View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Start #1:Jonathan Martin didn't make anyone forget Jake Long 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Start #1:Jonathan Martin didn't make anyone forget Jake Long
Armando Salguero wrote:
Rookie Jonathan Martin got off to a bad start, giving up a sack to Aldon Smith early on when the NFL's sack leader basically blew Martin up. Smith finished with two sacks against Martin and the Dolphins lineman also had a false start.

“It was decent," Martin said. "He got me on that one bull rush pretty good. There is a reason why he is one of the best pass rushers in the league. He is a good player. It is a really talented defense, talented d-line. It is a tough defense, we didn’t make enough plays to win the game.

“It is a learning experience. I like challenges like that, going against guys that are the best in the league. It took me a little while to get into it, but after a while I felt really comfortable out there."

Salguero reaction: It's his first game and it came against arguably the best pass rusher in the NFL. Martin did ok. He didn't make us forget about Jake Long. It was, indeed, a step back from Long. It'll be interesting to see how much Martin improves over the next three games. So far, he hasn't made anyone forget Long.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:24 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Start #1:Jonathan Martin didn't make anyone forget Jake Long
Armando Salguero wrote:
So far, he hasn't made anyone forget Long.

Except the already forming "Martin is the LT of the future" crowd. It already has one member. :)

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:35 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I have said it once and I will say it again. I would like to see Jake Long back, but he is not performing like a top 5 OLT. He is also showing an inability to stay healthy the last few years as well.

If Jake is looking for Joe Thomas money, then hell yeah, put me in that line that would give Martin a chance. Aldon Smith is not a scrub, he leads the NFL in sacks.

Martin definitely needs to improve and he definitely needs to get MUCH stronger. But the thought of paying Jake Long that type of money NOW in his career bothers me as well.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Armando Salguero wrote:

Except the already forming "Martin is the LT of the future" crowd. It already has one member. :)

Maybe people should start considering that neither may be the future. Martin could improve, but I'm not all that certain Long can ever be counted on again. Even if he ends up being a middle of the road guy its doesn't mean squat if he only plays 10-12 games per year before injury ends his season. What happens if Miami starts making playoff runs?

Sucks that once again the LT position is a huge question mark for the team.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Martin is a rookie and he was facing the best pass rusher in football, statistically speaking. Long has been a liability so far this year....and now on IR. Might as well evaluate the rookie and decide if we need to spend a really high pick for a LT....again.....or perhaps a lower pick for a RT.

Of course...maybe our O-line might have been better off using their bulk and size for traditional blocking schemes, instead of switching to a zone blocking scheme that requires athletic and mobile blockers. Martin is probably the only one on the team who actually might fit a zone blocking scheme. He needs to hit the weights though....

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Armando Salguero wrote:

Yep, I agree. Despite his struggles in that game, I thought he did good for a first start considering who he was going up against. I think he's a better option going forward than Long. Long is too costly and too injury prone.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the line played about as well as a line could against San Fran.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Armando Salguero wrote:

Yep, I agree. Despite his struggles in that game, I thought he did good for a first start considering who he was going up against. I think he's a better option going forward than Long. Long is too costly and too injury prone.

I think you quoted the wrong post...

And so far Martin seems to "sitting" prone. As in he winds up sitting on his rump way too often.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:55 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Martin is a rookie and he was facing the best pass rusher in football, statistically speaking. Long has been a liability so far this year....and now on IR. Might as well evaluate the rookie and decide if we need to spend a really high pick for a LT....again.....or perhaps a lower pick for a RT.

Of course...maybe our O-line might have been better off using their bulk and size for traditional blocking schemes, instead of switching to a zone blocking scheme that requires athletic and mobile blockers. Martin is probably the only one on the team who actually might fit a zone blocking scheme. He needs to hit the weights though....

This is exactly it. Martin was facing one of the best pass rushers in the game, and allowed one sack and four hurries. Not great but not too bad for a rookie trying to replace a Pro Bowler.

The next three games will tell this team whether or not to try to bring back Long. It will also be a negotiating edge for Long.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Martin was facing one of the best pass rushers in the game, and allowed one sack and four hurries. Not great but not too bad for a rookie trying to replace a Pro Bowler.

I think how he got beat is fresh in our minds. He was bull rushed and it was if he wasn't even there. Anyways, he didn't back down either and stood his ground.

Sun Sentinel

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]