View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Drafting a WR 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Drafting a WR
Not sure there is anyone who doesn't think Miami goes after a WR in this draft. For a while I was convinced they would grab someone late in the draft but after giving it some more thought I bet they target someone earlier than you think.

Last year they drafted Pat Turner and Brian Hartline for obvious reasons. Turner was supposed to be the answer for the Ernest Wilford mistake, a big target to move the chains on 3rd down and make leaping grabs in the red zone for touchdowns. Hartline was the answer to the Camarillo uncertainty (coming off major surgery), a guy who ran great routes, had good hands, and offered a upside as a possession receiver. Miami thought they had their "chunk yardage" (hate that expression), #1 guy in Ted Ginn. He was supposed to take the next step so there wasn't a reason for them to go after a guy early (Nicks, Britt, Robiskie, etc.).

This year the story is different so I'm less likely to believe that Miami just targets someone late in the draft that can be developed. I think they have to look at someone who offers tremendous upside for Henne and someone who does what Ginn cannot. I'm not sleeping on Dez Bryant at #12 anymore. I think there is a very real and likely chance that he is drafted if available. I think the same goes for Arrelious Benn in Round 2 and its why Miami is doing their homework on Mike Williams. All potential homerun guys.

I think defense dominates the draft, but with only a few weeks until the big show, I'm becoming a believer that Miami makes a move through the draft to get a big play guy and I think it happens in the first 3 rounds. Don't be shocked if Mike Williams is selected early. Last year who would have thought White, Turner and Hartline would be Miami's 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:09 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Drafting a WR
I wouldn't mind having Mike Williams... but like I've said earlier... We're in much more need on defense and even on offense I would get a TE first.

For some reason I believe we're gonna "unleash" Pat Turner next season and Ginn will have a step up year since he got crushed with critics last season.

I would be "ok" if we get a WR but not in the first 3 rounds.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:37 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

People forget.. Hartline had a pretty darn good rookie season considering his playing time. He could blossom into a very good WR for us.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:04 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

hypocritex wrote:
People forget.. Hartline had a pretty darn good rookie season considering his playing time. He could blossom into a very good WR for us.

I think Miami is hoping for that. I think values are placed on guys to fit certain needs. Hartline fits the need of a good possession receiver who can still run some deep routes. Just like Bess is that guy who does a great job on short yardage and the hope is Turner becomes that big guy who makes a nice red zone target.

I agree with Dan that the draft will be dominated by defense, just have a feeling the brass will provide Henne with a playmaking target.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:34 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

At this point it is very difficult to gauge what receiver does what because of the older then dirt Offensive coordinator we have. Henning has always been a conservative play caller. Using a two tight end, i formation set when it's 3rd and 6+ doesn't exactly put the defense on their toes. I've also seen him come in with Haynos and Fasano split to one side on 3rd and 8+. IMHO I don't think we need to address the WR corps until we have a better passing scheme.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

finfan808 wrote:
At this point it is very difficult to gauge what receiver does what because of the older then dirt Offensive coordinator we have. Henning has always been a conservative play caller. Using a two tight end, i formation set when it's 3rd and 6+ doesn't exactly put the defense on their toes. I've also seen him come in with Haynos and Fasano split to one side on 3rd and 8+. IMHO I don't think we need to address the WR corps until we have a better passing scheme.
Good point. Not sure that we address a new OC, unless the FO gets him weapons and the O still has a terrible time getting up and down the field. But since our running game is probably gonna be pretty stout once again, it will probably make Henning look like a genius in the eyes of BP.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:19 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dan wrote:
I wouldn't mind having Mike Williams... but like I've said earlier... We're in much more need on defense and even on offense I would get a TE first.

For some reason I believe we're gonna "unleash" Pat Turner next season and Ginn will have a step up year since he got crushed with critics last season.

I would be "ok" if we get a WR but not in the first 3 rounds.

Miami most definitely will address defense heavily in this draft, and the Dolphins have 11 picks, so the majority of those picks will be used on defense.

As far as unleashing Pat Turner, the dude could not even get on the FIELD last year and the Dolphins desperately wanted to see him produce. Ted Ginn is a guy with a place on this team as he is the only vertical threat Miami has. Dan Henning needs to finally figure out what routes are best for Ginn and use him appropriately.

Anthony Fasano is a solid TE that took a step back, but TE will certainly be addressed and I can see the Dolphins taking Jimmy Graham in the 2nd or 3rd round.

But you certainly caught my attention with your willingness to take Mike Williams but don't want the Phins to consider Dez Bryant in the 1st round. I like Williams as a talent also, but this is a kid that QUIT on his team. Now I do believe he quit because he probably was in trouble academically, but still it would bother me alot more to have a dude quit on his team.

Bryant and Williams are probably the 2 most talented kids in this draft and both have maturity issues.

I can see Miami using 4 picks on the offensive side of the ball, definitely for WR, TE, and possibly a RB and a little depth on the OL.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:39 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Not against drafting a wr this year, but i hope its just not a huge investment (1st 2 rounds). Next year is the year of the receiver. AJ Green (UGA), Jolio Jones (Bama), Michael Floyd (ND), Jonathan Baldwin (Pitt), & DeVier Posey (OSU) are all draft eligible and are all first round talents.

They are also all at least 6'3" and are reported to each run in the 4.4 range. All of these guys have had big impacts on their teams since arriving at their respective college. Each of these receivers also come from "pro style" offenses, which might help the transition to the pro's.

I hope that next year at this time the phins have an opportunity at drafting AJ Green, but don't see it happening, as he may just be a top 5 pick and I think the phins will finish with a better record than a top 5 pick. Green seems fearless going over the middle and just so fluid catching the ball. I also like Jolio Jones, but he is most likely a top 10-15 talent. His problem is drops.

For this year, a late round talent that could probably be had for a 5th round pick or later is Stephen Williams. 6'5" 210# 4.4-40.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]