View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Miami Brass meets with Dez Bryant 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Miami Brass meets with Dez Bryant
The Miami Dolphins met with Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant on Thursday night in "a get to know you session" that will carry over until Friday, according to league sources.

The Dolphins, who pick 12th in the first round, could use a dynamic player such as Bryant, who is viewed by most evaluators as the draft's top receiver.

However, the Dolphins front office tends to stay away from high-maintenance players, especially when they are a receiver. They've even created a term for them, referring to the Terrell Owens' of the NFL as "diva receivas."

Bryant's draft stock is sliding because of questions about his character, complicated upbringing, work ethic and commitment to football.

Since the draft process began, Bryant, who was suspended for most of last season because he lied to the NCAA investigators, has faced rumors that he skipped meetings, classes and was late for games while at OSU.

"I don't look for trouble. I don't find trouble or none of that stuff. I'm not a troublemaker," Bryant said this week. "Just because I've experienced bad things, that don't make me a bad person. That don't make my mom a bad person. My mom overcame a lot of adversity just as well as I have."

Bryant's sit-down with the Dolphins allowed him to state his case. He has a meeting with Parcells scheduled for Friday. Last season, the Dolphins sat down with Patrick Turner and Brian Hartline in a similar setting before selecting those two receivers in the 2009 draft.

The Dolphins, who are seeking a big-play receiver, could certainly use Bryant's services. Not only did he average 16.5 yards per reception (2,425 total receiving yards) in the 28 games he played for OSU, but he scored 29 touchdowns and was a dynamic returner.

"I just think we need good players. When I say that, we have a lot of good players on our team right now. We want to take good players. But at the end of the day, we have to be concerned with all the other things that are out there," Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said last week when asked about Bryant, who is 6 feet 2, 225 pounds. "He has different issues, and we have to do our due diligence that way. But we have to take good players."

The Associated Press contributed to this report. Omar Kelly can be reached at okelly@SunSentinel.com

Copyright © 2010, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Miami Brass meets with Dez Bryant
Quote:
They've even created a term for them, referring to the Terrell Owens' of the NFL as "diva receivas."

Didn't realize we were fans of the Boston Dolphins.

Not surprised at all, and actually very glad that Miami is having a long hard discussion with the guy.

That one on one discussion with Parcells is going to be something...Lol. Man what I would give to be in that room...

Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:08 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

As much as I want a defensive player drafted with the #12 pick, I won't be upset with the Trifecta if they selected Bryant after speaking with him and working him out. If they feel he is the right choice then he must be something special for Tuna not to pick a OLB or ILB.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:05 am

MdDolfan wrote:
As much as I want a defensive player drafted with the #12 pick, I won't be upset with the Trifecta if they selected Bryant after speaking with him and working him out. If they feel he is the right choice then he must be something special for Tuna not to pick a OLB or ILB.

+1.

If they do take Dez, than I will eat my words and be the happiest man on the planet. I remember watching this guy his sophomore year thinking Miami would never have a chance to get a player like him at the WR position. It's really a shame that all of this stuff is coming out, especially if it is all true.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:08 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Glad that they are sitting the kid down and at least exploring this idea and doing all the necessary due diligence in order to pick the best available player at pick number 12.

I have said all along that me personally, would love to see Miami select Dez Bryant, but realistically the odds could be low for that to actually happen.

I am eager to find out all the truth to their behind the scenes not for public information that the brass is thinking about now with their strategy in the draft. That makes it exciting when these picks come around and get to see what they really do with these draft pick selections.

Surely, they have thrown up some smoke screens and for some reason I anticipate Ireland making a trade or two for veteran players they have on their radar.

Can't wait until the draft!!

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:22 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
That one on one discussion with Parcells is going to be something...Lol. Man what I would give to be in that room...

If Parcells feels he can do something with Bryant he will find out in their interview. I think he knows a little something about players that live life on the psycholocially undisciplined side in Lawrence Taylor.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I like this a lot. Even if they don't draft him, I'm sure there are teams out there who would love to have him and this could spark some trade discussion.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]