a four year contract on July 25, 2012. Egnew received a signing bonus of $588,956. Base salaries are $390,000(2012), $495,000(2013), $585,000(2014), and $687,500(2015).




2012 $537,239
2013 $652,239
2014 $742,239
2015 $844,739

_________________
Image


Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20183
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
MdDolfan wrote:
I know D. Bess was a diamond in the rough but who else can we say Ireland has found late in the draft? Cam Wake came from the CFL and he's a stud but name me another player on our team?


Reshad Jones is one of our best young players. Found in the 5th round of the 2010 draft. Brian Hartline was a 4th round pick. Not sure what your definition of late is, but once you go past round three you're typically looking at developmental players. Chris Clemons was also a 5th round pick.

_________________
Image


Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:59 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4373
Location: Sunny South Florida
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Thigpen is a UDFA, and # 6 in 2012 in return yards as a rookie... Special, special teams player who can also serve as a back up RB...

Jimmy Wilson is a 7th round pick.

So you add in the other names above, and we have a few late round & UDFA's that have had an impact.
Maybe not super stars, but solid players who contribute is acceptable for those later picks as far as I see it..


Still tho, I think something could be said about having the same guy co/running our scouting department for the last 10 years..

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:53 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5036
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
10acjed wrote:
Thigpen is a UDFA, and # 6 in 2012 in return yards as a rookie... Special, special teams player who can also serve as a back up RB...

Jimmy Wilson is a 7th round pick.

So you add in the other names above, and we have a few late round & UDFA's that have had an impact.
Maybe not super stars, but solid players who contribute is acceptable for those later picks as far as I see it..


Still tho, I think something could be said about having the same guy co/running our scouting department for the last 10 years..


Can't win a championship plucking acorns here and there. The team needs legitimate playermakers to pan out who are drafted in the first 2-3 rounds.

_________________
Image


Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2426
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rock Sexton wrote:
Can't win a championship plucking acorns here and there. The team needs legitimate playermakers to pan out who are drafted in the first 2-3 rounds.


And you can't do it buying groceries for the wrong recipe.
This organisation has had ZERO consistency. Decent players have been constantly let go because they don't fit with the new coaches ideal. Ireland hasn't had much time, cap space or picks to change things.

Yes, he clearly screwed up the Egnew pick. But let him prove himself and quit blaming him for everyone else's screwups.


Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5036
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
degs wrote:
And you can't do it buying groceries for the wrong recipe.
This organisation has had ZERO consistency. Decent players have been constantly let go because they don't fit with the new coaches ideal. Ireland hasn't had much time, cap space or picks to change things.

Yes, he clearly screwed up the Egnew pick. But let him prove himself and quit blaming him for everyone else's screwups.


Were Daniel Thomas and Clyde Gates "everyone else's screwups" when he was drafting for the prior regime?

_________________
Image


Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:18 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2426
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rock Sexton wrote:
Were Daniel Thomas and Clyde Gates "everyone else's screwups" when he was drafting for the prior regime?


So in your opinion a 4th round pick is supposed to be a sure thing? I'd be willing to bet I can come up with 20 different 3rd round picks, taken by 20 different GM's over the past 10 years that were worse.


Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:10 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5036
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
degs wrote:
So in your opinion a 4th round pick is supposed to be a sure thing? I'd be willing to bet I can come up with 20 different 3rd round picks, taken by 20 different GM's over the past 10 years that were worse.


Ah yes .... what they call "passing the buck".

Parcells went on record stating how he and Ireland previously alternated a few drafts while he was here. This isn't Ireland's first rodeo and he gets no sympathy. This draft is make or break for him. Find us impact players/playmakers or move on.

_________________
Image


Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:54 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2426
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rock Sexton wrote:
degs wrote:
So in your opinion a 4th round pick is supposed to be a sure thing? I'd be willing to bet I can come up with 20 different 3rd round picks, taken by 20 different GM's over the past 10 years that were worse.


Ah yes .... what they call "passing the buck".

Parcells went on record stating how he and Ireland previously alternated a few drafts while he was here. This isn't Ireland's first rodeo and he gets no sympathy. This draft is make or break for him. Find us impact players/playmakers or move on.


Ah, if only the fans ran the team. We'd be so much better off.
We'd probably be a lot like the Bucs of the 80's.


Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:52 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 1326
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
There hasn't been a single good report about this bum. This guy's stink in the locker room will not vanish until his butt is out bagging groceries at Publix. It may be a cruel way of thinking, but christ man this kid can't do crap right.

_________________
Image


Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:55 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5036
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
degs wrote:
Ah, if only the fans ran the team. We'd be so much better off.
We'd probably be a lot like the Bucs of the 80's.


That response literally makes ZERO sense, not to mention one of those blatant forum conversation derailments.

You're a fan, you side with giving the man more time and the things he has done to this point. Does that invalidate your opinion? After all you're a fan too. I guess a fans perspective only counts when they blindly pledge allegiance.

Thanks for the empty 80's reference though Doug Williams.

_________________
Image


Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:14 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2426
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rock Sexton wrote:
degs wrote:
Ah, if only the fans ran the team. We'd be so much better off.
We'd probably be a lot like the Bucs of the 80's.


That response literally makes ZERO sense, not to mention one of those blatant forum conversation derailments.

You're a fan, you side with giving the man more time and the things he has done to this point. Does that invalidate your opinion? After all you're a fan too. I guess a fans perspective only counts when they blindly pledge allegiance.

Thanks for the empty 80's reference though Doug Williams.


What makes ZERO sense is your expectation that every 4th round pick should turn into a star, otherwise it is fodder to talk about how awful the GM is.


Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:00 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5036
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
degs wrote:
What makes ZERO sense is your expectation that every 4th round pick should turn into a star, otherwise it is fodder to talk about how awful the GM is.


I didn't say "star".

I said impact or playmaker.

..... and btw I like how you turn the conversation away from Egnew and Daniel Thomas (who were 2nd and 3rd rounders), instead focusing on the 4th round guy Gates.

_________________
Image


Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:56 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 775
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rich wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
I know D. Bess was a diamond in the rough but who else can we say Ireland has found late in the draft? Cam Wake came from the CFL and he's a stud but name me another player on our team?


Reshad Jones is one of our best young players. Found in the 5th round of the 2010 draft. Brian Hartline was a 4th round pick. Not sure what your definition of late is, but once you go past round three you're typically looking at developmental players. Chris Clemons was also a 5th round pick.


So out of the 3 players you named maybe 1 of them is a baller...that would be Jones! Steelers found Wallace in the 3rd rd and now he commands a big payday, Packers got Jennings in the 2nd I think. Which one of "our" draft picks can u say in the last 5 years is going to hit FA that other teams want? My point is who do we draft that other teams covet or think is special?


Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:35 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5279
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
MdDolfan wrote:
So out of the 3 players you named maybe 1 of them is a baller...that would be Jones! Steelers found Wallace in the 3rd rd and now he commands a big payday, Packers got Jennings in the 2nd I think. Which one of "our" draft picks can u say in the last 5 years is going to hit FA that other teams want? My point is who do we draft that other teams covet or think is special?


Brian Hartline, Reshad Jones, Sean Smith, Vontae Davis, Mike Pouncey, Lamar Miller...its not like Miami has just drafted duds. All of those guys would be coveted and paid by another team if they hit FA.


Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:07 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4373
Location: Sunny South Florida
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rock Sexton wrote:

Can't win a championship plucking acorns here and there. The team needs legitimate playermakers to pan out who are drafted in the first 2-3 rounds.


I agree completely. We have done a mediocre job at drafting all around, most of us could sit here and do live draft day mocks and do just as good.

Egnew is a joke, and the sad part is when I read his scouting report it tells me exactly what we saw. I did not know his name until we picked, and liked the idea of a faster pass catching TE, but those hopes quickly vanished.

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:54 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:40 am
Posts: 158
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rock Sexton wrote:
degs wrote:
Ah, if only the fans ran the team. We'd be so much better off.
We'd probably be a lot like the Bucs of the 80's.


That response literally makes ZERO sense, not to mention one of those blatant forum conversation derailments.

You're a fan, you side with giving the man more time and the things he has done to this point. Does that invalidate your opinion? After all you're a fan too. I guess a fans perspective only counts when they blindly pledge allegiance.

Thanks for the empty 80's reference though Doug Williams.


Ouch, Doug Williams. If the fans and John McKay had their way rather than Culverhouse, the Bucs would have gone to the playoffs multiple times in the '80s. I would peg Ireland and Ross more as the Culverhouse types.


Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:39 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2426
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rock Sexton wrote:

I didn't say "star".

I said impact or playmaker.


HUGE difference there!!!!! I see how that changes the entire discussion


Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 775
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
jammer wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
So out of the 3 players you named maybe 1 of them is a baller...that would be Jones! Steelers found Wallace in the 3rd rd and now he commands a big payday, Packers got Jennings in the 2nd I think. Which one of "our" draft picks can u say in the last 5 years is going to hit FA that other teams want? My point is who do we draft that other teams covet or think is special?


Brian Hartline, Reshad Jones, Sean Smith, Vontae Davis, Mike Pouncey, Lamar Miller...its not like Miami has just drafted duds. All of those guys would be coveted and paid by another team if they hit FA.


I'm sorry I probably didn't make myself clear. I meant out of those guys who is a baller? Jones and Pouncey are the only 2 but Harline is an avg WR imo!


Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:56 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5036
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
degs wrote:
HUGE difference there!!!!! I see how that changes the entire discussion


You should. You don't have to be a star to make a difference. That is unless you're arguing on an internet forum.

_________________
Image


Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:16 am
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5126
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
There hasn't been a single good report about this bum. This guy's stink in the locker room will not vanish until his butt is out bagging groceries at Publix. It may be a cruel way of thinking, but christ man this kid can't do crap right.



Quote:
The 55 employees the team brought to Indy are really only 10 more than usual, a team source said, but there’s no question that Ireland can’t afford another Michael Egnew situation. (The team’s third-round tight end didn’t contribute at all as a rookie and might not make the team this year.)
“We have eyes on every single player at the Combine,” Ireland said.
• What was the problem with Egnew, who was drafted 78th overall — 14 spots ahead of star receiver T.Y. Hilton of FIU?
A team source said the Dolphins simply underestimated how long it would take him to get comfortable learning to play with his hand in the dirt. Egnew was mostly used as a slot receiver at Missouri, and was slow to learn the nuances of blocking and playing on the line.
But the team hasn’t given up on him and hopes to see big strides in his second year. (They know, for example, that Green Bay tight end Jermichael Finley had only six catches as a rookie before breaking out in his second season). Egnew, battling the perception that he is soft, is staying in shape with MMA training at American Top Team in Fort Lauderdale.


Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:51 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5036
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
I just can't wait until everyone actually acknowledges that Egnew was picked to appease Philbin.

_________________
Image


Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:00 am
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1053
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
jammer wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
So out of the 3 players you named maybe 1 of them is a baller...that would be Jones! Steelers found Wallace in the 3rd rd and now he commands a big payday, Packers got Jennings in the 2nd I think. Which one of "our" draft picks can u say in the last 5 years is going to hit FA that other teams want? My point is who do we draft that other teams covet or think is special?


Brian Hartline, Reshad Jones, Sean Smith, Vontae Davis, Mike Pouncey, Lamar Miller...its not like Miami has just drafted duds. All of those guys would be coveted and paid by another team if they hit FA.


I seriously doubt these two will get paid given their reputation in Miami

_________________
Image


Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:02 am
Profile
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20183
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rock Sexton wrote:
Parcells went on record stating how he and Ireland previously alternated a few drafts while he was here.


Provide us with a link.

Besides, how does that make sense? Parcells was here for three drafts so how could they have alternated a "few" drafts while he was here?

_________________
Image


Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:13 pm
Profile
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20183
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
MdDolfan wrote:
So out of the 3 players you named maybe 1 of them is a baller...that would be Jones! Steelers found Wallace in the 3rd rd and now he commands a big payday, Packers got Jennings in the 2nd I think. Which one of "our" draft picks can u say in the last 5 years is going to hit FA that other teams want? My point is who do we draft that other teams covet or think is special?


You said late round picks and are now mentioning 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Please be consistent.

_________________
Image


Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:14 pm
Profile
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3553
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rock Sexton wrote:
I just can't wait until everyone actually acknowledges that Egnew was picked to appease Philbin.


no negative Philbin comments. Honeymoon period is not over for the 2nd best dolphin coach.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:08 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 775
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rich wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
So out of the 3 players you named maybe 1 of them is a baller...that would be Jones! Steelers found Wallace in the 3rd rd and now he commands a big payday, Packers got Jennings in the 2nd I think. Which one of "our" draft picks can u say in the last 5 years is going to hit FA that other teams want? My point is who do we draft that other teams covet or think is special?


You said late round picks and are now mentioning 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Please be consistent.


Well when I started my comment it was late round picks then I included all of our picks to show how weak our drafts have been.


Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:19 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 775
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
I seriously doubt these two will get paid given their reputation in Miami[quote][/quote]

I totally agree because the Phins have only 1 elite player in team and thats Cam Wake!


Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5036
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rich wrote:
Provide us with a link.

Besides, how does that make sense? Parcells was here for three drafts so how could they have alternated a "few" drafts while he was here?


Gonna take me a while. I have to sift thru the archives on here to find when I originally posted the info.

EDIT: It wasn't a link, it was on WQAM radio. I created a thread about it the day I was listening to it.
http://phinfever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8169

_________________
Image


Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:08 pm
Profile
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20183
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:
Provide us with a link.

Besides, how does that make sense? Parcells was here for three drafts so how could they have alternated a "few" drafts while he was here?


Gonna take me a while. I have to sift thru the archives on here to find when I originally posted the info.

EDIT: It wasn't a link, it was on WQAM radio. I created a thread about it the day I was listening to it.
http://phinfever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8169


Well if that's the case that Parcells ran the 2008 and 2010 drafts and Ireland ran 2009, that reflects well on Ireland (besides the terrible Pat White pick).

He drafted two starting cornerbacks, a starting wide receiver and a starting free safety in that draft.

He turned one of those picks into additional picks in a trade. We'll see what happens with the other three.

Conversely, the 2008 draft yielded two players worth a damn. One is in St. Louis now and the other will probably not be coming back.

I guess you could argue 2010 yielded 5 players worth a darn if you want to put Nolan Carroll in that category. Right now the only players playing relatively well from that draft are Misi and Reshad Jones. Still waiting on Odrick.

But out of those three drafts I think by far 2009 yielded the most impact players.

That said, again the term "a few" doesn't make sense since he only stuck around for three years.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:35 am
Profile
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20183
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
MdDolfan wrote:
Well when I started my comment it was late round picks then I included all of our picks to show how weak our drafts have been.


As being discussed in other posts within this thread, it is not clear what picks Ireland has been responsible for. It is clear he is responsible for 2011 and 2012. Other than that, who knows...

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:36 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Egnew had trouble remembering plays in Wk 17
A little more info on Egnew's problems. Hopefully he is more comfortable with the changes the Dolphins have asked of him at his position. I hope that Ireland feels the pressure to try to get players at certain positions of weakness knowing that he does not have time at those positions to wait for development. I think he was hoping that Egnew would be a receiving weapon this year with Fasano leaving via free agency.

Ben Volin wrote:
What was the problem with Egnew, who was drafted 78th overall — 14 spots ahead of star receiver T.Y. Hilton of FIU?

A team source said the Dolphins simply underestimated how long it would take him to get comfortable learning to play with his hand in the dirt. Egnew was mostly used as a slot receiver at Missouri, and was slow to learn the nuances of blocking and playing on the line.

But the team hasn’t given up on him and hopes to see big strides in his second year. (They know, for example, that Green Bay tight end Jermichael Finley had only six catches as a rookie before breaking out in his second season). Egnew, battling the perception that he is soft, is staying in shape with MMA training at American Top Team in Fort Lauderdale.


http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... avo/nWX4M/

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.