View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Jennings to phins Best move we can make 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Jennings to phins Best move we can make
Greg Jennings would be the best thing to ever happen to this team. One of our biggest problem on our offense is that we really don't have anyone that is great at catching in traffic. They have to have some space or its a drop 90% of the time and if they do catch it rather then turn an burn up field they dance for a first down(usually come up a yard short) that includes Bess who has some of the better hands on our team. This kills us on 3rd down and in the redzone Jennings is a guy who makes a quick decision takes a good angle after the catch an accelerates for whatever he can get out it. He's particularly good after the play breaks down at ad libbing to get open still be on the same page with the QB and turn it into something big.

Greg Jennings is getting up there but he's still good. The packers would absolutely be holding onto him if they could afford him and didnt have so many other options at wide reciever. He's not like a Chad Johnson or a TO getting passed around more trouble then they are worth. His situation is closer to an Anquan Boldin going to the ravens or Reggie Wayne if the Colts had actually let him go. All 3 guys have had nagging injury issues from time to time but, they are all high talent competitive low profile players who have great hands in traffic high motors and all happen to be apart of playoff teams. The experience hed bring to our wr corp would be valuable, Tannehill would benefit from him more then anyone having a security blanket, much like Luck Benefits from Wayne.

Philbin has coached Jennings nearly his entire career so hes well aware of how to use him what routes he runs an how to incorporate him into our offense. He's a team player the packers spread the ball around more then any other in the league and you never hear a word out of him, about being under utilized. He realizes hes gotta get open if he wants the ball and when he gets it to make the most of his opportunity. That is invaluable to Tannehill to have a guy who brings in real leadership and experience and who will not cripple him with a me first or im gunna intimidate you every chance I get attitude. Brandon Marshall killed Chad Henne's confidence and never gave him a chance you could see it on the field and on Henne's face I honestly think he was scared to death of Marshall. We need to bring in a high talent high character and respected guy like Greg to bring in some winning mentality and get these young guys motivated and hungry.

“We all stink. We're 0-6, everybody stinks. We’ve all, in some way, shape or form have not been good enough I don’t care if it’s the front-desk secretary — she ain’t doing a good enough job.”-Reggie Bush

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:49 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Jennings to phins Best move we can make
Best yet... more Old Spice commercials!

I'd love the move though... big fan of Jennings and think he's the most dependable of the FA WR's.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:56 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:

I'd love the move though... big fan of Jennings and think he's the most dependable of the FA WR's.

The one where he's running on the field in bed is freaking hilarious. I also like the airline commercial he has.

As far as Jennings the player goes, at his age if they do attempt to sign him they BETTER draft an underling as his protege since he's going to be 30 soon. I might even suggest drafting two receivers to be honest.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:57 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Yeah I'm with you R. S. I would love to see them add a nice FA like Jennings as well as a couple young guys through the draft..

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
As far as Jennings the player goes, at his age if they do attempt to sign him they BETTER draft an underling as his protege since he's going to be 30 soon. I might even suggest drafting two receivers to be honest.

I was looking over mock drafts versus the actual draft last year and so many receivers were projected much earlier than they were taken.

I think Miami can sign a free agent (Jennings), spend their top pick on the BPA, and still land a quality develomental receiver as late as the 3rd round. This also assumes they re-sign Hartline.

They can't go into the future hoping Matthews or Fuller will emerge as more than depth.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

BTW, Kiper just released his first mock draft and has Miami taking Cordarelle Patterson at 12. He also has 90% of the top 10 picks being defense so I think that is partially why.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:19 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Depends on the money. 3 years, 18 million? Sure.

But if we're talking a 4+ year deal, with close to 10 million per year, I'll pass.

I like Jennings. But he's not a number 1 WR that's worth paying that much money, especially at this stage of his career.

I'd like him hear, but just because he played in Green Bay and is a big name doesn't mean he's a great fit...and he shouldn't be paid like one. The money has to be right, and I don't anticipate that being the case.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Depends on the money. 3 years, 18 million? Sure.

But if we're talking a 4+ year deal, with close to 10 million per year, I'll pass.

I like Jennings. But he's not a number 1 WR that's worth paying that much money, especially at this stage of his career.

I'd like him hear, but just because he played in Green Bay and is a big name doesn't mean he's a great fit...and he shouldn't be paid like one. The money has to be right, and I don't anticipate that being the case.

I'm not sure anyone will pay him 10m a year... hes had a 1000 yard season just 3 of his 6 years and has eclipsed 10 touchdowns twice (2007, 2010).

I think we could probably get him for the 3 year, 18... even if he wanted 4 years 24m... just throw a lot of incentives in there based on injury status and such and go with that.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:06 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

4 year 24 million would be fine, specially with the weasel dotting the i's, chances are its back loaded and "team friendly" as they like to call it now...

But this team is in dire need of an immediate producer, I dont think we can afford to go all draft and rely on development while Bess/Hartline carry the load.. Give Tanne at least on more sure target out there...

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Jennings is a package deal in my opinion. You sign Jennings only if you plan to draft a big prospect in the first two rounds. That way you can use him outside in two receiver sets and also move him into the slot in three/four receiver sets. Jennings is a versatile receiver, it would be a waste of his talents to simply throw money at him and stick him on the outside all day long across from Hartline or some rookie. While he would still likely succeed, we wouldn't be maximizing his abilities. If we could add a big receiver like Allen, Patterson, Wallace, or Hunter early on, and pair that rookie up with Jennings, Hartline, and Bess, we'd be significantly improved. That would be a very solid group of receivers.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
4 year 24 million would be fine, specially with the weasel dotting the i's, chances are its back loaded and "team friendly" as they like to call it now...

But this team is in dire need of an immediate producer, I dont think we can afford to go all draft and rely on development while Bess/Hartline carry the load.. Give Tanne at least on more sure target out there...

Jennings would probably stay in GB at that price. I'm sure the Packers could find a way to make it work if he only cost $6M a season to keep. Jennings is a leader on that team. If we're going to sign him, it will probably have to be something more like $8M+ per season.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:43 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

wkloiber13 wrote:

Jennings would probably stay in GB at that price. I'm sure the Packers could find a way to make it work if he only cost $6M a season to keep. Jennings is a leader on that team. If we're going to sign him, it will probably have to be something more like $8M+ per season.

Yeah Im not sure what his value is to them, or us for that matter...

I just know he is a proven guy, with a good amount left in the tank so if we can get him we should..

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Njphin wrote:
Greg Jennings would be the best thing to ever happen to this team.

Yes, better than Don Shula and Dan Marino.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:22 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
Njphin wrote:

Best thing for the short term future of this team* sorry ill be more specific for the absurdly literal.

“We all stink. We're 0-6, everybody stinks. We’ve all, in some way, shape or form have not been good enough I don’t care if it’s the front-desk secretary — she ain’t doing a good enough job.”-Reggie Bush

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:16 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Njphin wrote:
Rich wrote:
Njphin wrote:

Best thing for the short term future of this team* sorry ill be more specific for the absurdly literal.

Felt that way about Marshall

Good thing Jennings is baggage free.... lol

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Njphin wrote:
Greg Jennings would be the best thing to ever happen to this team. One of our biggest problem on our offense is that we really don't have anyone that is great at catching in traffic. They have to have some space or its a drop 90% of the time and if they do catch it rather then turn an burn up field they dance for a first down(usually come up a yard short) that includes Bess who has some of the better hands on our team. This kills us on 3rd down and in the redzone Jennings is a guy who makes a quick decision takes a good angle after the catch an accelerates for whatever he can get out it. He's particularly good after the play breaks down at ad libbing to get open still be on the same page with the QB and turn it into something big.

Sign Mike Wallace to stretch the defenses and Hartline, Bess & the TE won't be in such congested traffic. One of the best descriptions I saw about Miami's offense was that it was a red zone offense. Defenses don't have to defend more than 20 yards down field now so they can cheat up. Getting a legit deep threat would create more space for everyone and make defenses cover the entire field. Adding a TE that can create separation is another huge need. Adding these pieces would allow Miami to have more big passing plays, improve the running game and score more often.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Njphin wrote:
Rich wrote:
Njphin wrote:

An absurdly literal reaction to an absurdly over exaggerative poster.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:02 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:

do you disagree with my post other then that 1 sentence or are you just trolling to pick a fight? Ive made it clear by what i meant by the statement.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:08 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

bobby0112 wrote:
Sign Mike Wallace to stretch the defenses and Hartline, Bess & the TE won't be in such congested traffic. One of the best descriptions I saw about Miami's offense was that it was a red zone offense. Defenses don't have to defend more than 20 yards down field now so they can cheat up. Getting a legit deep threat would create more space for everyone and make defenses cover the entire field. Adding a TE that can create separation is another huge need. Adding these pieces would allow Miami to have more big passing plays, improve the running game and score more often.

Im not against Wallace to Miami if thats the way it plays out Id be happy as well, but I think Jennings would be a more important signing even if we only got 2-3 years out of him. For Wallace to get open it requires Tannehill to hold on the ball longer because of the long streak routes he runs which means offense line becomes a bigger need. We also seem to have no problem marching down the field its just when we get to the opposing 40 yard line our drives just stall.

Wallace doesn't have the same effects on a defense an is usually limited to drag routes or a quick streak out of the slot when the field tightens up. I don't believe our line is athletic enough to use him in wr screens like pitt does, where as Jennings route running and great hands can be very useful and is just more versatile in those situations.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Njphin wrote:
Rich wrote:

do you disagree with my post other then that 1 sentence or are you just trolling to pick a fight? Ive made it clear by what i meant by the statement.

Yes, you made it clear in a specific way so I responded in kind.

And no I don't agree with your entire premise. I don't think Jennings is the best option for this team, not with his age and his injuries.

The Dolphins have gone after the guy that was great somewhere else way too many times in the past for me to be happy about them making this move unless it is for cheap.

If you bring in a guy like Jennings and you become dependent on him, then you're back to square one WHEN (not if) he gets injured and misses games.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Njphin wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

Wallace doesn't have the same effects on a defense an is usually limited to drag routes or a quick streak out of the slot when the field tightens up. .

I think Wallace would open up defenses and Hartline and Bess would thrive on intermediate and underneath routes. Miami just needs to add more play makers period. They need to stretch the field and create mismatches. A lot of this really depends on whether Miami resigns Hartline, Fasano and Bush. But I think adding a playmaker at #1 WR and TE would create problems/mismatches for defenses. They can't double cover everyone. And Tannehill showed he can run the ball and throw on the run in the last quarter of the season.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The National Football Post's Dan Pompei has been told by league sources that impending free agent Greg Jennings isn't expected to be a hot commodity on the open market.
The reasoning? "First, they believe Jennings won't produce as much without Aaron Rodgers throwing to him, and without Mike McCarthy drawing up plays for him. And secondly, he is 29 years old," writes Pompei. Jennings shouldn't approach the five years and $55 million that Vincent Jackson received last offseason, but he shouldn't struggle to find some team to pay top dollar after his strong finish to the 2012 season. Perhaps teams will undervalue Jennings and he'll be a steal in free agency.

- Rotoworld

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rock Sexton wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

The one where he's running on the field in bed is freaking hilarious. I also like the airline commercial he has.

I have to agree with this. Although I would go after Jennings AND Wallace/Bowe. They need at least two of those guys.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
I would go after Jennings AND Wallace/Bowe. They need at least two of those guys.

What is this, an 8 team fantasy football league?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Quote:
The Dolphins have gone after the guy that was great somewhere else way too many times in the past for me to be happy about them making this move unless it is for cheap.

Could not agree more. You address needs when you sign these guys but that does not mean that you have filled that need.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Yeah Im not sure what his value is to them, or us for that matter...

I just know he is a proven guy, with a good amount left in the tank so if we can get him we should..

Hey, I'm with you there. If Jennings can be had for $6M a season, I say go get him. He's a great veteran leader and would be the backbone of our receiver corps. He'd be a great addition in my opinion.

The best part about a guy like Jennings is his production and value don't end once he leaves the field. The man is a true leader and would make a great mentor to our young receiver group.

I'd love to see us sign Jennings. But for me the love stops at about $8M a season. Like you eluded to, we'll have to wait and see how much love the Packers and Dolphins have for him.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Like the move or not... this is the most likely move to happen based on our coaching staffs history with the player.

You can write that off if you want... but come free agency Jennings has edge for this team.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]