View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Sounds like Jake Long will no longer be a Miami Dolphin 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Sounds like Jake Long will no longer be a Miami Dolphin
per Adam Shefter

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... -long-walk

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Sounds like Jake Long will no longer be a Miami Dolphin
It's sad that this is what has come to pass ..... but Shefter is right, we cannot justify tagging him for $15.4 million. Praying Martin surprises me in the next four games to make the decision even easier.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree. I hope they can sign him to a team friendly short term deal. If not let him walk. That is way to much money to tie up on an under performing lineman. Especially on an offense that is starved for play makers. How many holes could Miami plug with that much money if they don't tie it up on a new contract for Long? But I do agree it is sad to see it come to this.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

i just don't think he fits this zone blocking scheme either. That has as much to do with letting him go than anything. We will have 3 new starting lineman, smaller faster guards too.

Last edited by swerve13 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:55 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Meanwhile Matt Ryan is leading the Falcons to the #1 seed in the NFC.... :hithead: QB is the most important position, so when you have the #1 overall pick, you use it on a QB.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Meanwhile Matt Ryan is leading the Falcons to the #1 seed in the NFC.... :hithead: QB is the most important position, so when you have the #1 overall pick, you use it on a QB.

I don't always agree with this, but it is usually true and in our case should have been true.

Shame about Jake, but not much of a surprise. It was easy to see this coming

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:10 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

bobby0112 wrote:
I agree. I hope they can sign him to a team friendly short term deal. If not let him walk. That is way to much money to tie up on an under performing lineman. Especially on an offense that is starved for play makers. How many holes could Miami plug with that much money if they don't tie it up on a new contract for Long? But I do agree it is sad to see it come to this.

Tom Condom is Jake's agent, so I am not sure if this is something that he would consider. It has to come from Jake and his wanting to stay with Miami.

I hope something can be worked out, but I doubt it.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:

Tom Condom is Jake's agent, so I am not sure if this is something that he would consider. It has to come from Jake and his wanting to stay with Miami.

I hope something can be worked out, but I doubt it.

Coming off yet another significant injury and declining play... He may not have other options. And he may want a shirt term deal so he can go out and prove himself then move back up to the big bucks

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:35 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Only Miami drafts a stud LT that breaks down in under 5 yrs. Pathetic. Long should have been a stud for at least 5 to 7 more yrs.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well at least we can console ourselves with the fact Matt Ryan has been struggling lately. It isn't stopping the Falcons from winning.....but he is struggling some.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
It's sad that this is what has come to pass ..... but Shefter is right, we cannot justify tagging him for $15.4 million. Praying Martin surprises me in the next four games to make the decision even easier.

I'm in the same boat. I'm hoping Martin can play solid these last four games and show enough to allow our staff to look for a right tackle in next years draft. Martin was a solid LT in college, and I have to admit that he looked the best he has all season when Long went down. Could be something to do with who he was going against. But we'll have to wait and see. This week against the 49ers is a perfect chance to see what the kid has. He'll get to see some pretty good pass rushers in Mario Williams and Justin Babin down the stretch as well. Should be a good chance to evaluate his future potential at LT.

As for Long, I too just can't see us tagging him at $15M. That would kill our cap space and limit our ability to keep rebuilding the roster. Giving him a long term deal is also pretty much out of the question considering his injury history and declining play as of late. I just can't see Long taking less than $10M a season. I know someone else is going to roll the dice on a perennial pro bowler. Guys like that just don't hit the market all that often. But hey, if we at least throw an offer out there we'll get a compensatory pick in return. Not that a 3rd round pick will replace Long, but it at least helps.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

right now Matt Ryan is in the same boat with Tony Romo. The zero-playoff-success boat. So we still have more to see. He has as many playoff wins as Tannehill right now and he's in his 5th year.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:24 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I'm hoping Martin can play solid these last four games and show enough to allow our staff to look for a right tackle in next years draft. Martin was a solid LT in college, and I have to admit that he looked the best he has all season when Long went down. Could be something to do with who he was going against. But we'll have to wait and see. This week against the 49ers is a perfect chance to see what the kid has. He'll get to see some pretty good pass rushers in Mario Williams and Justin Babin down the stretch as well. Should be a good chance to evaluate his future potential at LT.

As for Long, I too just can't see us tagging him at $15M. That would kill our cap space and limit our ability to keep rebuilding the roster. Giving him a long term deal is also pretty much out of the question considering his injury history and declining play as of late. I just can't see Long taking less than $10M a season. I know someone else is going to roll the dice on a perennial pro bowler. Guys like that just don't hit the market all that often. But hey, if we at least throw an offer out there we'll get a compensatory pick in return. Not that a 3rd round pick will replace Long, but it at least helps.

I just can't see anyone giving Long $10m a year. And therefore I don't imagine us getting much of a compensatory pick for him.

Also, we don't need to make him an offer to get a pick for him.

Just let the guy walk. It's a shame. But that is the way it is.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:51 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

0 playoff wins while still making the playoffs as opposed to looking at the following season's draft & free agents at week 12. I think I agree with the thought of with the new rookie scale I would draft a QB every season. That position is a franchise changer. An offensive lineman no matter how dominant does not change the fortunes of a team.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:35 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Only Miami drafts a stud LT that breaks down in under 5 yrs

lol

0 playoff wins while still making the playoffs as opposed to looking at the following season's draft & free agents at week 12. I think I agree with the thought of with the new rookie scale I would draft a QB every season. That position is a franchise changer. An offensive lineman no matter how dominant does not change the fortunes of a team.

100% agree Mitch. At least the Falcons are excited about Sundays and they are the #1 seed right now. I'll take that. I also agree about drafting a QB every year it is the 1 position that will turn a team around. You can also add DT, DE, DB, and LB that won't win game for you.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]