View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 wide receiver Armon Binns claimed off waivers 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post wide receiver Armon Binns claimed off waivers
The waiver wire gave the Dolphins something to celebrate Monday evening when wide receiver Armon Binns was awarded to Miami off waivers from Cincinnati.

So why is a waiver transaction reason for a little celebration?

Well, the Dolphins got Binns ahead of the New England Patriots

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:48 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: wide receiver Armon Binns claimed off waivers
Binns means wins!!!

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:50 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

lol he runs a 4.5 40 and he's big, but he was waived, why?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

Pretty impressive to start the first 5 games then end up being cut. That's quick turnaround.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:05 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

He was a extra value meal ... great job Jeff...no need to draft a WR now.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Pretty impressive to start the first 5 games then end up being cut. That's quick turnaround.

Sounds like he was getting outplayed by some younger players. He was very productive at Cincinnatti, but hasn't been able to really translate that to the next level. He's the type of player we need though. Big, long armed, good leaper, etc. I think we should be able to find some playing time for this guy in redzone situations pretty quick if he's able to pick up the playbook.

The press clip on Rotoworld was pretty harsh on our receiver corps:
Quote:
Dolphins claimed WR Armon Binns off waivers from the Bengals.Binns was waived by the Bengals on Saturday. Although Binns went from starting five of the Bengals' first six games to on the street in less than two months, he should get immediate playing time in the Dolphins' unproductive and lead-footed receiver corps. However, he's not a threat to come into any value during the final two weeks of the fantasy playoffs. A second-year UDFA, Binns is still only 23 years old.
Dec 10 - 4:45 PM
Source: Joe Reedy on Twitter

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quotes from the Bengals board at Bengals.com:

Quote:
"Great guy, great attitude. Unfortunately I think his nickname should be Siamese......couldn't get separation."

"Binns wasnt that good, couldnt seperate, and couldnt get good position to make a catch."

"I sense some tension. More tension than Binns feels when running routes because he can never get seperation"

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Quotes from the Bengals board at Bengals.com:

Quote:
"Great guy, great attitude. Unfortunately I think his nickname should be Siamese......couldn't get separation."

"Binns wasnt that good, couldnt seperate, and couldnt get good position to make a catch."

"I sense some tension. More tension than Binns feels when running routes because he can never get seperation"

So he's another Roberto Wallace. Nice size/speed combo, but lacks ability to create seperation. Great!
:hithead:

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:32 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins claim WR Armon Binns
Quote:
Dolphins claim WR Armon Binns

Dolphins claimed WR Armon Binns off waivers from the Bengals.

Binns was waived by the Bengals on Saturday. Although Binns went from starting five of the Bengals' first six games to on the street in less than two months, he should get immediate playing time in the Dolphins' unproductive and lead-footed receiver corps. However, he's not a threat to come into any value during the final two weeks of the fantasy playoffs. A second-year UDFA, Binns is still only 23 years old.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50150904/ ... ayer_news/

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:48 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Dolphins claim WR Armon Binns
Some predraft info on Binns from last year.

Quote:
Height:6'3"
Weight:209 lbs.
40 Yard Dash4.53 sec

Overview
Binns has the frame, speed, and sticky hands required to become a starting NFL wide receiver. Additionally, awareness and ball skills will allow him to provide excellent depth as he matures in a starting role. Doesn't idle down when breaking as a route-runner and recognizes zone schemes but does not possess great explosiveness off the line or out of his breaks. Has some of the better hands in this class. Makes a lot of plays snatches balls out along the rim of his catch radius. Big play potential is there. Effort needs to be a littler more consistent. Binns is a Day 2 prospect.

Strengths
Binns has an above-average combination of size and speed. Doesn't lose speed at top of stem or in and out of his breaks. Capable of locating soft spots in zone coverage. Displays excellent hands. Plucks and snatches away from his frame and can make the tough catches; over-the-shoulder, poorly thrown balls, etc. Tough.

Weaknesses
Lacks great acceleration and burst and does not explode off the line or quickly eat up cushions. Can be disrupted by press coverage at the line. May have a more difficult time separating against man in the NFL. Sometimes runs at less than 100 percent when not primary receiver. Run-blocking effort is inconsistent.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/ ... 5446#tab=1

And this year's stats on him from Pro Football Focus and ESPN stats.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

There has to be more on Binns. I know he has separation issues, but he's only 23 and had won the starting job. Why give up on him so easily? He's a project, but there is some real potential here. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

He has as many TDs as each of our starting wideouts.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Red Zone jump ball guy?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
So he's another Roberto Wallace. Nice size/speed combo, but lacks ability to create seperation. Great!

Haha I was actually thinking the same thing when I was reading up on what other fans thought of him.

Ankle Weight Armon?

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:14 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

What a joke this position has become.. Seriously all I heard about was "High Powered Offense" then stick in a raw rookie with limited college exp, and give him 2 targets at WR...

Pathetic.. Will never understand it...

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Haha I was actually thinking the same thing when I was reading up on what other fans thought of him.

Ankle Weight Armon?

Maybe, we'll have to wait and see. It sounds like it wasn't a drop off in performance that cost him his spot. Rather it was the play of the other guys on their roster.

I just talked with my friend today who is a Cincy alum. He said Binns was extremely good his last two years in college. He was a big play guy with good height, hands, and jump ball skills. The quarterback would just throw it up and he'd go up and get it. But even my buddy said the knock on the guy was his lack of speed.

So based on what my buddy says this kid seems like he's quite a bit better than Wallace. But he struggles with some of the same issues Wallace did.

I'll say this. Nickname to be determined.
:grin:

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:12 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He needs more talent around him...lol I couldn't resist.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

Hahaha ......

wkloiber13 wrote:
It sounds like it wasn't a drop off in performance that cost him his spot. Rather it was the play of the other guys on their roster.

Ya, ya, ya ..... same story I heard about Anthony Armstrong.

He got cut because he wasn't "cutting it". Pure and simple. It's not like Cincy is loaded with talent at the WR core. They've unsuccessfully been trying to solidify the No.2 spot next to AJ Green. He's been carrying them the vast majority of the time.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Quote:
He got cut because he wasn't "cutting it". Pure and simple. It's not like Cincy is loaded with talent at the WR core. They've unsuccessfully been trying to solidify the No.2 spot next to AJ Green. He's been carrying them the vast majority of the time.

:) LOL , Rock - you saying Binns isn't a steal of a pickup & wont put us over the top? I shouldn't go out & buy a Binns jersey. It could hang next to my Artis Hicks jersey.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
:) LOL , Rock - you saying Binns isn't a steal of a pickup & wont put us over the top? I shouldn't go out & buy a Binns jersey. It could hang next to my Artis Hicks jersey.

Based on our little foray into free agency this year? That's a no. LOL

I mean for our sake I hope he turns into something, but I'm not going to hold my breath over it and try to spin this signing for anything more than it is ..... just more bottom of the roster crap. It's too late in the season for this guy to really get acclimated anyway.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:06 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:
It's not like Cincy is loaded with talent at the WR core. They've unsuccessfully been trying to solidify the No.2 spot next to AJ Green. He's been carrying them the vast majority of the time.

I figure the QB would just make those around him better, if Dalton just made better throws this guy would be a star... :pumpiron:

:ann0y: :fart:

LOL jk...
Just add him to the list of wastes of time and money spent trying to fill the spot left when they thought it was a good idea to trade the best WR...

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:21 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I shouldn't go out & buy a Binns jersey

I was on the Dolphins store site and I couldn't find one...weird.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Junkie is really high up on this kid, so does that mean anything?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Hahaha ......

wkloiber13 wrote:
It sounds like it wasn't a drop off in performance that cost him his spot. Rather it was the play of the other guys on their roster.

You're right, this kid is likely a major project, similar to someone like Wallace or Fuller. The sad thing is most media outlets seem to think he's an upgrade for us. Since we truly don't have a 3rd receiver at this point in the season it's basically going to be Matthews, Moore, and Binns battling it out for playing time across from Hartline. If this kid is able to see the field this week it will be very telling about the rest of the receivers on our roster.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

wkloiber13 wrote:
The sad thing is most media outlets seem to think he's an upgrade for us. Since we truly don't have a 3rd receiver at this point in the season it's basically going to be Matthews, Moore, and Binns battling it out for playing time across from Hartline. If this kid is able to see the field this week it will be very telling about the rest of the receivers on our roster.

2 guys who in 13 games have combined for 5 catches, a warm body is almost an upgrade from that..

Nothing sad about it really, except we are dolphins fans.. Its a reality, and if there are not big red whistels going off in Ross's head hes as dumb as dirt.. Ireland blew it on this one, start a rookie and only give him 2 WR's? Its suicide...

If Philbin was ok with Irelands moves he can go to for all I care...
"High Powered Offense" yeah right...

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Where is 7-11? :grin:

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:49 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Where is 7-11? :grin:

Buffalo's practice squad. :)

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
The sad thing is most media outlets seem to think he's an upgrade for us. Since we truly don't have a 3rd receiver at this point in the season it's basically going to be Matthews, Moore, and Binns battling it out for playing time across from Hartline. If this kid is able to see the field this week it will be very telling about the rest of the receivers on our roster.

2 guys who in 13 games have combined for 5 catches, a warm body is almost an upgrade from that..

Nothing sad about it really, except we are dolphins fans.. Its a reality, and if there are not big red whistels going off in Ross's head hes as dumb as dirt.. Ireland blew it on this one, start a rookie and only give him 2 WR's? Its suicide...

If Philbin was ok with Irelands moves he can go to for all I care...
"High Powered Offense" yeah right...

It's obvious even to the most ignorant fan that we lack playmakers outside the hash marks, yet there are some who would continue to say otherwise and point the finger at Tannehill for our 5-8 record.

I think our situation is one where we didn't want to overpay for anybody going into this season. Rather we wanted to get Tannehill's rookie year out of the way and then re-load next year when the draft and free agency are deep in receiver talent.

Ireland has already came out and said that getting Tannehill that top tier wideout is a top priority. I think he'll stick to his word and find some legitimate outside targets for Tannehill.

As much as I like Hartline, I think he's honestly at best a #3 receiver. As much as I like Bess, he doesn't belong outside the hash marks. In my eyes we need two more receivers, how we get those receivers (draft or free agency) I don't care, but we need to get them.

Tannehill will be looking to take the next step in his development, we need to make sure he has a target rich environment to help him along.

Two players I'd love to see wearing Aqua and Orange are Justin Hunt and Terrance Williams. If we could somehow snag those two we'd be in serious business.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

wkloiber13 wrote:

Ireland has already came out and said that getting Tannehill that top tier wideout is a top priority. I think he'll stick to his word and find some legitimate outside targets for Tannehill.

I definitely agree with you, but I think I lost my faith in him at this point.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:17 am

10acjed wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I definitely agree with you, but I think I lost my faith in him at this point.

Exactly right ...no talent , lacks the talent around him , other teams have surpassed us because they drafted better talent. its enough that its PC here (to a select few) to kiss Tannehills butt as he seems to have garnered that Shula / Marino status to some but anyone calling Ireland out is in good standing.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:38 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

FINesse wrote:
its enough that its PC here (to a select few) to kiss Tannehills butt as he seems to have garnered that Shula / Marino status to some but anyone calling Ireland out is in good standing.

I had Ireland back, he has just lost me this season, and its primarily the Marshall trade. Had he found 1 player to contribute I could have dealt with it. But a person would have to either have no clue about football, or just blind to not see there is a problem with having 3 WR's combine for 2300 yards one year, trade the one guy that had 1200 of them and expect the other two to carry the weight.. Just not good management. Tannehill is still going to have close to same passing yards to bess and hartline as moore did to all three, so tell me whats that mean if Marshall is still here? Maybe we are not such a glum lot arguing over a couple bad plays each week

I think I really expected a lot less from RT this season, given his limited college exp, new staff introducing a new offense. I just expected a rough year and maybe 5 - 6 wins..

I guess its also PC to a select few to expect Philbin/Tannehill to be just like Shula/Marino, and since we are not 12-4 heading into the post season his rookie year like they did we have failed and Tannehill is not the answer... Its a double edged sword really.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:12 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
FINesse wrote:
its enough that its PC here (to a select few) to kiss Tannehills butt as he seems to have garnered that Shula / Marino status to some but anyone calling Ireland out is in good standing.

I had Ireland back, he has just lost me this season, and its primarily the Marshall trade. Had he found 1 player to contribute I could have dealt with it. But a person would have to either have no clue about football, or just blind to not see there is a problem with having 3 WR's combine for 2300 yards one year, trade the one guy that had 1200 of them and expect the other two to carry the weight.. Just not good management. Tannehill is still going to have close to same passing yards to bess and hartline as moore did to all three, so tell me whats that mean if Marshall is still here? Maybe we are not such a glum lot arguing over a couple bad plays each week

I think I really expected a lot less from RT this season, given his limited college exp, new staff introducing a new offense. I just expected a rough year and maybe 5 - 6 wins..

I guess its also PC to a select few to expect Philbin/Tannehill to be just like Shula/Marino, and since we are not 12-4 heading into the post season his rookie year like they did we have failed and Tannehill is not the answer... Its a double edged sword really.

I was expecting 8-8. Even though I would love to see it, I just don't think it will happen at this point. I think reality is we'll finish 6-10 or 7-9. Bad enough to net us a good pick, but good enough to keep us away from the elite draft talent. We'll probably wind up with the 2nd best whatever we choose on the board. I'm nerviously optimistic about what we'll do with our picks. We've got a lot riding on the next draft.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Just saw an interview with Binns on MiamiDolphins.com. Sounds like he's pretty confident he can pick up the offense. When they asked him about the playbook he basically just shrugged off the question and called it simply just another West Coast offense with different terminology. He said he should have no trouble picking it up quickly. He also said he was out on the practice field today playing fast and while he did make a couple of mistakes he thinks he be able to reduce the errors and be able to play quickly. Sounds to me like a pretty confident kid who is hungry for another opportunity to play. It also sounds like he had one bad game in Cincinnatti and the coaching staff there used it as a spring board to start playing some of their new draft picks.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:21 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

..... and here I thought he'd say he played like crap in Cincy and will take a long time to pick up the offense in Miami.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:40 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

and here I thought he'd say he played like crap in Cincy and will take a long time to pick up the offense in Miami.

lol

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:20 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
"He's a guy that we had our eye on [and] thought he might be able to add something to the group and we'll see how that goes," coach Joe Philbin said.

Quote:
"It's a West Coast offense, so it's a lot of the same terminology. Maybe a few techniques are a little bit different, but it shouldn't be too hard to pick up," Binns said. "Different language, different signals. A lot of it is building that memory and getting used to seeing different things, then going out there and executing."

He's the only receiver on our roster with any kind of size at 6'3" and 215lbs. While I doubt he'll be able to contribute much this year, I'm hopeful he'll be someone our staff can work with long term and develop. But even then, having him on the roster shouldn't deter us from looking at multiple receivers on draft day. We still need a lot of help outside the hash marks.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
..... and here I thought he'd say he played like crap in Cincy and will take a long time to pick up the offense in Miami.

Quote:
"That's kind of how football is," said Binns, who started six games and caught 18 passes for 210 yards and one touchdown before the Bengals released him Saturday to make room for an extra kicker. "You've got to make the best of your opportunities."

The Bengals waived Binns after practice with the intent of re-signing him Monday. But the Dolphins and Patriots claimed the 6-foot-3, 210-pound receiver with sub.-4.5 speed. Miami was awarded Binns because they have a worse record.

Sounds like the Bengals took a gamble and lost a receiver. Contrary to earlier reports.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Sounds like the Bengals took a gamble and lost a receiver. Contrary to earlier reports.

They are currently carrying 5 receivers on the roster. What does it say about Binns that they'd even take the risk? We're talking to a guy who went from starting to cut. He can't remain in one of those 5 slots on a team that's literally got nothing outside of AJ Green? This is a team fighting for a playoff spot too.

Binns is a project.

Can we please stop finding ways to pump these bottom of the roster guys? I mean really.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Can we please stop finding ways to pump these bottom of the roster guys? I mean really.

Stop being so narrow minded!!! You know darn well our starting 3 WRs should be R. Wallace, Pruitt and Hogan.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Stop being so narrow minded!!! You know darn well our starting 3 WRs should be R. Wallace, Pruitt and Hogan.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next