View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 What should the Dolphins do at the LT position in 2013? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post What should the Dolphins do at the LT position in 2013?
I think we keep Jake Long and franchise him. It's expensive, but I have to believe that he isn't 100%. Also, if he doesn't get his mojo back next year we can use a first round pick in 2014 on a LT. The Dolphins will move backwards next year if we do not keep Jake Long, and there are some glaring holes to fill at WR and CB.

Quote:
Steve (Tampa)
Miami will have a ton of cap space next year. No doubt Jake Long is a possible target, but does Miami look elsewhere? They are in need of some WRs badly that can separate/dominate.

ESPN's James Walker
Here is the issue with Jake Long: Who do you replace him with? If you don't fork over a boatload of money to keep Long, you have to pay someone left tackle money. Is that player going to be better than Jake Long? I don't know. Maybe you can move Jonathan Martin over, but he looks too light to handle top-level DEs on the blindside. The draft is possible, but now you're plugging a rookie in there. It's a tough decision all around. This is why GM Jeff Ireland makes the big bucks.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... mes-walker

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:24 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: What should the Dolphins do at the LT position in 2013?
I agree Dave. I was on board with letting him walk but who is his replacement? Even if its Martin and they draft another tackle or sign a serviceable guy to replace Martin they will need to buy themselves time.

Use the Patriots' blueprint. They had Matt Light, drafted Volmer and then drafted Solder. I'm not saying that is panning out perfectly but the strategy is probably the most reasonable approach.

Remember the big contracts Miami gave to guys like McIntosh and Shelton a few years back? Don't want those mistakes again.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:17 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Franchising him is the right move. You spent the first overall pick on the guy, at the very least you try to get something for him rather than letting him walk. And the very worst, you pay him a big chunk of money for one more year with no long term commitment.

If he wants big money, the right move is to franchise him because he hasn't shown he deserves a long term commitment, but you guys are right, his replacement also isn't easy to find.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:42 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Also agree with franchising him. It's expensive, but they have the cap room to do it. Last thing you can do is invest big money into him long term.

GIve him 1 more year to prove he deserves it. If 2013 is the same story, time to move on.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Franchising him is the right move. You spent the first overall pick on the guy, at the very least you try to get something for him rather than letting him walk. And the very worst, you pay him a big chunk of money for one more year with no long term commitment.

If he wants big money, the right move is to franchise him because he hasn't shown he deserves a long term commitment, but you guys are right, his replacement also isn't easy to find.

I agree, use the non-exclusive franchise tag on the guy for now. Let him have another year to show he can fit in the new offense, or look for a trade partner willing to give up a couple of high picks we can use to replace him. If we could get a 1st and a 2nd for Long, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]