View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Draft Day Trade 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Draft Day Trade
If this has already been posted I apologize. It is pure speculation, but an interesting thought.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... _dall.html

Not sure it would make sense for Dallas to make this move and I think it would require Miami adding something else to the deal (late round pick).

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:38 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Draft Day Trade
I think Miami would have to give up a little more than that. That would be an unbelievably good trade though.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:17 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

That won't happen... Dallas won't let Austin go... simple as that

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Dan wrote:
That won't happen... Dallas won't let Austin go... simple as that

Don't be so quick to say that. Dallas might not be able to sign Austin to a long term deal with plenty of guys needing new contracts/recently getting new deals. The Cowboys have to be careful how they spend their money, because, assuming there is a cap implemented again, they are going to be strapped for cash in 2011 and beyond.

They were un able to get Austin signed this off season, and I doubt they will when he is about to hit the unrestricted market next year. Could be like an Anquan Boldin situation...get what you can before you get nothing.

If Jerry Jones, which I would have a hard time believing he doesn't, likes Dez Bryant enough, he would make this sort of a deal. Again though, I do think Miami would have to throw in a little extra something.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm not sure Miami would have to add too much more to make it happen (the key component being Jones's willingness to move Austin). Your talking about jumping up 15 spots in the first round and I think even more in the third round. If Miami is willing to pay Austin a good sized deal then there could be something in the works. Jerry Jones seems to have his heart set on Roy Williams being a star in Dallas (kind of like the TO days). Match him up with Dez Bryant and Jones is probably very excited.

If Miami were to net a 5th rounder for Smiley I think that plus the dramatic jump in draft position would be enough. If you want to look at it player for player then Miami would be moving Dez Bryant, a late round pick, and its 3rd round pick for Miles Austin and Dallas's 3rd round pick.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

what pick does Dallas have in the first. If a deal like this went down, what is the pool of players u guys think we would be looking at? i mean Miles Austin is a beast and will help out our WR tremendously.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:29 am

MIAcubano13 wrote:
what pick does Dallas have in the first. If a deal like this went down, what is the pool of players u guys think we would be looking at? i mean Miles Austin is a beast and will help out our WR tremendously.

Dallas has pick 27, so you would probably be looking at a guy like Terrance Cody, maybe a FS as there is good value late in the first round for a safety. Maybe a WR like Thomas or Benn. Jerry Hughes is also an option there.

If you want a playmaker at RB, how about Jahvid Best at 27? Also out of Cal, he's this year's Desean Jackson, except in the backfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMORdRpg54Y

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dallas has the 27th pick.

I still highly doubt this would ever happen. I can remember a couple years ago when everyone was hoping Jones would trade up and take McFadden #1 overall.

If you want more realistic, Jones's coaches convince him to dump Roy Williams's awful contract and they draft Golden Tate or Arrelious Benn at 27 (if they are that set on getting a WR).

If the trade did go down, Miami is probably looking at best available LBs and S.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:49 am

2009 was certainly Austins breakout season but before that he was barely average. If the deal is made , hope he is not a 1 year wonder , especially coming into a new system.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:56 am

FINesse wrote:
2009 was certainly Austins breakout season but before that he was barely average. If the deal is made , hope he is not a 1 year wonder , especially coming into a new system.

I wouldn't call it a one year wonder as much as him finally getting a chance.

He was undrafted in 2006 and I believe was on the practice squad the whole year. Than in 2007, played behind Crayton, TO, etc. and the same in 2008, as they also brought in Roy Williams. He still managed to get some production.

He finally got a chance to start last season, and had the break out year. But I would say it took him that long because of how raw he was coming out of college, and the fact he didn't really get a chance playing behind all those guys.

Jammer, I agree that would be the better option for Dallas. But from Jerry Jones' standpoint, they've got such talent, why not go for it all with Dez and take that risk? They probably won't be able to resign Austin anyway.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:03 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Jammer, I agree that would be the better option for Dallas. But from Jerry Jones' standpoint, they've got such talent, why not go for it all with Dez and take that risk? They probably won't be able to resign Austin anyway.

I would think they'd have a better shot of going for it all by keeping the veteran receiver, not chancing it on a guy who may need a couple of years to develop.

Resigning Austin will be tough if they go back to a salary cap.

I dont want to blow this too far out of proportion. Its the speculation of a writer.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:28 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

That would be great if it did happen but I think it is wishful thinking from a Phins perspective.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:41 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What are the chances we pull a Patsie and trade completley out of the first and stockpile some 2nd's?

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:51 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

not a snowball's chance in hell that we trade out of the first round in this draft.....Everyone knows this is a deep draft class and I doubt anyone is dumb enough to make that kind of deal with us.

.....now, if you are talking about a team willing to swap 1st round picks with a player trade thrown in.....that might happen.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:10 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

No way I want this trade to go through. Austin is not worth a 12th over-all! There could be so many more options at WR at that time in the draft. Miles isn't what you would call proven anyway. He had one good season. I'd give a 3rd round pick for him though :yay:

Our future is only as strong as the weakness we come from.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:11 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Prime wrote:
No way I want this trade to go through. Austin is not worth a 12th over-all! There could be so many more options at WR at that time in the draft. Miles isn't what you would call proven anyway. He had one good season. I'd give a 3rd round pick for him though :yay:

Its not the 12th overall pick straight up for Austin.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]