View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 Why we should draft CJ Spiller 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Why we should draft CJ Spiller
He can score from 3 yards out, or 70 yards out. In the I formation, single back, shotgun, slot receiver, flanker, or Wildcat. He can score on punt returns and kick returns.
There's nothing he can't do, and I put together this video to showcase some of it.
Warning:music may be offensive.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jtfehr28

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:15 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Why we should draft CJ Spiller
Sick vid, and I love the background music to it.

He can certainly be a dynamic playmaker who can do multiple things for your team. Reminds me a lot of Reggie Bush, with probably a little more thump in his inside running.

Great vid.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

And after watching that, Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown can go fly a kite!

DRAFT SPILLER NOW!

Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:32 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Oh crap, for ONCE I agree with Iowa, this kid is a playmaker. Trade Ronnie and draft him.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

WOW :awe: ............I did not know the he was that strong as well as fast. Forget what i've said in the past. Draft Spiller now. That was an insane ridiculous highlight reel.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:46 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

dolphinjim wrote:
Oh crap, for ONCE I agree with Iowa, this kid is a playmaker. Trade Ronnie and draft him.

Be careful, when I suggested trading RB there was a mob with torches and pitchforks outside of my house.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:10 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Do you think in the market right now, would we be able to get a 1st and some for Ronnie?? Or is a 1st pushing it.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:21 am

Considering he is in a contract year, and he plays a position that is easy to find in the draft these days...Miami would not get more than a 2nd.

His value to us is way more than we could ever get in a trade scenario.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Wow that sucks. I guess there is no way of getting two first round picks this year. I have faith in the FO and i'll be happy with whom ever they select. But that is not gonna satisfy my new man crush on Spiller. The kid is insane.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:27 am

MIAcubano13 wrote:
Wow that sucks. I guess there is no way of getting two first round picks this year. I have faith in the FO and i'll be happy with whom ever they select. But that is not gonna satisfy my new man crush on Spiller. The kid is insane.

So was Darren McFadden in college. Hell...so was Ted Ginn.

CJ will be a valuable situational, maybe 8 touches a game, type of a player. I don't know if you can replace Ronnie with him though, in terms of him being THE guy.

I doubt this is a very "exciting" draft from Miami. I think there is a very good chance Miami trades down, gets a guy like Terrance Cody in the 20s, and continues to build in the front 7 in Day 2.

Obviously we all want to have that exciting draft where Miami gets all these playmakers offensively, and we turn into New Orleans....but that's not happening. Lol. Coach Sparano talked about it a couple days ago. Miami is a run first football team, and that philosophy won't change unless it has to.

I mean, if they feel that CJ is the next Adrian Peterson, (kind of looked like him on that kickoff return TD where he shook off 3 defenders), than he is the obvious choice. But unless they feel that way, Miami needs to concentrate on the front 7 in the first couple rounds.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
MIAcubano13 wrote:

I mean, if they feel that CJ is the next Adrian Peterson, (kind of looked like him on that kickoff return TD where he shook off 3 defenders), than he is the obvious choice. But unless they feel that way, Miami needs to concentrate on the front 7 in the first couple rounds.

I think that was the play that made me get hooked on him. If we trade down, that would be exciting for me as well, because it's more picks and players we get to bring in. I think there is alot of exciting players that will go in later rounds. Jimmy Graham had one hell of a pro day. That kid also excites me. This will be an interesting draft, I know we always draft a couple of players from schools im still trying to find, but there are alot of later round guys coming out of big time programs this year. So, Im curious as to what route the Phins go

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Or Miami could stick with this guy and address a real need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m2lMh9Z5DY

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:07 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

bobby0112 wrote:

Yeah... we could... if we wanted to keep relying on an injury prone RB...

Idk about you... but those stats aren't getting me excited... I'm sure I'll hear it from the "stats aren't everything" clan... but just take a look at Games Started.... where's the 16 game season?

To top it off... 2 receiving TD's in his career???

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:57 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

bobby0112 wrote:

When that guy is on the field and healthy, we all know what he can do. The problem is that Ronnie has been able to make it through an entire season 1 time during his NFL career.

For what it is worth, I think the Dolphins will address either OLB, WR or NT in the 1st round, areas of dire need. But if they were to take Spiller, I would not be disappointed. It's not like Miami is loaded with offensive, explosive playmakers.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:03 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

trade Ronnie for VJax and draft Spiller.

Still have williams, who carried the load quite well last year when ronnie went down.....and now with spiller there would be a multi skill position player that could be gamebreaker.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Project86JLL13 wrote:
trade Ronnie for VJax and draft Spiller.

Still have williams, who carried the load quite well last year when ronnie went down.....and now with spiller there would be a multi skill position player that could be gamebreaker.
Is that even a possibility. I thought SD wanted a 1 and 3 for him. Not sure if they would go for a one for one swap.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be upset if they take him. I think he and Ronnie would be a great 1, 2 punch.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:52 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I want Dez Bryant, but I would be happy with any player that could give us an explosive offensive weapon. Problem is, I think it is pretty obvious that we will be drafting linebackers and defensive tackles. Receiver and running back will be late round crap shoots....

Another year of mediocrity on offense.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:03 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I want Dez Bryant, but I would be happy with any player that could give us an explosive offensive weapon. Problem is, I think it is pretty obvious that we will be drafting linebackers and defensive tackles. Receiver and running back will be late round crap shoots....

Not if Ronnie stays healthy. We were putting up close to 30 points a game before he went down. If Ronnie could stay healthy.. I think you have to put him up there as one of the best in the game.

BTW, I never get tired of watching Ronnie run over that Raider DB into the end zone. RAWR.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:52 pm

hypocritex wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Not if Ronnie stays healthy. We were putting up close to 30 points a game before he went down. If Ronnie could stay healthy.. I think you have to put him up there as one of the best in the game.

BTW, I never get tired of watching Ronnie run over that Raider DB into the end zone. RAWR.

Let's not forget that Henne did throw for 300+ a few times... and he'll likely be better this year.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

Yeah... we could... if we wanted to keep relying on an injury prone RB...

Idk about you... but those stats aren't getting me excited... I'm sure I'll hear it from the "stats aren't everything" clan... but just take a look at Games Started.... where's the 16 game season?

To top it off... 2 receiving TD's in his career???
Well it took Thomas Jones 5 years to become a good running back though he did play one more full season in his first 5 years than Ronnie. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... neTh00.htm

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:33 am

Alex13 wrote:
Well it took Thomas Jones 5 years to become a good running back though he did play one more full season in his first 5 years than Ronnie. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... neTh00.htm

It's not that he's not a great RB when he's on the field... its that he's never on the field.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:06 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

i've been obsessing over this kid's highlight tapes for a few months now, when I watch film on him, words like "playmaker" "dynamic" "special" and "game-changer" always come to mind.

He seems to have the receiving skills that offer the diversity of a RB/WR hybrid.... like Percy Harvin with better ability to shed a tackle and take a handoff. I also see moments that remind me of Chris Johnson or Reggie Bush, but Spiller seems stronger and more powerful.

I know we have more pressing needs (WR, NT, FS, OLB, & G) but if the Tuna's regime feels like he is the Best Player Available when our pick comes, I certainly hope they do not hesitate to make Spiller a Miami Dolphin.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:50 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

That was an exciting highlight reel, DAMN!! :runwiththeball:
That boy has some boost on him, WOW! Love to see it, probably not gonna happen at 12... who knows. Good stuff though man! Thanks!

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:01 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

The idea of getting Spiller is really intriguing to say the least. If Spiller would be taken with the #12 pick it could really solve a lot of issues on the offensive side of the ball. Even more than most could imagine. He can split out and actually remove the TE from 5 wide sets. He can return punts and kicks, and not to mention let cobbs concentrate on special teams. 3rd down back is a given. In any case that is four roster spots that he just freed up for more DL and LB's. To me that in itself is the value of the pick.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfan808 wrote:
The idea of getting Spiller is really intriguing to say the least. If Spiller would be taken with the #12 pick it could really solve a lot of issues on the offensive side of the ball. Even more than most could imagine. He can split out and actually remove the TE from 5 wide sets. He can return punts and kicks, and not to mention let cobbs concentrate on special teams. 3rd down back is a given. In any case that is four roster spots that he just freed up for more DL and LB's. To me that in itself is the value of the pick.

Who would you remove from the team to free up those spots?

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Now, if you will, compare this to CJ Spiller.

I can't help but notice that Spiller looks twice as fast. Yes, Johnson is shifty, fast, powerful...but note how when Spiller finds a hole, NOBODY can get an angle on him.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:26 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Iowafin wrote:
finfan808 wrote:

Not removing anybody from the team but if one guy can manage to play 4 different spots then it gives more flexibility with the whole roster.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:02 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfan808 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
finfan808 wrote:

Not removing anybody from the team but if one guy can manage to play 4 different spots then it gives more flexibility with the whole roster.

How can add defensive players unless you get rid of offensive players?

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:27 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Instead of having a designated roster spot for KR or PR or ST or 5th WR. Adding one roster spot (Spiller) would free up 3 because he would be used as a multiple position guy. In other words we don't need to keep ginn if all he is going to be used for is KR. Because basically, Spiller can do so much more then Ginn.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfan808 wrote:
Instead of having a designated roster spot for KR or PR or ST or 5th WR. Adding one roster spot (Spiller) would free up 3 because he would be used as a multiple position guy. In other words we don't need to keep ginn if all he is going to be used for is KR. Because basically, Spiller can do so much more then Ginn.

Miami doesn't have those spots any way. 4 WRs, Bess returns punts, Ginn returns kicks...

So you're suggesting that Spiller would take Ginn's spot...not freeing up any spots, but replacing a spot, correct?

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:03 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

You might have to trade a running back away if you draft Spiller. Hilliard would be the lvp, but given long term, Hilliard has more value than RW. Ronnie is a logical choice being traded, but you may not get value for him due to his injury and the fact that he is a FA next year. Plus Hilliard plays great on special teams, which makes him a multipurpose player as well.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
You might have to trade a running back away if you draft Spiller. Hilliard would be the lvp, but given long term, Hilliard has more value than RW. Ronnie is a logical choice being traded, but you may not get value for him due to his injury and the fact that he is a FA next year. Plus Hilliard plays great on special teams, which makes him a multipurpose player as well.

I would trade Cobbs, let Williams retire when he wants and keep Brown, Spiller and Hilliard.

What sort of trade value does Cobbs have? I don't know, but certainly has some...Call up Spielman...he'd give away a 3rd for him. The Vikings lost Taylor in FA, and were outbid by the Jets for LT's services....Ol Rick traded a 3rd rounder for Lamar Gordon...
Who? Exactly.
What do you lose in Cobbs? An very serviceable player. Can catch, can occasionally run, good little X-factor.

Spiller is a better X-factor...add that to Cobbs coming off an ACL injury, and Cobbs is suddenly very expendable.

Can't afford to lose Ronnie I don't think. He's Deuce McCallister, Spiller is Bush, and Hilliard is Thomas....don't have a Colston, but Colston was a 7th rounder.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:58 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

So many opinions swayed by a highlight reel. I wonder if it is an accurate depiction of peoples actual talent? ;)

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I'm not a big fan of drafting a RB in the first round but the most impressive highlight is the over the shoulder catches downfield. Adds a whole new dimension. I guess I wouldn't be as upset by the pick if it materializes.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:55 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Iowafin wrote:
finfan808 wrote:

Miami doesn't have those spots any way. 4 WRs, Bess returns punts, Ginn returns kicks...

So you're suggesting that Spiller would take Ginn's spot...not freeing up any spots, but replacing a spot, correct?

Yes essentially. Just thought by having a multi-faceted guy that we wouldn't have to use roster spots for silly reasons(wildcat QB for instance).

I see that spiller has that big play potential, he has a better burst then Ginn, and He plays running back. IMHO we don't have a serious threat out of the backfield in the passing game. Screens, flat routes and bubbles could be a house party every time he touches the ball. I just think that this maybe our chance to get a chris johnson.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:10 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Yeah Spiller highlight film is nice but so was Reggie Bushes and yeah he has a ring now but it wasnt cause of him if Miami goes anywhere this season it will be because of Ronnie so if we can get Spiller and still have Ronnie be healthy :stiffarm: That would be a sight to see

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]