View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Richie Incognito benched for dirty play 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Richie Incognito benched for dirty play
Quote:
Richie Incognito again accused of playing dirty, admits he was dumb
by Michael David Smith

Last week, Dolphins guard Richie Incognito was voted the second-dirtiest player in the NFL by his peers, which he called a “badge of honor.” But after a dirty play got him penalized and benched on Sunday, Incognito admitted he had done something dumb.

Incognito picked up a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty for shoving Titans linebacker Colin McCarthy’s face into the turf, and McCarthy became the latest player to label Incognito dirty.

“That was kind of dirty,” McCarthy said, via the Sun-Sentinel. “Obviously he got flagged for it, which was nice to see. I don’t know what his intentions were, but that’s on him.”

McCarthy said he told Incognito he didn’t appreciate it.

“I just said it was dirty,” McCarthy said. “We’re trying to play football. Obviously, it was a stupid play. They had a first down on the play and that forced them into first and 25. It was a big play in the game, and we’ll take it.”

Incognito agreed with the “stupid” characterization.

“It was a dumb penalty,” Incognito said. “It definitely hurt the team. It pushed us out of points. It was a mistake on my part.”

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin benched Incognito for that mistake. And sitting on the bench is not a badge of honor.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -was-dumb/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Richie Incognito benched for dirty play
People are free to disagree with the coach on benching players, and I know that benching Bush and Richie was not a popular move with fans, but I suppor the coach on this one. Phillibin is trying to get these guys to play smart and value the team above their own ego. I can almost promise you that Joe was just itching for a chance to bench Richie after this comment this week about being a dirty player. Richie is eating a bit of crow today. Reggie also needs to step up his game. Before the fumble he was rather pedestrian since week 2. Outside of a rather awesome touchdown run against Indy, his numbers (and I know he suffered an injury in there) have been rather weak since week 2.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:27 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Good benching of Incognito. Sometimes he lets his mean streak take over. He probably would have been out longer but his backup isn't like putting Miller in for Reggie. He was punishing Tannihill, too.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Ok, still my favorite Dolphin, but a little reminder to keep that unmatched intensity and aggressiveness within the rules was definitely in order. As long as he doesn't try to fight the coach for it.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

That penalty cost us a 1st and 10 inside the redzone. We wound up getting a fieldgoal out of that drive when we possibly could have had a touchdown. We were starting to generate a little momentum on that drive, and it was still early in the game. I'm not saying that penalty would have swung the tide of the game, but it was very costly, moreso than the 15 yards we lost. It was a stupid selfish penalty by Incognito. I'm 100% behind Philbin for benching him.

Same goes for Bush. You can blab all you want about him being this huge weapon, but the bottom line is he took what should have been a 1st and 10 early in the game, and he coughed it up. Philbin understands that we aren't good enough to turn the ball over and still beat our opponents. He knows that this football team needs to play a clean game to win. That's why he was harsh on Bush and Incognito. I'm behind the coaches on this one. They saw two veteran players makes some stupid mistakes and they punished them. Was it the correct move? Yes if you want to establish a culture where players are held accountable and mistakes won't be tolerated.

For a long time we haven't had coaches that will hold players accountable. That isn't the case with our new staff and I like it.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:56 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

wkloiber13 wrote:
For a long time we haven't had coaches that will hold players accountable. That isn't the case with our new staff and I like it.

You hit it right on the head there. If a player knows he's gonna feel the coach's boot on his behind if he lets down, he aint gonna let down. You think even ONE PLAYER was scared of feeling that boot during the Wanny years?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]