View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 OT: Top 5 most annoying types of NFL fans 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post OT: Top 5 most annoying types of NFL fans
Do you know anyone that fits one of these?

Quote:
Top 5 most annoying types of NFL fans
Alex Gelhar

Well, well, well, another NFL season is in the books which means it is now a time for reflection. But I’m not talking about reflecting on your team’s performance, their chances in 2013, or anything of that ilk. I’m talking about discussing a more interesting, incendiary, and pervasive topic – NFL fans. That’s right, it’s time to turn your hyper-critical eyes onto yourselves for a few moments. In preparation for the postseason, I present you a list of the five most annoying types of NFL fans you probably encountered this season. Keep in mind, this is not an indictment of any specific team’s fan base, but rather certain types of fans that populate every stadium, bar, and Buffalo Wild Wings from sea to shining sea. Here we go.

5) The Bandwagon jumper

Few things are as obnoxious as a fan of one team jumping ship to root passionately for another team either during the season, or in the playoffs. Thankfully, the NFL has fans devoted enough to their franchises that this typically doesn’t happen, but when it does, it’s revolting. Speaking of bandwagons, if your team is already out and you are looking for a cozy bandwagon to board, we will be putting together a handy guide to help your wayward fandom find a home. Even though it pains us to do so. Check back in with the Sidelines Blog later this week for the guide. Or just suck it up, enjoy the playoffs, and cheer for your team next year. Your call.

4) The Know-it-all stats maven

This is the fan that’s wonderful to have around when he’s backing up your arguments, but more obnoxious than the unrelenting Tim Tebow coverage when he’s correcting your arguments. He lurks quietly in the darkness at bars or in stands, waiting for his chance to strike and one-up unsuspecting fans with his prodigious depth of useless knowledge.

3) The “Championships” argument fan

You know this guy. Everyone does. Heck, I’ll even admit to pulling out this lame argument at points when I’m smarting over my teams’ loss. This is the guy who win or lose, always reverts back to his team’s Super Bowl or championship record as the end all be all for ANY argument. Like when the Steelers lost to the Cowboys, or the Packers to the 49ers. Sure, winning titles is the reason everyone plays the game, but don’t be a tool and have that be your sole argument for everything. Unless you’re a Bills or Vikings fans and use the reverse-Championships argument for sympathy and support. That’s granted, you poor, suffering souls.

2) The doesn’t know anything die-hard

These fans can typically be found screaming in the direction of the TV or field at the top of their lungs, likely spewing obscenities at a faster rate than Christian Bale on the set of Terminator Salvation. Yet, when you get this supposed die-hard one-on-one, they know next to nothing about their team outside of the marquee players and maybe the head coach. If you’re looking for an honest, intelligent discussion about football, this is the fan to avoid. If you’re looking for a fist-fight on the other hand…

1) The Eternal Pessimist/Optimist

These sad sacks are about as annoying as fans come, regardless of which side of the emotional spectrum they fall on. Whether they’re cursing every incompletion as the straw that broke their teams’ back, or telling you just how many touchdowns, two point conversions, and onside kicks their team needs to comeback, these fans take the cake. Making matters worse is the fact that these fans keep the same sad demeanor year in and year out, blindly believing this is their year, or bemoaning their impending playoff loss because their quarterback performed poorly in preseason.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/01/02/top-5-m ... -nfl-fans/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: OT: Top 5 most annoying types of NFL fans
most of us here fall under #1 i guess

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:52 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

4) The Know-it-all stats maven

Rich

3) The “Championships” argument fan

Makchell, always telling people '72 was a perfect season and SB..lol

Junkie

1) The Eternal Pessimist/Optimist

Mitch/Serve

None of us are #5, Tampabay Bucs fans are. I'm just having a little fun with the above. You guys make this site great.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:04 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:

Junkie

He gets his own category.

6) The "I cancelled NFL Ticket and don't watch the games but will still tell you how the team LOOKED" fan.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
most of us here fall under #1 i guess

Yup, most of us that grew up in the Marino era are trying to stay upbeat while waiting for the day that this franchise turns things around and gets back to winning. The sad thing is it's impossible to predict when that will happen.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:45 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Please start winning so I can get out of that category. But hey, mak , 72 was only 40 years ago..

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Please start winning so I can get out of that category. But hey, mak , 72 was only 40 years ago..

And I wasn't even born yet!!! lol

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:21 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm not sure if I fit in any of those, but I'm sure there is a category for me that hasn't been put together. Being from the Don Shula since '70 and Griese/Marino years, I used to be an eternal optimist. All this losing is turning me into a pessimist ... but I am 'starting' to see hope again.

I know we ride Junkie a bit, but I am glad that we all here don't have the same opinion on things. It would be a boring day at Phinfever if there wasn't an argument to break up.

:war:

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:51 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He gets his own category.

6) The "I cancelled NFL Ticket and don't watch the games but will still tell you how the team LOOKED" fan.

Haaaaa! Haaaaa! Rich!! I laughed hard at this one!

Gary (AKA Junkie for those that don't know his first name) is so funny. We met each other at a sports bar in the Denver area back in the early 90's and before we had Direct TV in our homes. He has ALWAYS been the same when analyzing the fins!! However, although his thoughts get into debatable modes time and time again (even when he DOESN'T watch the game, Ha! Ha!) he is a great person and someone that is a true friend to others.

Even though I moved from Denver to Houston 14 years ago, we basically still talk during and after most all Dolphin games. He cracks me up on this forum as he seems to put himself in the line of attack on a lot of his postings. I think it is the Mechanical Engineer in him!!!

I always sit back and watch the wrath come at him and I just laugh. He enjoys it!!

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:03 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

To be a true member of Phinfever I think you have to be a blend of all of those categories. Sometimes you know too much and sometimes you pull it out of nowhere just so you can be in the conversation.

I can tell you, as can any Fins fan living up here in New England, that just about every Pats fan fits the #5 category and they all blast you every day for not jumping on board.

I can't wait for the day Brady and Belichick are gone and NE is terrible. The wrath I am bringing down on them...epic.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Good posts. Like I said, it's the members and all the opinions that make this site great.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

#7 The drunk fat Jets fan sitting behind my family yelling obscenities at a Dolphins home game.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]