View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 What's chirping - Omar Kelly 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post What's chirping - Omar Kelly
Quote:

RT @Seano13: Still think we need to get more physical as a team through the draft? » Not sure that's a priority anymore. Adding speed, not size is.

MY TAKE: Once General Manager Jeff Ireland began running the show the offseason before the 2011 draft he placed an emphasis on speed, and finding players that create mismatches.

That was Ireland's philosophy, which strayed from Bill Parcells' "bigger is better" approach.

That offseason the Dolphins traded for Reggie Bush, drafted Clyde Gates, the fastest receiver in the 2011 draft, and selected an H-back in Charles Clay, whom they hoped would create mismatches against linebackers.

RT @Peeds28: What top three players in free agency would you go after? In order » Receivers Mike Wallace and/or Greg Jennings, free safety Jairus Byrd and tight end Dustin Keller.

MY TAKE: Speaking of proven commodities, after looking at the top rated receivers in the 2013 draft I've concluded the safest bet for the Dolphins would be to add a veteran like Wallace and/or Jennings.

I single out those two because owner Steve Ross specifically said the Dolphins will add a receiver who is "explosive."

That word stuck with me because it doesn't exactly describe Dwayne Bowe or Wes Welker. And Jennings barely makes the cut. However, I could be wrong because nobody knows how free agency will play out. Teams don't control free agency. The players and their agents do.

I single out Byrd and Keller as the other free agents I'd pursue for the Dolphins because both would upgrade positions of need, and weaken an AFC East division rival.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 1770.story

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: What's chirping - Omar Kelly
Interesting.........we wouldn't sign Jarius Byrd and resign Clemons. Byrd does appear to be more of the play-maker and he's only 26.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

shularino wrote:
Interesting.........we wouldn't sign Jarius Byrd and resign Clemons. Byrd does appear to be more of the play-maker and he's only 26.

I don't think Byrd is getting away from the Bills. I bet he gets the franchise tag.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I read some back and forth between Kelly and Simon Clancy from Draft Winds on twitter. They mentioned two approaches - sign Wallace and draft Patterson or sign Jennings and draft Tavon Austin. I could see the latter happening if Miami wants to move up into the late 1st round by dealing a 2nd and mid round pick.

Kelly seems to think Miami will sign a TE. I'd have to think Ertz is an intriguing option for Ireland.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:54 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
shularino wrote:

I don't think Byrd is getting away from the Bills. I bet he gets the franchise tag.

I agree with you Dan. The Bills will put the tag on Byrd. They could possibly lose Andy Levitre because of it, but they are willing to go that route I believe.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]