View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 2009 Draft Class could be Gone 
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post 2009 Draft Class could be Gone
I was just thinking about this as work comes to an end today... if Chris Clemons, Brian Hartline and Sean Smith all walk this offseason, our entire 2009 draft class will no longer be with the team.

2009 Draft - Miami Dolphins
1 => Vontae Davis - Traded to the Indianapolis Colts.
2 => Pat White - No longer in football.
2 => Sean Smith - Unrestricted Free Agent
3 => Patrick Turner - Cut long ago.
4 => Brian Hartline - Unrestricted Free Agent.
5 => John Nalbone - Played for multiple teams... currently with the Cowboys.
5 => Chris Clemons - Unrestricted Free Agent (I think?)
6 => Andrew Gardner - Currently a Houston Texan.
7 => J.D. Folsom - No longer in football.

Although, as I was researching this information I found a little tid bit on NFL.com stating that the Dolphins are quietly targeting Chris Clemons and Brian Hartline as candidates to bring back to the team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... is-clemons

Quote:
The Miami Dolphins have a lot of spending money ($43.9 million of cap space to be exact). They also have a lot of free agents.

The team has remained mostly quiet in their intentions to this point, but The Miami Herald reported Tuesday that the Dolphins have "discretely targeted" both wide receiver Brian Hartline and safety Chris Clemons with the hope of signing the players to extensions before the league year begins on March 12.

Hartline had a career-high 74 catches for 1,083 yards in 2012 and would serve as an ideal No. 2 receiver if Jeff Ireland succeeds in giving Ryan Tannehill a top target this offseason. Clemons started all 16 games last season and registered a career-best 99 tackles.

Neither player should be considered a franchise cornerstone, but both can be pieces of the puzzle. And if the team's biggest goal right now is continuing the development of Tannehill, keeping his favorite target in town makes a lot of sense.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:48 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: 2009 Draft Class could be Gone
Chris Clemons very well could be the only one left. I know the Dolphins are negotiating with Hartline, but I don't see them giving Hartline 6 mill/per year. Especially when you can probably getting Greg Jennings for 7-8 mill per year.

I don't see the Dolphins using the Franchise Tag on Sean Smith or giving him 8 mill/per year. I think they will make a last run at long, but not at 10 mill/per year.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Chris Clemons very well could be the only one left. I know the Dolphins are negotiating with Hartline, but I don't see them giving Hartline 6 mill/per year. Especially when you can probably getting Greg Jennings for 7-8 mill per year.

I don't see the Dolphins using the Franchise Tag on Sean Smith or giving him 8 mill/per year. I think they will make a last run at long, but not at 10 mill/per year.

It's just sad to see... I mean at least we're hitting on some guys now... with Reshad Jones and Chris Clemons both being 5th round picks I think we've gotten great value out of them.

Still... I'd like to see more high round picks work out... especially since we're talking about not resigning Long, meanwhile Matt Ryan is going strong in Atlanta.

(to be fair... Dorsey is likely out of KC too so two of the top three are moving on from that draft)

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

It's just sad to see... I mean at least we're hitting on some guys now... with Reshad Jones and Chris Clemons both being 5th round picks I think we've gotten great value out of them.

Still... I'd like to see more high round picks work out... especially since we're talking about not resigning Long, meanwhile Matt Ryan is going strong in Atlanta.

(to be fair... Dorsey is likely out of KC too so two of the top three are moving on from that draft)

If we had any consistency in management and coaching I'd bet that both Smith and Davis would be on the team long term.

I believe we finally have a long term head coach, so it will be fAR easier to keep players around long term

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yep, Ireland is a genius. Sure glad he has 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and extra money to blow. It will take all that for him to get one starter.....while more leaks spring up. 7-9 +/- a game is a pretty good bet for 2013. The team has been dancing that tune for four years now. I do think Philbin is an improvement over the fist pumper, but I don't know whether or not even Shula could coach these guys to the playoffs. Heck.....many of the team's best players are on the block now and the team was bereft of playmakers as it was. What makes anyone think Ireland will get it right this time? He would probably have to acquire a top free agent, or two, and hit on all 5 of his first picks to replace the free agency losses and hope to have any hope for improvement on the field. I don't see it happening......the track record doesn't support it.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:33 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I think it's more likely the 2008 class will be gone. Jake is the only one left, no?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:49 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Yep, Ireland is a genius. Sure glad he has 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and extra money to blow. It will take all that for him to get one starter.....while more leaks spring up. 7-9 +/- a game is a pretty good bet for 2013. The team has been dancing that tune for four years now. I do think Philbin is an improvement over the fist pumper, but I don't know whether or not even Shula could coach these guys to the playoffs. Heck.....many of the team's best players are on the block now and the team was bereft of playmakers as it was. What makes anyone think Ireland will get it right this time? He would probably have to acquire a top free agent, or two, and hit on all 5 of his first picks to replace the free agency losses and hope to have any hope for improvement on the field. I don't see it happening......the track record doesn't support it.

Ireland was involved, but that was pretty much Bill Parcells picks.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

With the number 12 pick, two number 2's and two number 3's, Ireland can ill afford not to pull out some key starters/immediate contributors.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:39 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

If you are right which is a good possibility , I am so looking forward to the excuses.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:15 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I honestly thought that was a good draft back then, and it was mostly Parcells who made these picks ... based on Ireland's recommendations. You have to believe that based on the change in draft philosophy the past couple of drafts that Parcells was "buying the groceries" those first few drafts.

I still would have kept Vontae Davis. Is he immature? Yes. Was he a problem child? Not really. I am sure he was a frustration to the staff seeing him waste his talent by not coming to camp ready to play. With Vontae Davis on one side, I have to believe that we would have seen an even better and more consistent Sean Smith last year.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The White and Turner picks still sting a bit, but I think we'll make an attempt to retain Clemons, Smith, and Hartline. I expect we'll keep at least two of those players when it's said and done. As far as Davis is concerned, he was a good player, but he showed up out of shape and we were at least compensated when we sent him to Indy. While things look pretty grim with regards to this draft, if Hartline, Clemons, and Smith continue to develop and start, this wasn't the worst draft in the world. Especially if we land a good prospect with the David pick.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]