View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What I would do as GM 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post What I would do as GM
What I would do if I were GM with $50 million plus in cap space:

On offense in order of priority.

1. Sign Mike Wallace:

He fits best with this group. Bess is a slot/possession guy who is good at getting open in short spaces and gaining a couple of extra yards after the catch. Hartline is a good short to intermediate possession receiver that can beat the secondary deep once in a while, but is not a gamebreaker. They have 2 touchdowns between them. Wallace has 8 touchdowns this season and 32 for his career (he averages 8 TDs a year so he is consistent).

You need that guy to compliment those skillsets and that guy is Wallace. He's the fastest receiver in the NFL. He can blow the top off a defense. Defenses will no longer be able to stack eight in the box with Wallace in the game.

If defenses want to box 8 and play one on one outside, he will burn them deep. If they want to play off and prevent the big play, that will create room for Bess and Hartline underneath.

Bottom line: Wallace adds a dynamic this offense is sorely lacking: speed. He is a deep threat and is young at 26 years of age. He is worth the big bucks.

2. Resign Brian Hartline:

He has had a breakout year and seems to improve each season. As mentioned before, he is a nice short to intermediate threat and three weapons are better than two.

3A. Try to resign Jake Long at a fair deal:

I know there is a lot of talk about Jake Long declining and seeing what Jonathan Martin can do. Whether Martin plays better the rest of the way or not, I still try to bring Long back. I mentioned paramaters of a contract in another thread, around the neighborhood of 5 years, $45 million and $10 million in guarantees. I would incentivize the contract based on his health to offer some protection and offer incentives based on games played etc. If he balks, here is plan B:

3B. Look at other top tackles in free agency:

Go after either Ryan Clady, Branden Albert or Sebastian Vollmer and draft a tackle anywhere in rounds 2-4 to develop for the future while Martin and the big free agent acquisition hold the fort. This way we have three options for the two positions in case Martin doesn't develop. I think Vollmer would be the best option from a price versus quality perspective as Clady is probably looking for Joe Thomas-type money.

4. Upgrade at least one guard position:

Here is another opportunity to address a need with both a free agent veteran and a rookie. Brandon Moore and Andy Levitre are two free agent options that would immediately be an upgrade over John Jerry. I'd also look at guards late in the draft.

5. Sign a young, athletic tight end that can work the middle:

I'd start with Dustin Keller, who also brings speed and can line up at WR in certain sets. Fred Davis and Jared Cook are also options worth looking at in free agency. Delanie Walker is a sleeper.

6. Resign Reggie Bush at a fair price, try to move Daniel Thomas:

Daniel Thomas has shown very little at running back. I would move him and try to resign Bush and let Lamar Miller be the back up.

With these moves, we've now added deep speed at wide receiver, kept one of our best receivers, upgraded the offensive line, added a viable receiving otpion at tight end and keep speed and playmaking ability at the running back position.

On defense in order of priority:

The draft is deep at corner and defensive end, so the focus for the first two rounds should be there. The defense does not need a lot of help. I am happy with our linebackers, especially Koa Misi and the improvement he has shown. Our defensive line is strong but we need to put more pressure on the QB. The back-end of the defense is where I have concerns both at corner and free safety.

1. Acquire a playmaker at cornerback:

There isn't a lot in free agency. The only names that intrigue me are Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, Derek Cox and Brent Grimes. All of these players come with question marks (i.e. health, consistency), so buyer beware. Our best bet is to look for a corner in the 1st or 2nd round. There may be as many as 9 viable first/second round talents at corner this year with good size and measurables.

DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama
Height: 6-1. Weight: 182.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44

Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 185.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44

David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 194.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46

Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45

Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
Height: 6-0. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.49

Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
Height: 6-0. Weight: 193.
Projected 40 Time: 4.47

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
Height: 6-0. Weight: 184.
Projected 40 Time: 4.42

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
Height: 5-11. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46

2. Acquire a pass rusher, even if it is a situational pass rusher:

The draft also offers up some good options here.

Damontre Moore, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
Height: 6-4. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70

Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 260.
Projected 40 Time: 4.61

Barkevious Mingo*, DE/OLB, LSU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 240.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60

Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 255.
Projected 40 Time: 4.74

Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
Height: 6-4. Weight: 265.
Projected 40 Time: 4.73

Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
Height: 6-7. Weight: 243.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70

Corey Lemonier*, DE/OLB, Auburn
Height: 6-4. Weight: 246.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
Height: 6-6. Weight: 270.
Projected 40 Time: 4.69

3. Resign Randy Starks:

He can be had at a premium cost and is our most versatile defensive lineman. Can play end or tackle, can stuff the run or rush the passer.

4. Bring in a safety to compete with Chris Clemons, either at a bargain price in free agency or as a mid to late round pick.

With these moves we significantly upgrade speed and athleticism on offense so now it is up to the QB to make it happen.

We also fortify the secondary and improve the pass rush, which have been the two main problem spots for this defense.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: What I would do as GM
I'd love to resign Starks, but I get the feeling Odrick is gonna be slid over to his spot.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:09 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
I'd love to resign Starks, but I get the feeling Odrick is gonna be slid over to his spot.

Sliding Odrick over makes sense, but then who can stuff the run at defensive end?

Unless we use a top pick at DE, we'd most likely be acquiring a situation pass rusher. Have Starks, Odrick and Soliai up front is one of the reasons we're so hard to run against. And Wake does a pretty good job of setting the edge on his side.

Starks signed a pretty affordable deal with us and I don't see why he wouldn't be amenable to doing the same again.

I'm more worried about Sean Smith asking for money he doesn't deserve than Starks (who actually does deserve it).

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:16 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Sliding Odrick over makes sense, but then who can stuff the run at defensive end?.

I know some have mixed feelings on Pro Football Focus, but they have Odrick as 35th against the run. And to be honest, I don't care if we lose a little there. I'd take added pass rush from that position and be willing to sacrifice run D.

The draft's best position, bar none, is DE. There are going to be a crazy amount of very talented ones available. Their 1st round pick better be a pass rusher...

As far as Free Agency, I'd a similar approach I wouldn't go spend big money on a LT, but I'd let Fasano walk and try to replace him with either Cook or Keller like you said. I don't see Fred Davis being let go by Washington. I'd also go after Wallace, but the price has to be reasonable. The situation with Jennings will be interesting too.

That said, I doubt any of this happens (and I won't be upset about it) I think they're committed to the draft which is the right approach. I think they will decide to shore up the line in Free Agency a little, (something I'm all for), but those playmakers we're all craving will likely be acquired in April, IMO.

By the way, I think this team ends up with closer to 60 million to spend...They have 69.8 million committed to next year (give or take). Incognito is on his way out which would clear up 4.3 million, and I can't imagine the cap will stay at 120 with the new TV deals signed, and a full year of Thursday Night Football now....

Plus in 2014 it should spike drastically, so you could structure deals to push that money into that year, and now you've in essence got no cap for this season considering how large it is and the spike.

But again, I don't see a NY Jets approach being taken. Maybe shore up the O-line with an OG to replace Richie, and MAYBE Jennings depending on the price. That's all I see though.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Nicely done. I agree with PR that Miami isn't going bonkers in free agency but I do think the one position they will address is via free agency is WR. Its going to be Wallace or Jennings, whichever is cheaper. I also think they draft a big WR in the first 3 rounds as well. Wallace/Jennings, Hartline, Bess and a higher pedigree prospect give your QB some good options.

I can't see them letting Starks go unless his contract demands are astronomical. Teams will be open to giving him big money and I think the same goes for Long.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:32 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Please Rich!!

Be the GM!!

I would vote for you!

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:56 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

dolphinjim wrote:
Please Rich!!

Be the GM!!

I would vote for you!

I would second that vote.

Does anyone have Ireland's e-mail address? :grin:

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This is insane lol, this is my exact thoughts on what we should do as well, and it's not like I just agreed to what you said as I kept reading, but beforehand...this are my EXACT opinions as well. Although I have mixed feelings of what we should do in the 1st round.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

McShay just came out with his first mock draft and has Miami going with Dion Jordan.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:02 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

No mention of Sean Smith. I thought I read where he is a FA

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:52 pm

jammer wrote:
McShay just came out with his first mock draft and has Miami going with Dion Jordan.

One of the two most interesting prospects in the entire draft, IMO.

phinsfansc...I'm psychic;)

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:21 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
No mention of Sean Smith. I thought I read where he is a FA

I thought I put in there that I would resign Sean Smith..... at the right price. But I'd definitely bring in someone else to be my #1 corner. And have Marshall and Nolan for depth.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
That said, I doubt any of this happens (and I won't be upset about it) I think they're committed to the draft which is the right approach. I think they will decide to shore up the line in Free Agency a little, (something I'm all for), but those playmakers we're all craving will likely be acquired in April, IMO.

I'm not so sure. They aren't going to make a dent in that cap space in the draft and they have to use some of it up to make this team better.

They'll go after younger guys at the right price. I don't see them going after 28-31 year old guys with big money.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

2013 Offseason
1 - Let overpriced veterans walk (Jake Long). It was nice while it lasted.
2 - Re-sign the rest of our key veteran free agents to reasonable contracts (Hartline, Starks, Smith, Fasano, and Bush). Keep the team core intact.
3 - Build the roster through the draft. We have the most picks in the draft. Be aggressive and go after the guys we want, but don't reach. Look to make deals, whether that means moving forward for the right guy, or moving back to add picks. Try to always take the best player available that fits an area of need. We're a team with a lot of needs so it shouldn't be difficult.
4 - After the draft look to sign veteran free agents to fill out the remainder of the roster and to bring competition to training camp.

2014 Offseason
Repeat

Last edited by wkloiber13 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

What would Rich do at the QB position? Isn't Matt Moore a free agent?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dustin Keller is a guy I would definitely go after, as he is the stretch the seam, athletic, versatile TE that could be a HUGE boost to this offense. Plus, you would deliver a big blow to your division rival.

Mike Wallace was asking for Larry Fitzgerald money last year from the Steelers, and he is nowhere near close to being that caliber WR. He is certainly a speed type of receiver Miami needs, but he needs to get REAL. Greg Jennings would be someone I would keep an eye on as he is a perfect fit for what the Dolphins want. A WR that has very good speed and is good in regards to YAC.

Jake Long has to sign a team friendly deal with incentives built in for me to want him back. At this moment, Jake is a GOOD, not ELITE OLT, and it's been that way the past 2 years.

I want Randy Starks resigned, and you should not have to weaken your run defense to put together a potent pass rush. Yes Phins Rock, your boy Dion Jordan is definitely a player to look at.

Terrance Williams of Baylor, Tavon Austin of West Virginia & Cobi Hamiltion of Arkansas are the explosive type of wide receivers the Dolphins need to look at via the draft. Can't wait to see the juniors that will be coming out in this draft.

I would be tempted to draft multiple OLB/DE, and a OLB/DE would be my 1st pick of the draft.

Sean Smith is a good CB, not elite, not even close to being elite. His contract should reflect that or he needs to walk.

You got a lot of good idea Rich.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I wish David Amerson was good enough and could go to the Phins, I think he needs another year in college.

As far as Rich being GM well I don't think he is hard nosed or opinionated enough for that position.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
By James Walker | ESPN.com

Miami Dolphins (5-8)

Current draft slot: No. 12

Needs: WR, CB, TE

McShay’s pick: Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon

Analysis: I totally disagree with McShay on this pick. Dolphins defensive end Cameron Wake is playing at a Pro Bowl level and the other spot has depth with starter Jared Odrick and a fast-rising Olivier Vernon. Adding another defensive end would be a bone-headed move by Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland. Miami has plenty of other needs to address, such as getting rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill better receivers and tight ends. If Miami goes defense in the first round, adding a cornerback should be the priority and not defensive end.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... mock-draft

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
I wish David Amerson was good enough and could go to the Phins, I think he needs another year in college.

As far as Rich being GM well I don't think he is hard nosed or opinionated enough for that position.

I like Amerson, kind of reminds me of Sean Smith but with better ball skills. Would love to see us get him. Not too sure where he'll go though. I've read everything from a late 1st to a late 2nd. If he's there late 2nd I'd be all over it.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Dustin Keller is a guy I would definitely go after, as he is the stretch the seam, athletic, versatile TE that could be a HUGE boost to this offense. Plus, you would deliver a big blow to your division rival.

Mike Wallace was asking for Larry Fitzgerald money last year from the Steelers, and he is nowhere near close to being that caliber WR. He is certainly a speed type of receiver Miami needs, but he needs to get REAL. Greg Jennings would be someone I would keep an eye on as he is a perfect fit for what the Dolphins want. A WR that has very good speed and is good in regards to YAC.

Jake Long has to sign a team friendly deal with incentives built in for me to want him back. At this moment, Jake is a GOOD, not ELITE OLT, and it's been that way the past 2 years.

I want Randy Starks resigned, and you should not have to weaken your run defense to put together a potent pass rush. Yes Phins Rock, your boy Dion Jordan is definitely a player to look at.

Terrance Williams of Baylor, Tavon Austin of West Virginia & Cobi Hamiltion of Arkansas are the explosive type of wide receivers the Dolphins need to look at via the draft. Can't wait to see the juniors that will be coming out in this draft.

I would be tempted to draft multiple OLB/DE, and a OLB/DE would be my 1st pick of the draft.

Sean Smith is a good CB, not elite, not even close to being elite. His contract should reflect that or he needs to walk.

You got a lot of good idea Rich.

If Robert Woods declares for the draft he'll be another burner we could look at.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Love the choice of Keller at tight end... absolutely love it.

Also agree with your reasoning on Wallace. And he's young.

Depending on what Jennings wants, I wouldn't mind pursuing both him AND Wallace and perhaps letting Hartline walk. If you can find a fair deal for Hartline, re-sign him too. Four wide sets with Wallace and Jennings on the outside with Hartline and Bess in the slots is appealing. Can't have too many good wideouts, especially in this offense. Look at Green Bay -- Nelson, Jennings, Jones and Cobb all have distinct roles in that offense. And with the massive amount of cap space, this team can afford go to a bit nuts at WR. It will also give us a chance to judge Ryan Tannehill with a bevy of legitimate weapons.

Would be in favor of keeping Bush... I liked how they used him on Sunday -- finally!

I'm also on board with cutting Incognito and going after a Vollmer to play tackle. Jake Long, I don't know yet.

Not sure I am on board with a DE in the first round. I like Olivier Vernon, and he's improved as the season has gone on. He was another guy that was raw coming into the season, so he should continue to improve as he gets older.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Moore is a great backup QB. If he wants to stay that for about what he's making now, I say keep him.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Moore is a great backup QB. If he wants to stay that for about what he's making now, I say keep him.

Not too sure that's going to be an option. Moore has played well enough in his reserve capacity to earn a pretty hefty raise. Someone who wants a quarterback competition would likely look to bring him in. He'd be a great candidate to go somewhere like Arizona or Kansas City. That said, I completely agree that if he were willing to re-sign for a contract similar to the one he's currently under I'd be all for it.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:52 pm

I have concerns about Jennings being he is up there in years and seems to be becoming more injury prone.

I'd be willing to "overpay" for Wallace. I don't care if he is Larry Fitzgerald. I care about how he would fit with the talent we already have. His value goes beyond catches and yards. I gauge it as what does his topline speed do to open things up for the other wideouts, a tight end and the running game. If his skillset opens up the running game because teams can't stack the box and opens up more underneath routes for the TE and Bess/Hartline, then he becomes as valuable to us as Fitzgerald is to Arizona.

As for letting Jake Long walk, sorry you don't let him walk if he is willing to get compensated at a fair price. We saw this past Sunday that we would potentially be creating another huge hole if he isn't on the team. If he wants that Joe Thomas deal, then yes you let him walk and pick up someone like a Vollmer.

As far as back up QB, I think Pat Devlin may be the answer there as he has already improved quite a bit. I'd also look at signing a veteran or drafting another QB in the mid to late rounds.

And as far as pass rusher, Olivier Vernon hasn't had a sack in two months and it seems his playing time has actually gone down. I am by no means sold with the pass rushers we have on the roster besides Wake. It is such an important position that I am willing to use a high first round pick on one.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
I have concerns about Jennings being he is up there in years and seems to be becoming more injury prone.

I'd be willing to "overpay" for Wallace. I don't care if he is Larry Fitzgerald. I care about how he would fit with the talent we already have. His value goes beyond catches and yards. I gauge it as what does his topline speed do to open things up for the other wideouts, a tight end and the running game. If his skillset opens up the running game because teams can't stack the box and opens up more underneath routes for the TE and Bess/Hartline, then he becomes as valuable to us as Fitzgerald is to Arizona.

As for letting Jake Long walk, sorry you don't let him walk if he is willing to get compensated at a fair price. We saw this past Sunday that we would potentially be creating another huge hole if he isn't on the team. If he wants that Joe Thomas deal, then yes you let him walk and pick up someone like a Vollmer.

As far as back up QB, I think Pat Devlin may be the answer there as he has already improved quite a bit. I'd also look at signing a veteran or drafting another QB in the mid to late rounds.

And as far as pass rusher, Olivier Vernon hasn't had a sack in two months and it seems his playing time has actually gone down. I am by no means sold with the pass rushers we have on the roster besides Wake. It is such an important position that I am willing to use a high first round pick on one.

I'm not really of the mindset that we go after any high priced free agents this year. We have the most picks in the draft. I think we're in a perfect place to build our roster through the draft and fill most of the areas of need we have. I mean seriously, how many free agent signings that we've made in the last five years outside of Wake, Starks, and Moore have really been difference makers for our team? Difference makers that were not only starting and making an impact on the field but also were fiscally advantageous?

I agree that Wallace fits an area of need, but wouldn't you agree that we could draft some kid in the first three rounds with 4.3 speed that could do many of the same things as Wallace??? Perhaps we don't wind up with a Pro Bowler, but we'll probably wind up with a guy that is more than capable of giving us 40-50 catches a season and who stretches the field. We have five picks in the first three rounds this year. I don't see one reason why we couldn't find ourselves two wideouts that are more than capable of filling our needs and not breaking the bank at the same time.

The way I see our roster right now is we need several things. I'm going to assume we loose Long in free agency and re-sign the rest of our veteran free agents. So after Long departs, here is what I see as our shopping list in no particular order:
1 - Offensive Tackle (1)
2 - Offensive Guard (1)
3 - Big Physical Receiver (1)
4 - Speed Receiver (1)
5 - Outside Cornerback (1)
6 - Free Safety (1)
7 - Defensive Line Depth (1)
8 - Linebacker Depth (1)
9 - Offensive Line Depth (1)

We have exactly nine picks at this time if I'm not mistaken, ten if we get a compensatory for Long. So in my eyes, we can fill almost all of our areas of need through the draft this year. I'm also sure there will also be a few undrafted free agents as well as veteran free agents that are on the market to fill out the back end of the roster for camp. We've been talking as a fan base for years about how the best teams are the ones that build through the draft. I think Miami is in the right position to start doing that and reverse the last ten plus years of poor overpriced free agent signings.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:12 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
I'm not really of the mindset that we go after any high priced free agents this year. We have the most picks in the draft. I think we're in a perfect place to build our roster through the draft and fill most of the areas of need we have.

We have the most picks in the draft, but its 9 picks, more than half of which are mid to late rounders. What is the probability that those mid to late rounders effectively fill the needs we have?

The answer to that question is very low. We need to hit on picks in the first three rounds, but after that you're picking longshots.

That means we may effectively fill about 2-3 positions through the draft. That's why you use free agency to supplement the draft.

The reason free agency usually doesn't work out is because you're overpaying for what someone has done with another team. But in the case of guys like Wallace and Vollmer, they are younger players who have yet to reach their prime.

Quote:
I mean seriously, how many free agent signings that we've made in the last five years outside of Wake, Starks, and Moore have really been difference makers for our team?

You forgot about Dansby and Reggie Bush.

You also forget how many players we've drafted versus how many have panned out.

The good teams don't put their eggs in one basket (draft versus free agency).

They use both.

Quote:
I agree that Wallace fits an area of need, but wouldn't you agree that we could draft some kid in the first three rounds with 4.3 speed that could do many of the same things as Wallace???

Yeah sure, we could draft a kid with that type of speed and maybe he has success. Maybe he doesnt.

Wallace has already had that success. Ted Ginn had 4.2 speed coming out of college. Did he produce like Wallace?

I'd rather go with the proven commodity at that position because there is a player out there that can fill it and address other positions through the draft because free agency doesn't have much to offer at those positions.

Quote:
The way I see our roster right now is we need several things. I'm going to assume we loose Long in free agency and re-sign the rest of our veteran free agents. So after Long departs, here is what I see as our shopping list in no particular order:
1 - Offensive Tackle (1)
2 - Offensive Guard (1)
4 - Speed Receiver (1)
6 - Free Safety (1)
8 - Linebacker Depth (1)

I addressed all those needs in my write up.

Quote:
We have exactly nine picks at this time if I'm not mistaken, ten if we get a compensatory for Long. So in my eyes, we can fill almost all of our areas of need through the draft this year.

No offense, but you're in LALA LAND if you think we're going to hit on 9 or 10 picks.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:36 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The draft is a crap shoot. If I were GM, before signing a player during FA I'd ask myself is he an upgrade? Wallece, Bowe and even Jennings is an upgrade. The latter has been injury prone, so not playing is not an upgrade. I would sign Wallace or offer some picks to ARZ for Fitz if he wants out. Use the draft for speed, speed, speed. Drafting OL has done nothing for us, same old same old. BTW, look at the Olineman on the SB teams. Found in either FA or later rds in the daft.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Drafting OL has done nothing for us, same old same old. BTW, look at the Olineman on the SB teams. Found in either FA or later rds in the daft.

Have heard many times its getting 5 Olman who can work together. If correct, then you can have 5 studs that cannot work as an unit & there still will be issues.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
I'm not really of the mindset that we go after any high priced free agents this year. We have the most picks in the draft. I think we're in a perfect place to build our roster through the draft and fill most of the areas of need we have.

We have the most picks in the draft, but its 9 picks, more than half of which are mid to late rounders. What is the probability that those mid to late rounders effectively fill the needs we have?

The answer to that question is very low. We need to hit on picks in the first three rounds, but after that you're picking longshots.

That means we may effectively fill about 2-3 positions through the draft. That's why you use free agency to supplement the draft.

The reason free agency usually doesn't work out is because you're overpaying for what someone has done with another team. But in the case of guys like Wallace and Vollmer, they are younger players who have yet to reach their prime.

Quote:
I mean seriously, how many free agent signings that we've made in the last five years outside of Wake, Starks, and Moore have really been difference makers for our team?

You forgot about Dansby and Reggie Bush.

You also forget how many players we've drafted versus how many have panned out.

The good teams don't put their eggs in one basket (draft versus free agency).

They use both.

Quote:
I agree that Wallace fits an area of need, but wouldn't you agree that we could draft some kid in the first three rounds with 4.3 speed that could do many of the same things as Wallace???

Yeah sure, we could draft a kid with that type of speed and maybe he has success. Maybe he doesnt.

Wallace has already had that success. Ted Ginn had 4.2 speed coming out of college. Did he produce like Wallace?

I'd rather go with the proven commodity at that position because there is a player out there that can fill it and address other positions through the draft because free agency doesn't have much to offer at those positions.

Quote:
1 - Offensive Tackle (1)
2 - Offensive Guard (1)
4 - Speed Receiver (1)
6 - Free Safety (1)
8 - Linebacker Depth (1)

I addressed all those needs in my write up.

Quote:
We have exactly nine picks at this time if I'm not mistaken, ten if we get a compensatory for Long. So in my eyes, we can fill almost all of our areas of need through the draft this year.

No offense, but you're in LALA LAND if you think we're going to hit on 9 or 10 picks.

I see what you're getting at and I agree that we cannot solve all of our problems with the draft alone. However, I do feel that we can solve the majority of our issues with the draft

If you look, three out of the nine needs I listed were depth guys, or guys we can get in the mid to late rounds. Even the safety position could be addressed with a mid round pick in my opinion. We just need someone to come in and compete with Chris Clemons.

Same goes for offensive guard. We just need someone to come in and push Jerry. I think Incognito is good enough for now and doesn't need to be replaced yet. But Jerry is suspect and could use some competition. I think we could find a nice guard in the 3rd or 4th round.

Now the other four needs (WRx2, CB, OT), I agree, it will be tough to hit on all of them. But we do have five picks in the first three rounds right now, potentially six picks if we get a high compensatory pick for Long.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention Dansby and Bush. I left Bush out because we traded for Bush, he wasn't a free agent. Dansby was a free agent, but we made him one of the highest paid middle linebackers in the NFL when we signed him. He's still one of the most expensive players on our roster. But I get what you're saying. Both guys are veteran leaders and both have had an impact.

Believe me brother, I'm not floating around in La La Land. I hear what you're saying. I have no issues with us looking for quality free agents. I just have an issue with us throwing a ton of money at guys who haven't proven they can produce in our system.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:09 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
I just have an issue with us throwing a ton of money at guys who haven't proven they can produce in our system.

Good teams make the system fit the talent when needed. And a guy like Wallace has rare talent that not everyone brings to the table. And it is more than about running a 4.3.

Anyone that knows anything about receiver play knows speed isn't the only thing that gets you open deep.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:50 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
I just have an issue with us throwing a ton of money at guys who haven't proven they can produce in our system.

Good teams make the system fit the talent when needed. And a guy like Wallace has rare talent that not everyone brings to the table. And it is more than about running a 4.3.

Anyone that knows anything about receiver play knows speed isn't the only thing that gets you open deep.

Would love to add Wallace to the mix, but I don't agree about giving him Larry Fitzgerald type of money.

We agree to disagree on the aspect.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:09 pm
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Great ideas.

could the GM also request that Miami get to leave the AFC for weaker division?

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Rare talent? While I agree the guy has talent, he's really just a speedster. The guy isn't a great rounte runner, he doesn't have great hands, he's just really fast. He's not even in the top ten receivers in the NFL in my opinion. Davone Bess and Brian Hartline both have more catches and yards this season than Wallace, so why on earth would we spend big $$$ on a receiver who is ranked 33rd in the NFL in yards, 27th in receptions, and his only redeeming stat is he's 7th in touchdowns with 8 (mainly due to a lack of targets on his team and who is throwing him the ball). As for his "big play" ability which I know you'll no doubt bring up, he has 7 catches of 20+ yards this year. Hartline and Bess both have 11 a piece. Honestly, I'd pass on the guy. He's a diva receiver. We've already made mistakes with similar players that were much more talented and they failed, I have no reason to believe this guy would be any different.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:41 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rare talent? While I agree the guy has talent, he's really just a speedster.

Top-line, sub 4.3 40 speed is a rare talent. :hithead:

Keep setting them up, I'll keep knocking them down.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:47 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
Davone Bess and Brian Hartline both have more catches and yards this season than Wallace, so why on earth would we spend big $$$ on a receiver who is ranked 33rd in the NFL in yards, 27th in receptions, and his only redeeming stat is he's 7th in touchdowns with 8 (mainly due to a lack of targets on his team and who is throwing him the ball).

I love how you downplay the importance of touchdowns.

I guess the point of offenses is to get a lot of yards... and touchdowns are just the icing on the cake...

Quote:
As for his "big play" ability which I know you'll no doubt bring up, he has 7 catches of 20+ yards this year.

That's because their offense has gone to more of a quick throw offense.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:50 am

phinsfansc wrote:
Would love to add Wallace to the mix, but I don't agree about giving him Larry Fitzgerald type of money.

We agree to disagree on the aspect.

That's fine, I just don't think you can look at the value of a player in a vacuum. You have to look at what that player's skillset brings to the team and in the case of our team, we need someone to back up that secondary to open up the run game and make playaction viable. We also need a player who on play action passes can blow the top off the defense.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I think people need to recognize that the values of Hartline, Bess and maybe even Fasano go up tremendously with a guy like Wallace. His speed and ability to get open and catch the ball (unlike a Ted Ginn or Clyde Gates) causes defenses to adjust and will open up a lot of space underneath.

People forget that this offense could move the ball between the 20s like it was simple pitch and catch when they had a good distraction in Marshall. Wallace offers that same bonus.

Sign Wallace, re-sign Hartline, and draft a tall Red Zone target. It should pay dividends.

Easier said than done though with Wallace as I think he'll look for a more competitive team that could desperately use his services.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 am

As for Wallace's statistical rankings... he was 11th in yards in 2011 and 5th in yards in 2010.

Keep setting them up WK...

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:58 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I think people need to recognize that the values of Hartline, Bess and maybe even Fasano go up tremendously with a guy like Wallace. His speed and ability to get open and catch the ball (unlike a Ted Ginn or Clyde Gates) causes defenses to adjust and will open up a lot of space underneath.

People forget that this offense could move the ball between the 20s like it was simple pitch and catch when they had a good distraction in Marshall. Wallace offers that same bonus.

Sign Wallace, re-sign Hartline, and draft a tall Red Zone target. It should pay dividends.

Easier said than done though with Wallace as I think he'll look for a more competitive team that could desperately use his services.

Dan, the Dolphins have been very competitive all year long with the exception of the Texans game the 1st game of the year and that abysmal performance against the Titans a few weeks ago.

As Rich has said, the Dolphins do certainly need a guy that can take the top off a defense and he is good in regards to YAC as well. I just disagree with Rich on paying this guy Larry Fitzgerald money.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:09 am

Well Tony, I'm actually confused as to where the Larry Fitzgerald type contract thing came from as the only thing I ever read is that Wallace wants Vincent Jackson-type money (5 years, $55 million). That's not the same as the 8 year, $120 million deal Fitz got.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next