View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Miami Dolphins’ top defensive ends sit on critical Patriots 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Miami Dolphins’ top defensive ends sit on critical Patriots
Quote:
By Adam H. Beasley
abeasley@miamiherald.com

Down a score and in desperate need of a stop, the Dolphins picked a peculiar time to sit down both their top two defensive ends.

For much of the Patriots’ game-clinching, 16-play, 77-yard field-goal drive that sapped more than seven minutes off the fourth-quarter clock, Jared Odrick and Cameron Wake were on the bench.

Neither were injured.

Meanwhile, the Patriots, who couldn’t run the ball all afternoon, called 12 rushing plays on the possession and gained 53 yards.

“That was our best drive of the day,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. “We needed it.”

So what was Dolphin coach Joe Philbin’s rationale for using Olivier Vernon, Derrick Shelby and even linebacker Koa Misi at defensive end during the game’s deciding moments?

“They were running the ball,” Philbin said. “We have a play count that we want to keep guys to [in order] to keep guys fresh.”

Likewise, Odrick cited the Dolphins defensive line rotation when asked about his prolonged absence.

As for Wake’s response, it was a bit curt.

“I don’t know,” he said. “It was one of those questions for the coaches.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/03/3 ... rylink=cpy

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Miami Dolphins’ top defensive ends sit on critical Patriots
I remember Rich asking in game chat during that drive where Wake was. Odd time to rest your guys.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:48 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

In crunch time you want your best guys in. You don't sit Michael Jordan in the 4th quarter of a close game against the Knicks because you need to keep him fresh.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:54 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am a Knicks fan Rich. Looking back I wish Philbin was Jordan's coach!

I agree. Taking your money defensive players out during a critical end of the game???

Nothing Philbin can say can really justify that move unless the guys were hurt, which they were not.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Add to the fact that Bush was around 4.0-4.4 yrds per carry and Thomas was around 2, it's time to start questioning these guys.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:48 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Wow. No wonder the Patriots skipped down the field. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Dave Hyde wrote:
Second-guess of the day: Cameron Wake and Jared Odrick spent most of the Patriots' game-cementing drive on the sideline. I'm not sure what that was about. Tired? Strategy? New England took over with 8:28 left in the game and leading, 20-13. The Dolphins needed a stop to get the ball back. Rookies Derrick Shelby and Olivier Vernon replaced Wake and Odrick. New England ran eight plays, moved 50 yards and got a nice rhythm to the Dolphins 30. Then the Dolphins took a time-out with 4:15 left in the game and put Wake and Odrick. At that point, much of the damage was done.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 9935.story

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Can't say I agree with the move, but from what I remember those runs were straight up the gut and not around the ends. I'm not sure how much of an impact Odrick and Wake would have had, but I agree that they should have been out there.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

So why were end Cameron Wake, arguably their best defender, and the other No. 1 end, Jared Odrick, on the bench?

“It’s all about keeping guys fresh throughout the game,” defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle said Monday. “We didn’t play particularly well in that last drive, but that had nothing to do with who was in the game, in terms of the rotation.”

Coach Joe Philbin said Wake and Odrick were resting as part of the natural rotation, and that he “absolutely” stands by the decision not to have them in the game.

Coyle also dismissed the notion that the Patriots had success running the ball because Wake and Odrick were out, saying that Shelby and Vernon graded out positively on every snap of that drive. According to the official game book, five of the six runs were up the middle, and one was over the right tackle.

“They could not have done more than what those other guys were doing on the outside,” Coyle said of Wake and Odrick. “There were breakdowns throughout the drive, I’ll admit to that, but it wasn’t because of those guys being in the game.”

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... and/nTMBQ/

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]