View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:49 pm



Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp 
Author Message
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3290
Post The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
Quote:
One of the interesting side hobbies I've picked up in covering the Dolphins is reading the people I cover. (They read me, so I figure turn about is fair.) Seriously, I like to listen and observe how things are laid out and that often gives you greater hints about what is happening than what these folks are actually saying.

And even when the hints fail to paint a full picture of what is going on, it gives you an idea that something is going on.

....

And the Dolphins are making these veiled remarks suggesting there's some strategy about what's about to happen with these quarterbacks. They're talking like either trades, or cuts or draft picks are en route.

"I'm not gonna reveal my hand, but we do have four quarterbacks," Coach Tony Sparano said last week.

...
Again, I don't want to put barriers around them over there. We're going to let these guys play and see where we are. But we feel strongly about a couple of players at that position."

It is good the Dolphins feel strongly about a couple of players at the position. But they have four players at the position.
....
Sparano ruled out a switch in position for White at this time. The fact is he's never really played receiver, isn't exceedingly fast or big. The commitment has to be made for him succeeding or failing at one position before asking him to play another.

But it just seems like White has to take a giant leap to even salvage a roster spot in 2010.

Another issue is whether the Dolphins add a quarterback from the draft or as an undrafted free agent. Don't dismiss the possibility. It is real despite Miami having four quarterbacks on the roster.

And why is it such a tangible possibility?

Because I believe of the four quarterbacks currently on the roster, perhaps only two will be with the team when the regular-season begins.



http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... me-so.html

So I will speculate a little more. So what Pat White was brought in to do did not work out like they wanted. Did they see enough to determine that maybe he will not? If they cut trade enough to make room for another QB like Mando thinks then who would that be? Tim Tebow?

Ok go ahead and lay into me. lol. Not saying they definitly will or that is what I want. But not many saw the White pick coming. If it was Tebow that would also be what not many see coming. Maybe Miami thinks he can be what Pat White was not.


Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:12 am
Posts: 347
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
I agree Pat White is in no man's land right now as Qb on this team, but we can't possibly think of putting this guy at WR. LIke the article says, he's NEVER played receiver, he isn't particularly fast or big, and no one has any clue as to whether he can catch the ball. We need a project at receiver as much as we need one at QB..

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:20 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
fonzy wrote:
I agree Pat White is in no man's land right now as Qb on this team, but we can't possibly think of putting this guy at WR. LIke the article says, he's NEVER played receiver, he isn't particularly fast or big, and no one has any clue as to whether he can catch the ball. We need a project at receiver as much as we need one at QB..

Well, I don't believe Antwaan Randle El ever played receiver. I don't remember if Kordell Stewart did or not..

Isn't particularly fast or big? Who cares about how big. Randle El is smaller than White, and White ran a 4.42 shuttle time. His 4.55 40 is nothing blazing, but it's his quickness that makes him such a threat.

Now I'm not saying White will be successful at WR or necessarily has the tools, I'm just saying that he is not a quarterback and needs to find another role....
Besides, just because he's listed as WR doesn't mean he's going to line up as flanker and run the posts and dig routes...put him in the slot, throw him screens....put the players in positions where they can succeed the most. For the most part I thought this staff did that very well. But they definitely did not do that with Pat White.

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:07 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:39 pm
Posts: 226
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
i live close to philly, and the talk around here (sports radio) is that Miami is a wildcard in the McNabb fiasco. Just thought i would throw that out there.


Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:40 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 156
Location: Mexico City
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
Quote:
Because I believe of the four quarterbacks currently on the roster, perhaps only two will be with the team when the regular-season begins.


Yeah assuming White gets cut and Thigpen traded... Honestly its very simple... you assume responsibility for making a bust pick in round 2 and you move on.

No need to get rid of Thigpen...

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:22 pm
Profile
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 51
Location: Chillicothe Oh.
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
if tebow would fall to round 2 i wouldnt mind getting him & then trade white.but i do think white has potental if he would baulk up sum. & we all know that tebow would be perfect for the wildcat . does any 1 agree on that :stiffarm: TEBOW :jests:


Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:10 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
Project86JLL13 wrote:
i live close to philly, and the talk around here (sports radio) is that Miami is a wildcard in the McNabb fiasco. Just thought i would throw that out there.


I don't buy that for one second.

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:18 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:12 am
Posts: 347
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
Iowafin wrote:
fonzy wrote:
I agree Pat White is in no man's land right now as Qb on this team, but we can't possibly think of putting this guy at WR. LIke the article says, he's NEVER played receiver, he isn't particularly fast or big, and no one has any clue as to whether he can catch the ball. We need a project at receiver as much as we need one at QB..

Well, I don't believe Antwaan Randle El ever played receiver. I don't remember if Kordell Stewart did or not..

Isn't particularly fast or big? Who cares about how big. Randle El is smaller than White, and White ran a 4.42 shuttle time. His 4.55 40 is nothing blazing, but it's his quickness that makes him such a threat.

Now I'm not saying White will be successful at WR or necessarily has the tools, I'm just saying that he is not a quarterback and needs to find another role....
Besides, just because he's listed as WR doesn't mean he's going to line up as flanker and run the posts and dig routes...put him in the slot, throw him screens....put the players in positions where they can succeed the most. For the most part I thought this staff did that very well. But they definitely did not do that with Pat White.


I definitely agree that we need to figure something out with WHite because he is ot a QB right now, but I don't think the solution is to switch him to a position he's never playe dbecause a couple of other guys have been able to do it with moderate success.

Randle El has shown flashes, but he is not a consistent threat at receiver, and neither was Stewart or any of those guys. Also, he may not be bigger than White on paper, but White looks like a little kid out there. He got knocked out running the ball as a QB, what's gonna happen when he's catching screens on a regular basis?

He needs to get bigger and stronger like Josh Cribbs did when he first got into league, that is his only chance at being successful as a multi-threat guy.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:32 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
fonzy wrote:
Randle El has shown flashes, but he is not a consistent threat at receiver..


He was with the Steelers. And nobody is asking White to be a consistent threat at receiver...just an X factor that can come in and make a play. Personally, I'd let him go because I don't find him that valuable, but if the team thinks so...then utilize it elsewhere on the field like the Steelers did with Randle El. He was able to run reverses, catch some passes, and even a throw a TD in the Super Bowl.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:12 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3812
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
fonzy wrote:
got knocked out running the ball as a QB, what's gonna happen when he's catching screens on a regular basis?


Ok uhhh... I have to crack on guys bringing this point up, because if you watched that game you saw that the DBack didn't exactly get up from that hit either... it was a brutal hit practically out of bounds... Yes, White is small, but idk many people that woulda got up right away from that hit.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:01 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8943
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
If this was last year, then I have little doubt that Tebow would be the pick (over White). But being as we already have a 2nd rounder invested in White, and Tebow will likely be drafted before the 3rd round, I don't see us drafting Tebow. Now could we trade Thigpen or Penny, and Smiley by draft day? Yes. With those extra picks, we could move up into the 2nd round and take Tebow, but that seems as likely as Dan Marino coming back.
As for McNabb, I don't see any legs on that rumor. McNabb would not in any way fit our long term goals with Henne. Henne, I believe is the heir apparent for the Phins. If McNabb were brought in, he would likely win the starting job (as there is no way he would come in and agree to a backup role), therein delaying/stunting Henne's development.

The way I see it, White either fills the backup role, switches positions, or he is traded/cut. The most likely is a switch of positions the way I see it.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:12 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
IamPZ wrote:
fonzy wrote:
got knocked out running the ball as a QB, what's gonna happen when he's catching screens on a regular basis?


Ok uhhh... I have to crack on guys bringing this point up, because if you watched that game you saw that the DBack didn't exactly get up from that hit either... it was a brutal hit practically out of bounds... Yes, White is small, but idk many people that woulda got up right away from that hit.


The answer is nobody PZ. Whether you are 150 pounds, or 350 pounds, a blow to the head like that is going to knock you out.

To me, it is not the size that worries me; it is the tentativeness that he plays with. He has no idea what is going on. Whether you're a rookie or a 10 year vet, that's not good.

If we are going to continue with the WildPat, PatCat, WildWhite, WhiteCat, or whatever the hell you want to call it....could we at least see some runs to the OUTSIDE?? Man...Dan Henning could at least try to use White's athleticism.

To me, either give him a playbook of his own, or don't have him on the roster. It is just plain stupid for him to be running the same plays as Ronnie Brown.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:15 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8943
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
fonzy wrote:
got knocked out running the ball as a QB, what's gonna happen when he's catching screens on a regular basis?


Ok uhhh... I have to crack on guys bringing this point up, because if you watched that game you saw that the DBack didn't exactly get up from that hit either... it was a brutal hit practically out of bounds... Yes, White is small, but idk many people that woulda got up right away from that hit.


The answer is nobody PZ. Whether you are 150 pounds, or 350 pounds, a blow to the head like that is going to knock you out.

To me, it is not the size that worries me; it is the tentativeness that he plays with. He has no idea what is going on. Whether you're a rookie or a 10 year vet, that's not good.

If we are going to continue with the WildPat, PatCat, WildWhite, WhiteCat, or whatever the hell you want to call it....could we at least see some runs to the OUTSIDE?? Man...Dan Henning could at least try to use White's athleticism.

To me, either give him a playbook of his own, or don't have him on the roster. It is just plain stupid for him to be running the same plays as Ronnie Brown.

I have to agree with you here.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:17 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:12 am
Posts: 347
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
No, he shouldn't be running the same plays as Ronnie Brown because he doesn't have the strength for it, so how can you say that his size isn't an issue?

I'm not hating on White so much as arguing against the idea that we should just move him to WR, it really makes no sense.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:15 pm
Posts: 232
Location: Montereale Valcenilla, Italy
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
Not sure if WR is the best pos. I mean the kid has a really good arm, just needs to develop a little more accuracy. In that ATL game last year he overthrew Ginn by like 15 yards, and he is pretty fast.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: The Dolphins' mystery at quarterback sp
fonzy wrote:
No, he shouldn't be running the same plays as Ronnie Brown because he doesn't have the strength for it, so how can you say that his size isn't an issue?

I'm not hating on White so much as arguing against the idea that we should just move him to WR, it really makes no sense.


So moving Randle El to WR made no sense? Or Julian Edelman? Or Hines Ward? Or Josh Cribbs? Or Matt Jones?

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AFCMiamiEast, Google [Bot], swerve13 and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.