View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Report: Miami made 'low-ball attempt' for Long 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Report: Miami made 'low-ball attempt' for Long
Well, he is 'iffy', but still better than anything we have at that position. I doubt if he'd sign any kind of an incentive laden contract when other teams are willing to pay him real money up front. I can't blame him, and I can't blame our front office for having doubts about his body.

Quote:
Report: Miami made 'low-ball attempt' for Long
Jan. 23, 2013 - 3:55 PM ET

A source tells the Miami Herald the Dolphins made a "low-ball attempt" to lock-up impending free agent LT Jake Long during the season.

The Dolphins have sent mixed signals on the former No. 1 pick, but it's clear they're not going to sign him to a deal his pre-injury reputation would have commanded. That could be a problem, as a team source tells the Herald Long "likes the idea of being the best at what he does and one way he proves to everyone that he is is by being the highest paid at what he does." According to the source, there's a "considerable amount of professional ego." With neither side sounding willing to negotiate on the other's terms, it's looking more likely Long will walk
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50564434/ ... ayer_news/

Quote:
Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland says he's had "numerous" conversations with impending free agent LT Jake Long.

"Jake [Long] has a decision to make, we have a decision to make. It's a very, very difficult decision, complicated negotiation," Ireland said. Ireland also wouldn't rule out using the franchise tag this season. Long made $11.2 million in 2012, and the tentative franchise number for offensive tackles in 2013 is a $9.66 million.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50552469/ ... ayer_news/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Report: Miami made 'low-ball attempt' for Long
Hey not a bad idea... if the tag is a lower value than last years number then get him in on the tag... see if he can stay healthy and then offer him the big bucks.

If he comes back and continues to fight injuries and play mediocre ball then he walks.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:04 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

The number is 9.66 million, but you can't make less than 110% (or 120%, can't remember exactly) of what you made last season under the tag. So it would have to be closer to 13 million. No thank you. I don't think Ireland is really considering that.

Sean Smith is the only player I think has a legitimate chance of getting tagged.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:09 pm

I think you underestimate him. I'd pay 13 milliion for a 1 season flyer to see if he can recover.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:10 pm

IamPZ wrote:
I think you underestimate him. I'd pay 13 milliion for a 1 season flyer to see if he can recover.

I'd only pay him 6 million a year, absolute max...and that's on a short term deal. 13 million is way too high for me, even for just 1 season.

Then again they did pay Soliai 12+ million to only play 50% of the snaps a couple of years ago. So you never know.

EDIT:

According to this story, Long's would actually be over 15 million. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87047 ... i-dolphins

Would you still do it at 15.4 million, PZ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:18 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Franchising Long would be a $15+ million cap hit.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ireland: "Hey Jake, it's been great. Sorry it didn't work out, but best of luck to you."

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Phin wrote:
Ireland: "Hey Jake, it's been great. Sorry it didn't work out, but best of luck to you."

Jake: I wanna call my auntie!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The problem that both parties are running into is Long wants to continue to get paid like he's the top offensive tackle in the NFL. Unfortunately, he's not even the best tackle in our division anymore. I like Jake Long, he's a great player. But honestly he's just too risky. The guy seems to be physically breaking down at a very early age. If the Dolphins are considering a long term contract, it had better be one that requrires Long to stay healthy and play all 16 games every season. The guaranteed money would have to be minimal. I have no problem paying the guy if he stays healthy and plays. I have a huge problem with giving such a risky player guaranteed money. We need to learn our lesson from the Smiley and Grove signings a few years back.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

In listening to some talk shows like Mike and Mike and Cowherd it seems like low ball offers are common especially this time of year and a lot of teams wait until the last min. to get serious with players in negotiations.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AQNOR wrote:
In listening to some talk shows like Mike and Mike and Cowherd it seems like low ball offers are common especially this time of year and a lot of teams wait until the last min. to get serious with players in negotiations.

Exactly. Why would you bid against yourself?

I can't begin to tell you how many times my mind has changed over who they will re-sign and who they will get in free agency. I think Ireland's comments were very telling about the team, especially the WRs (no one getting TDs).

I think Miami re-signs Fasano, Garner and Clemons because they will be bargains. I think Starks is the one guy they might overpay to keep. The rest get overpaid elsewhere.

I think Jennings will be a Dolphin, and a guy like Freeney might be brought in as a pass rusher (doesn't have to play every down, but can be a good veteran presence). If Cook or Keller hit the market I expect Miami to make a strong play but my beer gut tells me Miami might aggressively pursue a TE in the draft.

Of course my mind will change again on Monday.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 pm

15 mill sure I would... I think you guys are underestimating how hard it is to find an elite LT nowadays. Sure he's had some injuries, but when healthy he's still top 3 at his position.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
15 mill sure I would... I think you guys are underestimating how hard it is to find an elite LT nowadays. Sure he's had some injuries, but when healthy he's still top 3 at his position.

He is top 3... On the Dolphins. Nowhere near elite any more.

He's lost a lot and can't be counted on to stay healthy. Let him go. Should have traded him last year. Could have gotten a nice price for him.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:

Pro Football Focus graded him something like 46th out of 80 tackles. Not sure I agree he is top 3. He might even be third best in the AFC East behind Solder and Ferguson.

You don't have to pay top dollar to get mediocre play.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:19 am

This is a "dont know what you got till its gone" situation... aight, let's count on Jonathan Martin next year... we'll all be crying when Tannehill gets creamed.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
This is a "dont know what you got till its gone" situation... aight, let's count on Jonathan Martin next year... we'll all be crying when Tannehill gets creamed.

There is still free agency and draft before any lineup is made. Martin isn't the only option. If Miami dropped big money to grab Wallace, Jennings and Keller, and spent its 1st round pick on a guy like Eric Fisher then I doubt anyone would be crying. Heck, there might even be a serviceable replacement at the 42nd pick.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:30 am
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Rich wrote:
Phin wrote:

Jake: I wanna call my auntie!

Hahahahaha, say good bye Jake.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:29 am

IamPZ wrote:
I think you guys are underestimating how hard it is to find an elite LT nowadays.

Elite LTs are making half as much as what you're saying you'd be OK with paying Long. Players that are better than Long today get much less than he does.

That's not value.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:38 am
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
I think you guys are underestimating how hard it is to find an elite LT nowadays.

Elite LTs are making half as much as what you're saying you'd be OK with paying Long. Players that are better than Long today get much less than he does.

That's not value.

exactly! And there are 7 or 8 tackles in this draft I'd be comfortable with at tackle for us.
It's more about us getting the right receivers for this offense so Tanny can get the ball out of his hands quicker than he did this year. That can made any offensive line unit look good.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]