View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Hyde5: Here's the draft lesson from Pro Bowl picks 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Hyde5: Here's the draft lesson from Pro Bowl picks
Quote:
Dave Hyde

8:24 a.m. EST, December 27, 2012

1. Every year when the Pro Bowl comes out people count up the number of players on specific teams to gauge who has the most talent (Houston had eight players). I'm fascinated by another number, too. I count where players are taken to adopt draft philosophies.

How many Pro Bowlers come in the top 15 of drafts? What are the odds of finding elite players out of the first round?

In other words: Would you trade down if you had, say, the No. 12 pick in 2010 for two lower picks?

This year confirms what is said every year: Greatness goes very early in the draft. Let's break down the numbers:

* 41 percent of the Pro Bowl players (32 of 78 every-down selections (no special teamers) were picked in the Top 15 of the draft.

* 58.9 percent (46 of 78) of them were taken in the first round.

This is why the first round of the draft is so important - and also why it shapes how teams should draft. For instance, the Dolphins were the team that traded their 12th pick in 2010 for two lower picks. They got two pretty good players, too, in Jared Odrick (28th) and Koa Misi (second round).

In so doing, they bypassed the chance for greatness. Seattle safety Earl Thomas (14th overall) and Jason Pierre-Paul (15th) were there to be taken.

5. The only drafted Dolphin to make the Pro Bowl? Guard Wade Smith. Drafted in the third round in 2003. Cut by Nick Saban. Now with Houston.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 2792.story

I was hoping we would take Earl Thomas that year. Oh well. Onwards and upwards ... I hope.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:17 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Hyde5: Here's the draft lesson from Pro Bowl picks
Exactly. Quality over quantity. That's why I want to use our Day 2 picks to move back up...forget trading down and stockpiling picks.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I've always wanted a GM who will trade lower round picks for higher picks the next year and do it constantly.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The only drafted Dolphin to make the Pro Bowl? Guard Wade Smith. Drafted in the third round in 2003. Cut by Nick Saban. Now with Houston.

Happy for him. He was chastised in Miami for not being ready to start as a 3rd Rd pick in '03 at left tackle. Played well IMO but made mistakes & was quickly blamed for the pitiful OL performance at the start of the '04 season. Which we found out was not the case. Always thought he had the talent.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:01 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

...and here is the problem with Ireland. He has stayed away from big name, big talent guys. Occasionally he takes a chance like he did with Bush and Dansby but those are really rare. He's more in his comfort zone trying to mine gems from lower rounds, low level discard FAs, injured guys, Canada etc. This approach hasn't been a complete failure...but it has left this team middle of the pack for several years running. How many guys on here wanted to see him trade up for RGIII? Instead, Washington gets him. You had high profile players like Manning who came in, then flew out the next day to sign elsewhere (What was said to make these guys leave?) FTR, Manning, Harbaugh, Fisher. For all the grief people catch for questioning Ireland...I think there is a problem there. That too needs to be solved in the off-season.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
...and here is the problem with Ireland. He has stayed away from big name, big talent guys. Occasionally he takes a chance like he did with Bush and Dansby but those are really rare. He's more in his comfort zone trying to mine gems from lower rounds, low level discard FAs, injured guys, Canada etc.

That's the thing with him ..... seems it's more important to try and unearth a gem from a dumpster.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:20 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Wade Smith is going to the Pro Bowl?? Unreal.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]