View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Miami 14, Buffalo 19 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Miami 14, Buffalo 19 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
The Good
Marcus Thigpen's kick return for a touchdown was a thing of beauty. The only truly nice play the Dolphins made all game.

The Bad
Let's start with Ryan Tannehill, who has hit a rough patch after a pretty good month of clean, efficient football. 5 interceptions in the past two games, the decision making is starting to go downhill a bit, especially trying to throw to Davone Bess on take offs and double moves, he is not that kind of player! Why is he even being asked to run those routes? Tannehill isn't being helped by his running game, his receivers or his offensive line, but the number one rule is that he has to avoid turnovers, especially with the style of football we have to play due to our lack of talent on offense.

The offensive line keeps getting worse each week. They can't run block against bad run defenses, they can't protect Tannehill against a 3 man rush. This unit SHOULD BE a strength with the only question mark being John Jerry. But Jake Long looks like a shell of the perennial Pro Bowler we've come to expect, Richie Incognito is downright terrible, Pouncey has been invisible up the middle, Jerry is nothing to right home about and Martin gets easily pushed back by bullrushers way too often.

The running backs hesitate too much. Bush is always looking for the killshot and winds up losing yards. Daniel Thomas's best move is running backwards because he is afraid of getting hit. These guys probably run that way because they know they aren't going to get good blocking, but still, you have to figure out a way to get positive yards.

The wide receivers and tight ends cannot beat man to man coverage, which is what the bills played almost exclusively the entire game.

Our vaunted run defense has now allowed two consecutive 100 yard rushers after going 22 consecutive games without allowing one. I'm seeing Paul Soliai get pushed around and the linebackers and defensive ends losing contain way too often. The front 7 of this team was supposed to be a strength, but all of a sudden they can't stop the run and we still only have one reliable pass rusher. Cam Wake needs help.

Our secondary keeps finding new ways to suck. One game, they can't cover anyone, the next game they get flagged at record pace. The only player making plays in the secondary is Reshad Jones.

Coaching - I have to lambast the coaching staff. From the vanilla playcalling to what appears to be a lack of motivation for these players, something is wrong here. This team was on a high early in the season but we've come back down to Earth in a bad way and the coaches don't seem to be getting through to the players. What is worse is that there appear to be no halftime adjustments, or at least ones that work. Yes, the defense played better in the 2nd half, but a lot of that had to do with the Bills going somewhat conservative in their playcalling. Yes, the offense had a touchdown in the 2nd half, but it was bound to happen after 28 drives without one. Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman are supposed to be offensive mind, but against one of the worst defenses in the NFL, they sucked.

The Ugly
This season and the direction it is taking. Early in the year, we were playing close competitive games against good teams and beating teams we were supposed to beat. Now we're getting dominated by bottom dwellers.

Not a good sign for the rest of the season.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:37 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Miami 14, Buffalo 19 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
You call it out in the bad, but Reshad Jones played his rear end off yesterday. Best game of the year for him.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:31 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think Wake belongs in the good as well. The guy never quits and he mad a huge play to give our pathetic offense a chance to win the game.

Carroll dropping an easy INT in the end zone deserves an ugly mention......

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:04 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

carroll wasnt even looking back for the ball most of the time and got flagged for it atleast once. I remember one of the plays where he just blatantly faceguarded his man and got flagged for it. I was like turn around turn around. Sure enough it was flagged. I could see everything that was going on from where i was sitting it was awesome sitting that close.Image

that's the beginning of the drive near the end where we started from our own 1.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Your write up says it all, a whole lot of bad and ugly, with very little good. While I'm a little discouraged by the way things are going the past two weeks, I'm still staying positive that our staff and players can get this thing back on track and win a few more games down the stretch.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

huffdawg115 wrote:
carroll wasnt even looking back for the ball most of the time and got flagged for it atleast once. I remember one of the plays where he just blatantly faceguarded his man and got flagged for it. I was like turn around turn around. Sure enough it was flagged.

Where the NFL has overruled things. A DB should be able to play the receiver without having to turn his head. Faceguarding use to not be that. The NFL has done such a disservice to DB these days its not even funny.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:19 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Nice job, Rich!

Rich wrote:
Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman are supposed to be offensive mind, but against one of the worst defenses in the NFL, they sucked.

To go halfway through the 3rd quarter before crossing the 50 yard line is very alarming as far as I am concerned. Horrible job by a coach who is supposed to be an offensive-minded wiz. I hope to never have to go through that again.

huffdawg115 wrote:
carroll wasnt even looking back for the ball most of the time

Sean Smith seems to be doing this as well and neither has a clue where the ball is in the air. I think they are fighting like mad trying to stay with the receiver.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

I thought that was Wilson but I could be wrong. Are we talking ab out the deflected pass?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:11 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

jammer wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

I thought that was Wilson but I could be wrong. Are we talking ab out the deflected pass?

Yeah that was Jimmy. He's another guy that has regressed significantly.

All that said, the defense played well in this game. I won't get on them at all.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:47 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Dphins4me wrote:
huffdawg115 wrote:
carroll wasnt even looking back for the ball most of the time and got flagged for it atleast once. I remember one of the plays where he just blatantly faceguarded his man and got flagged for it. I was like turn around turn around. Sure enough it was flagged.

Where the NFL has overruled things. A DB should be able to play the receiver without having to turn his head. Faceguarding use to not be that. The NFL has done such a disservice to DB these days its not even funny.

Yeah, I agree completely but it's a rule and the players should be aware of it more than they seem to be.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]