View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Mike Shanahan's gonna ruin this kid 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Mike Shanahan's gonna ruin this kid
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -reinjury/

Stubbornness leads to RG3 reinjury

Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2013, 7:14 PM EST

Getty Images
They should have listened to Dr. Andrews.

One of the most renowned sports physicians has been concerned about the Redskins’ decision to use quarterback Robert Griffin III while he recovered from a Grade One LCL sprain, suffered four weeks ago. Today, with Griffin limping increasingly throughout a wild-card game against the Seahawks, the injured right knee appeared to finally give out while Griffin was trying to get his hands on a bad shotgun snap.

It never should have come to that. With the Redskins being hailed for their shrewd decision to take a fourth-round flier on quarterback Kirk Cousins, who helped the Redskins come from behind against the Ravens and then beat the Browns, coach Mike Shanahan should have called for Cousins, especially after the Seahawks took a 21-14 lead.

They didn’t, and now Griffin is done for the day and, barring a miracle, for the year.

The only question is whether Griffin has done further damage that could impact his preparations for the 2013 season. If so, owner Daniel Snyder should be asking tough questions of anyone and everyone involved in the process that kept their most prized player on the field when he should have been on the sidelines.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:57 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Mike Shanahan's gonna ruin this kid
Him and Luck looked like rookies today.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'd be a little more careful with the guy your owner gave up three 1st round picks for.
Having a hard time seeing this guy last long with the decisions he and Shanahan make every week.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If you don't want your starting QB in your playoff games, you are an idiot.
He...they pushed too hard, but it's not as black and white as the article makes it out to be.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If you watched the game, it was pretty black and white. The guy was completely ineffective and limping all over the field after the 1st quarter. (remember you gave up your next 3 years for this guy)

That final knee buckle was just disgusting. Shanahan has misused him all season and continues to put him in harm's way. RG3 has already torn his ACL in college in that same knee. It won't be long before he's not RG3 anymore. Without his elite athleticism, he's just another quarterback.

What the lesson learned is that no matter how athletic your Qb is, eventually they will all have to learn to win from the pocket to be a champion.

Last edited by swerve13 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:32 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

RG3 should have come out of the game

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/ ... f-the-game

Quote:
Anybody who watched Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III hobble through the second and third quarters of his team's season-ending, 24-14 playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at FedEx Field could see that (A) he was badly hurt and (B) he was hurting his team's chances.

It's not a second-guess. I sat next to John Clayton all game, and he can assure you that I was saying the same in the second quarter and the third quarter that I was saying in the fourth, when Griffin's injured right knee finally collapsed like a tower of Legos and the situation went from clear to absurdly obvious.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:34 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I would have pulled him. Cousins seems to be an adequate back & you dont risk further injury even though it was obvious that this would be the final game of the season for him.
Even with the loss hopefully Shanahan will know better next time , this kid (and Luck as well) is special & if he stays healthy the Redskins will contend for a lot of years to come.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:26 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
Him and Luck looked like rookies today.

I give Luck more slack than RG III or Wilson. Luck really carries the team and when his supporting cast let him down his rookie status became apparent. Can't believe Indy was able to go from Manning to him.

How many times this year has Wilson been able to feed off of a good ground game? I hate taking credit away from the kid, and I think he will be a good starter, but I don't think he is the next big thing. Same kind of goes for RG III except he was his own ground game often and once he lost his legs it became obvious he couldn't do much more. He'll develop into a good pocket passer, but I think defenses will catch up to him in his sophmore season.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I give Luck more slack than RG III or Wilson. Luck really carries the team and when his supporting cast let him down his rookie status became apparent. Can't believe Indy was able to go from Manning to him.

How many times this year has Wilson been able to feed off of a good ground game? I hate taking credit away from the kid, and I think he will be a good starter, but I don't think he is the next big thing. Same kind of goes for RG III except he was his own ground game often and once he lost his legs it became obvious he couldn't do much more. He'll develop into a good pocket passer, but I think defenses will catch up to him in his sophmore season.

Luck's O-line is putrid. What he did this year in light of that is a feat in itself ..... they make our O-line look all-world.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:22 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that there is "much greater concern" about Robert Griffin III's reconstructed right knee than Griffin or "anyone connected to the Redskins" has let on.
Griffin will end up rehabbing both knees because surgeons were forced to use a patellar tendon graft from his left knee in order to fix his right. He tore the ACL, LCL, and partially tore his meniscus in the right knee. Per PFT's source, the "biggest concern" is with Griffin's knee cartilage. Due to two knee constructions and ultimately three surgeries since 2009 at Baylor, there is concern "about how much (cartilage) remains and how long it will last" in Griffin's knee(s). A potential end result could be a bone-on-bone condition, which can lead to microfracture surgery and/or shorten a football player's career.

-Pro Football Talk

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Yikes, that is awful for RG III.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the downside of a running quarterback. His situation reminds me too much of Culpepper.

They're talkin about it now and our Danny boy Marino is saying Shanahan should have pulled him out. Marino is worried that RG3's plant leg will never be the same and it will effect his throwing, not just his running.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This reminds me of Greg Cook.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:29 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

As someone that is dealing with bone on bone in my left knee, I can tell you this is a horrible thing to hear and have to deal with. The one thing I can say is his doctor, James Andrews is now working with stem cell treatment. Stem cell can take any form, including cartilage.

The FDA is doing more testing on stem cell, but it is much more advanced overseas. It something I am keeping my eye on, and unfortunately Robert will at sometime as well. My doctor told me I was to young to be going thru knee replacement and I am 48. This kid is only 22 years old.

And it was pretty clear to me by late 1st quarter, early 2nd quarter that the kid was not close to being right. He could not drive off the leg to make throws, much less move.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

Luck's O-line is putrid. What he did this year in light of that is a feat in itself ..... they make our O-line look all-world.

You're right, Luck was running for his life most of the season and still managed to set rookie passer records. He's going to be one heck of a player in my opinion. But by comparison his line is sturdier and more dependable than ours. I really hope our staff adds one or two guys who understand and are athletic enough to run the zone blocking scheme we want to run. You can tell this season we we're putting a lot of players into systems that they didn't fit. We're nowhere near done rebuilding this roster. You can't go from ground and pound Sparano to West Coast Sherman/Philbin in one season. It's going to take at least 2-3 years before this roster is all Philbin's.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
But by comparison his line is sturdier and more dependable than ours.

That is not even remotely accurate.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]