View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Joe Philbin defends defense after 516-yard debacle at Indy 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Joe Philbin defends defense after 516-yard debacle at Indy
Quote:
by Brian Biggane
Coach Joe Philbin defended his defense Monday, a day after

“I have a lot of confidence in our defense,” Philbin said. “I like the way they play the game. Obviously, that wasn’t one of their finer performances. When you’re a really good football team, which we’re not yet, because our record states that, as [much] as our defensive guys are disappointed, they made a stop when they had to and we had the ball first and 10 on the 50-yard line with two and a half minutes to go.

“We didn’t play very well on defense, but you have to win those games. I’m not overly concerned about the yards. The points, entering the game I think we were fifth in the league in scoring defense. That’s not a bad collection of work for seven weeks, (and) 23 points I don’t think is going to drop them down to 10th.”

“Where do you want to start? I wish we could put out finger on one thing. We used multiple calls. We used zone. We used man. We spied. Again, I’m going to say they executed very, very well in that phase of the game, better than we did.

“It wasn’t always the pass rush. At times our discipline in our pass rush lanes wasn’t great. At times our coverage wasn’t very good. At times we maybe had some shots to get Luck down and we weren’t able to do that. Give him some credit. We have to do better. It wasn’t one thing. There were 19 third downs. There was enough (blame) to go around

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... e-at-indy/

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Joe Philbin defends defense after 516-yard debacle at Indy
Philbin isn't going to say much in a press conference, but you know he and Coyle lit them up.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:42 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

When you put it like that coach, you have a point. Then again, perhaps our defense heading into that game, was a bit overrated.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
Philbin isn't going to say much in a press conference, but you know he and Coyle lit them up.

That was an important game, and we blew it. We could have easily won that game, instead we faltered and they won. It was a close game and they came out on top. I think the two teams were very evenly matched and had that game been in Miami we probably would have been the one to come out on top by a fieldgoal. But now we're 4-4 and fighting to stay in the hunt.

Hopefully like you said the coaching staff calls everyone out and pushes them even harder because now we've really got to make a push if we want a chance at the playoffs.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:50 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

They blew it because they not only gave up 516 yards, but 12 third down conversions, some of which were over ten yards!!!! When you allow the opposing team's QB to throw like that after getting him into a third and long situation, your secondary flat out sucks.

Vontae Davis is gone, and I hope at the end of the year, they get rid of Sean Smith's big, dumb, uncoordinated a ss.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:46 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The Dolphins are young, learning new offensive and defensive schemes and in somewhat of a re-building/ tweaking mode. There are going to be days like last Sunday but I see a team that is growing and getting better. We are on the right track and I see fruitful years in our near future.

We are not Super Bowl contenders at this point and maybe not even playoff caliber. There are going to be setbacks, but there also needs to be progressive improvement. It is now important that this team comes out next Sunday and plays much better. It will be a major setback if this week is a re-play of last week especially on defense.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:21 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Let's just call Smith the "unnatural". Nobody pounds their chest better after a pass hits them in the back of the head or lower than 24.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]