View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Dolphins run game looking run down of late 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Dolphins run game looking run down of late
Quote:

When Philbin was asked if the problem was the linemen opening the holes or the backs failing to see them, he replied “both,” then pointed out that the offense had five minus plays on runs last week, including a 5-yard loss on the second carry of the game.

“To me what kills the run game, first and foremost, is penetration, especially at the point of attack,” he said. “We’ve had a couple of those creep up along the way. I mean, can our backs, at times, read some holes better? Yeah, but it’s not like we’re watching tape and there are huge creases and we’re running (in) the opposite direction.”

While the league makes a big deal of third-down statistics, Philbin noted that success on first down is equally important. The Dolphins rank 25th in first-down yardage at 4.86 yards per play. They made only 26 yards on 16 first-down plays last week, a 1.6 average.

“Mike and I were talking about it at practice this morning, it seemed like every time we turned around (in Buffalo) it was second-and-12, second-and-14,” Philbin said. “It makes it tough (and) puts you in a tougher spot.”

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... ate/nTBB8/

:thinking: Hmm ... I wonder if there is another type of play we could run on 1st down besides the run when we see that trend? Hey Mike what is that other type of play we could call I don't seem to remember the name of it ...?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Dolphins run game looking run down of late
Quote:
Sherman said it's hard to play Lamar Miller because he envisioned getting 75-78 snaps per game, not 62.5:

"We’re not getting a whole lot of snaps in the game. If we were getting 65-70 snaps, which I envisioned, actually I envisioned 75-to-78 snaps, then I think there’s more snaps to be got. But when you’re not functioning like we’re not functioning, it’s hard to take a Reggie out or a guy that has experience, whether it’s Daniel Thomas out of the game. I really like Miller. I think he works hard at it. I think he’s going to be a very good player. I’m excited when he gets in the game. I have no problem when he is in the game. It’s just only one of those guys can play at a time usually.”

http://sulia.com/benvolinpbp/f/5328f691 ... b44c1985a4

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Dolphins run game looking run down of late
Add a 3rd reason too coach. You and Sherman being predictable.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]