View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Miami Dolphins By The Numbers: Bye Week Breakdown 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Miami Dolphins By The Numbers: Bye Week Breakdown
Quote:
By Omar Kelly Sun Sentinel
9:34 a.m. EDT, October 18, 2012

I keep trying to explain that this THEORY the Dolphins' secondary being the team's weak link is fiction, but nobody seems to be paying attention.
The only reason the Dolphins have allowed 1,818 passing yards is because nobody (with the exception of St. Louis) has been able to run the ball effectively on Miami, which is second in the NFL defending the run (3.3 yards per carry).
What's my proof?
The completion percentage for the six opponents the Dolphins have faced is 57.5 percent. That might seem like a lot, but only four teams (Eagles, Texans, Cardinals and the New York Jets) have a lower completion percentage than Miami.
Only the Redskins have had more passes (163) attempted on their defense than the Dolphins (146).
The Dolphins defense has the NFL's eighth best quarterback rating from the opposition (77.5)....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 8377.story

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Miami Dolphins By The Numbers: Bye Week Breakdown
I think what gets fans riled up is the big plays the Dolphin's secondary continues to give up and the way every team seems to come back on us in the 4th. The secondary certainly does not hold all the blame, turnovers have cost us, but when you give up a 4th & 12 to Arizona in the last seconds and allow the Rams to get a crucial 2 pointer, there are going to be critics.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:00 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

How I see this whole scenario is this. The secondary is just a bit slow but they are put in positions to stop the td's on big plays from scoring. When the field is shorter, speed is not a factor. The opposition is the forced to run the ball and that is our strength. When they try to throw they are forced to wait for some separation between the receiver and our defender. When this doesn't happen, sack or incomplete. 4th and 1.

The qb and offense is young and inexperienced. So we have to bit more conservative to not give away the game. At the same time the opposition is throwing every trick in the book at him. Conversely when the opposition gets the ball, they take risks to score because they are down. These plays will work often as not but are risky plays.

On the whole the team is getting just a little better each and every week. We are 2 field goals from 5-1. We have had one bad quarter of football this season against a very strong team. And that was the first game of the season.

That is how I see the team this year so far. Future success will happen with the short window of time that these players have in the NFL, draft picks and free agents.

Overall, I am fairly happy with the Phins this year. The fans are in a more upbeat mood as well. We don't just suck overall anymore.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:16 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Welcome to the boards.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]