View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Why the wide receivers need to come from free agency 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Why the wide receivers need to come from free agency
Quote:
On Tuesday, NFL.com's Albert Breer released his first mock draft of the offseason (of which I suppose there will be many) and had California wide receiver Keenan Allen going to the Dolphins with the No. 12 overall selection.

Today, ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper will conduct a conference call with media from around the country.
(AdamHBeasley On conference call with Mel Kiper, who in his first mock draft has the Dolphins taking WR Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee) 12th overall.)

But ...

This draft is only part of a strategy I believe the Dolphins must use. I continue to advocate and indeed demand that the Dolphins be major players in free agency, particularly as it applies to the wide receiver position.

Draft Keenan Allen if you like, Jeff Ireland. Draft Jason Allen or Armando Allen for all I care. But when you get to draft day, you better have a playmaking wide receiver or two or three (three is best) that was signed via free agency on the roster already.

Why?

The Dolphins have sucked at drafting wide receivers under Bill Parcells/Jeff Ireland.

And yet, not addressing the biggest position of need until the draft where I've already shown you this team apparently has trouble identifying talent, and furthermore doing it for a position that takes time to develop anyway, is a message that 2013 will likely be another year of waiting for better days. That is a loser approach. Not acceptable.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:01 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Why the wide receivers need to come from free agency
"The Dolphins have sucked at drafting WR's under BP/JI"

4 WR's drafted, only 2 were when BP was around, one of them being Hartline(4th round).

We have used a 3rd, 2 4th's and 6th round pick on WR's while JI has been GM...

I think we need to bump it up, pick one no later than round 2....

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree we need to get a high level receiver through Free Agency and draft another in the first round. The receiving corp was an obvious Achilles heel..............our receivers could not get separation or stretch the field. It was like our offense was constantly playing in the Redzone.

We have an opportunity to drastically improve our offense.............let's take the best WRs available NOW..........and stop trying to plug holes and hope long shots will magically develop.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Couldn't disagree more.

It would be nice to land an immediate impact guy in free agency, but I want to build the receiving core through the draft.

Mando and so many others are obsessed with spending the 47 million we have. Doesn't work that way.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
It would be nice to land an immediate impact guy in free agency, but I want to build the receiving core through the draft.

Mando and so many others are obsessed with spending the 47 million we have. Doesn't work that way.

It can be both. You sign the much needed veteran presence, you re-up with the guy you drafted (Hartline), you have Bess whom you signed as an UDFA, and you grab a young guy or two that can develop. By the time your vet is ready to walk or not worth his contract you hopefully have his replacement ready to go. From there you re-sign the keepers and continually draft the new talent to develop. Its a lovely process once it gets going, however, Tannehill needs an explosive target now to help his development.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Salguero just posted something saying that the Steelers will let Wallace hit FA. I'll believe it when I see it, but if that is the case I expect Miami to make him a very high offer.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Couldn't disagree more.

Actually, I believe it does work that way. It's my understanding that teams are to spend at least 95% of their cap in 2013. An amount under that 95% maybe rolled over to the following year. There is ambiguity in the agreement, but I would expect the Dolphins to spend at least 95% of the leagued agreed cap. So even after re-signing current players and future draft picks it appears we will have considerable $$ to spend in Free Agency.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
Salguero just posted something saying that the Steelers will let Wallace hit FA. I'll believe it when I see it, but if that is the case I expect Miami to make him a very high offer.

Wallace will definitely be a free agent, the Steelers have 18 other unrestricted and six restricted free agents on their roster. They are not going to give him the $30 mil guaranteed, 5 year deal he's likely to demand. I expect the Dolphins to show a lot of interest.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:07 pm

shularino wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Couldn't disagree more.

Actually, I believe it does work that way. It's my understanding that teams are to spend at least 95% of their cap in 2013. An amount under that 95% maybe rolled over to the following year. There is ambiguity in the agreement, but I would expect the Dolphins to spend at least 95% of the leagued agreed cap. So even after re-signing current players and future draft picks it appears we will have considerable $$ to spend in Free Agency.

Cash minimum and cap minimum are different.

I don't believe you have to spend 95% of the cap.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

There is no cash minimum or maximum.
There is a cap minimum and maximum.

We HAVE to spend money this offseason. (boo hoo)

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Why?

The Dolphins have sucked at drafting under Bill Parcells/Jeff Ireland.

There I fixed it. Just remove wide receiver and say drafting period. :grin:

Last edited by bobby0112 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:58 pm

degs wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I've never heard of a 95% cap minimum.

There was a cash minimum (not cap minimum) in 2011 because of the new CBA. But there were teams like Cincy who spent no where near last year's cap number. Same with Indy.

I'll look it up but I don't think there is a cap minimum even close to 95%.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
degs wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I've never heard of a 95% cap minimum.

There was a cash minimum (not cap minimum) in 2011 because of the new CBA. But there were teams like Cincy who spent no where near last year's cap number. Same with Indy.

I'll look it up but I don't think there is a cap minimum even close to 95%.

I'm working right now so I won't have the chance to look it up, but I'm fairly certain you have it backwards. The NFL deals in cap dollars. When I get a chance I'll take a look

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Degs, shularino, Rich....Finally putting this to bed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ntil-2013/

2013 is the first year that the minimum applies...but it's a CASH minimum. Not a cap minimum. And it's 89%, not 95%.

So while you have to spend 89% of the cap, your cap number doesn't have to be 89% of the 120 million cap.

Right now Miami has 58 million cash invested in the 2013 roster. So they need to spend 49 million (give or take) to get up to the magic 107 million number.

Again though, that's cash, not cap number. So if they gave Randy Starks a contract that goes 6 million against the cap, but gave him 15 million in signing bonus, his cash number would be 15 million plus whatever his 2013 base salary is.

Just between Miami's own free agents, they'll likely spend at least (but probably more than) 40 million in cash. So don't expect Miami to go all out in free agency because "they have to spend" X amount.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I tend to agree with jammer in regards to attacking the wide receiver position from both ends, free agency and the draft.

I believe the Dolphins will look to sign either Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace, and then look to draft a WR to go with re-signing Hartline.

I also believe Jeff Ireland will look to create more cap space by re doing some contracts. I don't think the Dolphins will be the winners in free agency spending, but I think they will look to upgrade and a few key positions, WR being the main one.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

all of the draft outlets and analysts have zeroed in on Cordarelle Patterson now for the Dolphins at 12. I know this guy's upside is huge, but is extremely raw. Therefore i do not see Ireland taking such an unrefined player that high.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:56 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
all of the draft outlets and analysts have zeroed in on Cordarelle Patterson now for the Dolphins at 12. I know this guy's upside is huge, but is extremely raw. Therefore i do not see Ireland taking such an unrefined player that high.

I think you're on to something here. It is impossible to know how the draft shakes out until teams cut players and guys actually hit free agency but look at Ireland's past mistakes and hope he learns his lesson. While a better prospect, Patterson strikes me as a Clyde Gates type...explosive but raw. Rolling the dice on someone like that makes sense in the mid rounds but not with the 12th pick. Ireland knows he needs to hit on the drafted receiver.

Jennings seems logical but lets say Miami actually lands Mike Wallace and gives him a huge contract. A guy like Keenan Allen now makes sense. Good WC receiver with sure hands and the ability to create YAC. I think Ireland targets this type of guy (not necessarily Allen) who can hopefully produce from Day 1. I also tend to think Ireland will reach if he likes a particular player...as evidenced by drafting Hartline, Tannehill, Thomas, etc.

The possibilities are endless but I think Miami avoids "projects" and aims for guys who fit the system and are immediate contributors.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:59 pm

I guess the reason why the receivers need to come from free agency as the title of this thread states is because we are incapable of drafting decent wide receivers on our own by our great GM??? In that case , Jennings , Wallace , Bowe ... sign them all. Plenty of that south beach lifestyle to go round.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

jammer wrote:

I think you're on to something here. It is impossible to know how the draft shakes out until teams cut players and guys actually hit free agency but look at Ireland's past mistakes and hope he learns his lesson. While a better prospect, Patterson strikes me as a Clyde Gates type...explosive but raw. Rolling the dice on someone like that makes sense in the mid rounds but not with the 12th pick. Ireland knows he needs to hit on the drafted receiver..

The only reason Gates was drafted was because of Knox. Raw & 26 Yrs old is not a good thing. There is a huge difference in talent between Patterson & Gates. Not saying Patterson will make it in the NFL, but he has the talent to make it.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Patterson has more Randy Moss/A.J. Green type ability....but is a poor rout runner yet.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm not saying he is Gates, just that he might have a big learning curve and carries a high risk. Not sure Miami can gamble on that unless they have immediate options in place that can improve the offense.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:05 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

This draft is not a very good one in terms of wide receiver talent. Last year's draft was loaded with receiver talent, and Fireland didn't do anything about it until the sixth round.

If the Dolphins fail to land key free agent receivers, Ireland needs to be sent packing.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]