View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:15 pm



Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Ridiculously Early Mock Draft 
Author Message
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3239
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
As the playoffs are taking place this weekend, once again our Miami Dolphins are on the outside looking in. Miami has not been in the playoffs since 2008, which was a one and done.

Us Dolphins fans are now looking forward to the NFL Draft and Free Agency. Free Agency will shape what direction the Dolphins will go in the draft to a large part. I believe the Dolphins will look to sign a WR in free agency, and I would not mind going after 2. This draft is not loaded with impact tight ends, so I hope the Dolphins look to address that in free agency as well.

This will change MANY times, as we have not even started the free agency period, but I wanted to go ahead and put something out there. One of our board members, swerve13 put out one that looks pretty good, and gave me the idea to go ahead and get a very, very early mock up.

Let's take a look at what I think can happen with the Dolphins.

1) Enkezial Ansah, DE, Brigham Young, 6'5, 270 lbs. - A rare physical speciman with freakish speed that is just learning to play the game of football and joined the team at BYU 2 years ago. Has and will see many comparison to Jason-Pierre Paul. Miami had 44 sacks in 2013, which ranked 10th in the NFL. Still, Cameron Wake is the dominant force, and in the last regular season game against New England, the Dolphins did not have a sack. This is a passing league, and the pass rush has to get better. In his first full season of playing, he had 13.0 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks.

2) DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson, 6'1, 200 lbs - There is no question in my mind that the Dolphins will add a WR in free agency and look to re-sign WR Brian Hartline. Still, I believe Miami will need to add one more potent WR. Hopkins had 72 catches for 978 yards and 5 TD as a sophmore, 82 catches for 1,405 yards, 18 TD and a 17.1 yard per catch average including the bowl game his junior season. Size, speed, solid hands, Hopkins has it.

2) Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State, 5'11, 190 lbs - Sean Smith is a free agent, and negotiations have gotten off to a slow start with the sides far apart. Miami has a need for cornerbacks and Poyer is a solid CB with 7 career interceptions.

3) Brennan Williams, ORT, North Carolina, 6'7, 315 lbs - Nate Garner is a free agent, and while he did play pretty well once the Dolphins moved Jonathan Martin to OLT, Garner is more of a backup OT. It seems like the Dolphins have been trying to solve OL problems since since 2008, and they still need to get that issue resolved. New England had 7 sacks in the last game of the year. Part of it was coverage sacks, but the OL had their probems in that game as well.

3) Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas, 6'5, 315 lbs - Bailey has the size to play power football, but more importantly with the zone blocking scheme the Dolphins have in place, the quickness. He has played both ORG and OLG spots.

4) Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia, 6'1, 216 lbs - Georgia has been good to Miami with the addition of FS Reshad Jones, and as we mentioned earlier, the Dolphins need cornerbacks. Commings is a big corner with nice ball skills, as he has 8 career interceptions.

5) Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina, 6'7, 267 lbs - A talented enigma that has been overshadowed by one Jadaveon Clowney, who will be without a doubt the 1st pick in the NFL Draft in 2014. As his career 21.5 sacks show, he can get to the quarterback. That being said, much more was expected of Devon, especially when you consider he was playing accross from Clowney in 2012, a year in which he only had 6 sacks. But he has tremendous upside and athletic ability, as he has an interceptions return for TD.

6) Due to Vontae Davis not meeting playing time requirements, the Dolphins will not get the conditional 6th round pick from the Colts.

7) Jonathan Stewart, ILB, Texas A & M, 6'4, 245 lbs - Miami needs depth at the ILB position, and this would be a solid pickup for the Dolphins.

7) Anthony White, DT, Michigan State, 6'2, 330 lbs - Dolphins like DL personnel and will likely lose DT Tony McDaniel. White gives them a DT that can anchor against the run.



April can't get here soon enough.

_________________
Image


Last edited by phinsfansc on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:05 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3846
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
Doesn't look bad, do not see Miami going OL with both picks in Rd. 3, but it is Miami.


Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:27 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5286
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
Nice job as always Tony. What happened to your boy Cobi Hamilton? Too much of a reach in round 2?


Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:20 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3239
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
jammer wrote:
Nice job as always Tony. What happened to your boy Cobi Hamilton? Too much of a reach in round 2?


I like DeAndre a little better. Plus, reading that the Dolphins and Sean Smith are far apart makes CB a little more urgent.

I do like Cobi Hamilton a lot though, and SO much depends on what Miami is able to address using free agency.

_________________
Image


Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:25 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5286
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
phinsfansc wrote:
I like DeAndre a little better. Plus, reading that the Dolphins and Sean Smith are far apart makes CB a little more urgent.

I do like Cobi Hamilton a lot though, and SO much depends on what Miami is able to address using free agency.


I hear ya, just giving you a hard time.

So hard to predict at this point and free agency will change everything. Again, nice job.


Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:01 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 66
Location: Princeton,IL
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
Just an fyi looks like we lost the 6th rd pick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -expected/

_________________
Image


Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:24 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3239
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
Phinsforever wrote:
Just an fyi looks like we lost the 6th rd pick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -expected/


I see that. Thanks.

_________________
Image


Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
Vontae Davis keeps failing the Dolphins even when he plays with the Colts

:)


Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:01 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
Quote:
5) Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina, 6'7, 267 lbs - A talented enigma that has been overshadowed by one Jadaveon Clowney, who will be without a doubt the 1st pick in the NFL Draft in 2014. As his career 21.5 sacks show, he can get to the quarterback. That being said, much more was expected of Devon, especially when you consider he was playing accross from Clowney in 2012, a year in which he only had 6 sacks. But he has tremendous upside and athletic ability, as he has an interceptions return for TD.


I like this guy late in the draft SC


Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:04 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
Nice knock, Tony.

A lot depends on free agency. But I like and agree with the strategy and types of players. They're scheme fits.


Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:21 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3239
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
Phins Rock wrote:
Nice knock, Tony.

A lot depends on free agency. But I like and agree with the strategy and types of players. They're scheme fits.



Thanks swerve. Devon definitely has the talent and a frame you can't teach. He is indeed an enigma. Looking forward to seeing your JP, and Thanks for the kind words.

Shout out to Dphins, yeah, the Dolphins probably will not go back to back OL, but I think they certainly need a ORT and OG.

_________________
Image


Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:42 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
Jake Matthews and Zach Ertz rumored to be staying in school


Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:20 am
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3239
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
swerve13 wrote:
Jake Matthews and Zach Ertz rumored to be staying in school


I heard a few weeks ago that Matthews was considering returning back to school. This is the first I have heard of Ertz going back to school.

_________________
Image


Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:27 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5286
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
Just read that Ertz is entering the draft.


Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:55 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3239
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
jammer wrote:
Just read that Ertz is entering the draft.


I don't think there a TE worth taking in the first round, and certainly not at 12.

_________________
Image


Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:53 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5286
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
phinsfansc wrote:
jammer wrote:
Just read that Ertz is entering the draft.


I don't think there a TE worth taking in the first round, and certainly not at 12.


I was thinking more first pick in 2nd round or trading back into the late 1st to grab him if he's a target.

I agree with not reaching for a TE at 12.


Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:47 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5047
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
I'm not too sure how things will line up, but I'd like to see us either take someone like Milliner from Alabama with the 1st pick (CB), or possibly go after someone like Keenan Allen from Cal (WR). Whoever we take I want to see us add a skill position player with that pick if we stay at 12. We badly need skill players at corner, free safety, and widereceiver. A pass rusher would be nice, but I just think we have too many glaring needs in other areas. Despite all of this talk about us needing someone across from Wake, I believe we still finished in the top five in sacks and forced fumbles. Where we seriously underachieved was in creating turnovers in our defensive secondary and in scoring touchdowns with our receivers.


Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:19 am
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3239
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
wkloiber13 wrote:
I'm not too sure how things will line up, but I'd like to see us either take someone like Milliner from Alabama with the 1st pick (CB), or possibly go after someone like Keenan Allen from Cal (WR). Whoever we take I want to see us add a skill position player with that pick if we stay at 12. We badly need skill players at corner, free safety, and widereceiver. A pass rusher would be nice, but I just think we have too many glaring needs in other areas. Despite all of this talk about us needing someone across from Wake, I believe we still finished in the top five in sacks and forced fumbles. Where we seriously underachieved was in creating turnovers in our defensive secondary and in scoring touchdowns with our receivers.


The Dolphins did have 42 sacks, which ranked 7th in the league. Miami forced 15 fumbles, which is not top 10. But I just don't believe there was the constant pressure needed to take pressure off the defensive backfield. Yes, I most certainly believe the Dolphins need to add a couple of DB's, and I have 2 in my mock.

The last game of the year against New England sticks out to me. Miami had 4 sacks against that team in Miami, when the Patriots had some injuries on the OL. In New England, they did not have a single sack. You need playmakers at the back end, no question. But it has been proven that consistent pressure on Tom Brady, or any QB for that matter will force those bad throws and give you a chance for INT's.

I would be very surprised if the Dolphins did not add a WR in free agency. You can get a very good WR in the 2nd round of this draft.

_________________
Image


Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:27 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5286
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
phinsfansc wrote:
I would be very surprised if the Dolphins did not add a WR in free agency. You can get a very good WR in the 2nd round of this draft.


Agreed. I'm not sure Mike Wallace isn't re-signed in Pittsburgh, and even if he hits the market his age/speed will be coveted by so many teams.

I realize his age and injuries are a turn off, but Jennings makes far too much sense and Miami would be the best fit for him. Green Bay has so many other needs to re-sign in the next few years and they are perfectly positioned to draft a replacement in the 1st round. I can see Miami outbidding everyone else for his services.

We really have no idea who will be there in the 2nd round. Keenan Allen or Terrence Williams might slip. Ireland has shown in the last two drafts that he will trade up to get a potential playmaker and don't be surprised if history repeats itself. He's also doubled down so don't be surprised if they target receivers in both the 2nd and 3rd round.

I get the feeling there might be a panic run on QBs early in the draft because so many of those teams need a new face of the organization. Even though both Tannehill and Weeden didn't necessarily shine, they proved teh game isn't too big and offer upside. Newton, Locker, Ponder, Dalton...same story to varying degrees. It wouldn't shock me in the least if Smith, Wilson, Glennon and Barkley went top 15, and that would cause some elite pass rushing talent or Milliner to fall right into Miami's lap.


Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2426
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
I would be very surprised if the Dolphins did not add a WR in free agency. You can get a very good WR in the 2nd round of this draft.


Agreed. I'm not sure Mike Wallace isn't re-signed in Pittsburgh, and even if he hits the market his age/speed will be coveted by so many teams.

I realize his age and injuries are a turn off, but Jennings makes far too much sense and Miami would be the best fit for him. Green Bay has so many other needs to re-sign in the next few years and they are perfectly positioned to draft a replacement in the 1st round. I can see Miami outbidding everyone else for his services.

We really have no idea who will be there in the 2nd round. Keenan Allen or Terrence Williams might slip. Ireland has shown in the last two drafts that he will trade up to get a potential playmaker and don't be surprised if history repeats itself. He's also doubled down so don't be surprised if they target receivers in both the 2nd and 3rd round.

I get the feeling there might be a panic run on QBs early in the draft because so many of those teams need a new face of the organization. Even though both Tannehill and Weeden didn't necessarily shine, they proved teh game isn't too big and offer upside. Newton, Locker, Ponder, Dalton...same story to varying degrees. It wouldn't shock me in the least if Smith, Wilson, Glennon and Barkley went top 15, and that would cause some elite pass rushing talent or Milliner to fall right into Miami's lap.


I can see a doubling down on WR if a top free agent isn't signed. But if they sign a top free agent, I don't imagine using a 2 and 3.

Just by getting a top free agent, Miami's WR situation goes from crap to solid. Drafting another WR early will make it possibly the deepest position on the team. In that case, just drafting one WR early will be more than enough.

IF Miami doesn't get a top free agent WR, then I expect Ireland to trade up to get his top guy, AND draft another WR with one of the other top picks. I can't see him letting the position slip again. He needs to get weapons for Tannehill and failing to get a WR could cost him his job.

I sure hope you are right about 4 QB's in the top 15. That would be fantastic for us!!!


Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:28 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5286
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
degs wrote:
I can see a doubling down on WR if a top free agent isn't signed. But if they sign a top free agent, I don't imagine using a 2 and 3.


I agree, was pointing out scenarios more than predicting their picks. It all depends on free agency and who they decide to keep. Right now Bess is the only receiver guaranteed a roster spot unless Hartline re-signs.


Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Ridiculously Early Mock Draft
some more bad news, Taylor Lewan is going back to school. I thought he was a senior.


Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:05 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AFCMiamiEast, dolphindebby, Finster, Google [Bot], phinsfanmel, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.