View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Micah Johnson.... 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Micah Johnson....
would hopefully be taken if he's available in rounds 5 or later. I understand we don't have a 5th pick but I think we will have one come draft day.

Micah Johnson

Height: 6'1 1/2" / Weight: 258
40: 5.01 / Arm: 32" / Bench Reps: 31

Micah Johnson played the Mike linebacker in Kentucky's 4-3 defensive scheme. Micah was slotted as a strong side DE coming out of high school, but Kentucky refused to move him to that spot even in 2006 when we could have really used him there. UK wanted him as a linebacker, and that's where he stayed.

Johnson is a strong, versatile body who is extremely powerful stopping the run. He was able to handle most SEC tailbacks inside with ease due to his size and strength, and he is a determined player with a terrific motor that doesn't seem to have an off switch. Johnson was the leading tackler for the Wildcats in tackles per game in 2008 and 2009, both seasons averaging over 8/game, and was 8th and 5th in the SEC in 2008 and 2009 respectively. Johnson led the Wildcats in tackles for loss in 2008 and was 4th on the team in the same stat in 2009. Was also a 2-time second team all-SEC selection.

Johnson performed poorly at the combine, but much better at the recent UK Pro Day.

Pros:
Powerful body that can fend off tacklers and fill the gaps reliably and he reads plays very well. He is tough, resilient, and finishes tackles. Johnson is not particularly fast for an inside linebacker, but he is very good at finding the shortest path to maximum effectiveness. Johnson hits extremely hard, and very few backs can break away from his strength, even if they aren't dropped by his thunderous initial contact.

Cons:
Micah Johnson can blow hot and cold, and sometimes had a tendency to disappear for parts of a game when you would figure his name would get called a lot. He doesn't have great lateral speed, and doesn't change directions particularly well. His speed is adequate, but not remarkable. He has a somewhat limited range and his lack of lateral speed makes him less than totally effective in the open field.

Injuries:
Johnson is still recovering from a knee injury suffered in the 2009 Music City Bowl, but is expected to fully recover.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:31 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Micah Johnson....
I had Micah Johnson in my mock draft a month ago in the 6th round to Miami. He a physical thumper at ILB and he has the size the trifecta likes.

The knee injury obviously hurt his stock, as it occured in the bowl game loss to Clemson, and then he ran a 4.99 at the combine, which really hurt. He ran a 4.86 at his pro day, and that will help, but I still believe he will go in the 5th-6th round range.

Phins Rock thinks he goes much earlier, but he was not as productive a player as Brandon Spikes and his stock is now plummeted to the 3-4 round because he rand a 4.98 and 5.03 and the Florida Pro Day. I don't see Micah going before Spikes.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:56 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Micah Johnson....
I don't see him going before Spikes either, however, I do think he should. To me, he is the 2nd best ILB in this draft, (3rd if you include Weatherspoon as an ILB).

He's everything that you could want in a LB. I think had it not been for the injury, and the fact that he played for Kentucky, he's a late first round pick. I see him as a 1st round caliber player, and I would not wait until round 5 to get him. I say snatch him up right away in Day 3. Maybe even round 3, as the Patriots are certainly going to make him a target around that spot.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]