View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Aside from Pouncey, Miami's OL plays poorly vs Rams 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Aside from Pouncey, Miami's OL plays poorly vs Rams
It's hard to run when the defense is making penetration.

Quote:
Center Mike Pouncey (+2.5) has been stellar all year, and this game was no different. Although he gave up a hit (just his second pressure all season), his run blocking was in fine form. Still, one man can’t block an entire defense, and Pouncey was let down by the play around him. Jonathan Martin, Richie Incognito and the aforementioned John Jerry frequently allowed the defensive line to redirect the runner and combined for a -4.7 grade with their run blocking. The trio didn’t help themselves out much by committing four penalties. Even Jake Long was flagged for a pair of penalties, on consecutive plays no less, which marred an otherwise good day from the perennial Pro Bowler.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ns-week-6/

Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:53 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Aside from Pouncey, Miami's OL plays poorly vs Rams
I'm starting to doubt Long will be back next year. Not sure the Dolphins will be willing to payout what he maybe demanding.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:29 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

yeah what the hell happened to Long man? He was a monster his first year and now he gets pushed around like he isn't 700 lbs.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The zone blocking scheme doesn't seem to fit him. He's more like a Sumo Wrestler whose best suited lining up one on one. I don't want to lose him, but I'm thinking another team, with a more traditional blocking scheme, will be willing to pony up much more $$ than we are.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:55 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hopefully we run into a situation where Jake wants to stay in Miami, and he's willing to take a contract that is fair to both the Dolphins and him. Long isn't the same dominant LT he was a few years ago. He's got a few kinks in the armour. That said, if we could lock him down for the next five years for under $10M a season, or right around $10M, that would be a nice deal.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
Hopefully we run into a situation where Jake wants to stay in Miami, and he's willing to take a contract that is fair to both the Dolphins and him. Long isn't the same dominant LT he was a few years ago. He's got a few kinks in the armour. That said, if we could lock him down for the next five years for under $10M a season, or right around $10M, that would be a nice deal.

I think if we pay him $10 mil/year, we're paying him for what he's done as opposed to what we expect him to do the next five years. He's no longer a Pro-Bowl LT...........that said, I think some team will offer him a big contract that we wont be willing to match.

Again, I don't want to lose him, but it doesn't make sense for us to give him that much $$$.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I see him going to New York with the rest of the Par-Spars

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:55 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

The guy suffers a severely sprained knee last day of preseason and the buzzards circle.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:43 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
The guy suffers a severely sprained knee last day of preseason and the buzzards circle.

Nah, that's not it.............I wish all of our players were as tough as Long. The knee injury was on Aug 27th, almost 2 weeks before the Houston Game.....that shouldn't be an issue now. He's not playing as well as he used to. Maybe it's the beating he's taken through his career, maybe it's the zone blocking system..........but if he doesn't turn it around, I don't see Philbin/Ireland shelling out huge $$ to keep him.

Don't forget, Johnathan Martin's natural position is LT. They may rotate him and pick up another top level OL.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:39 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

shularino wrote:
Don't forget, Johnathan Martin's natural position is LT. They may rotate him and pick up another top level OL.

Jonathan Martin has held up decently at the RT position, but I still think there will be a big drop off between Long and Martin if Martin were to move to the left side. Martin hasn't exactly lit up the NFL facing the lessor pass rusher. I am pleased with his improvements since the preseason though.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/b ... numgames=1

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So, after 6 games, here are the stats on all tackles taken in the first two rounds of our last draft (which is why Martin drops in this list). Let's keep in mind that stats do not tell the full story as the Dolphins offensive scheme is very demanding of its linemen.

The Dolphins do have draft picks, but they really do not have a LT to take over for Jake Long. I cannot see the Dolphins franchising him as he will cost the Dolphins a whopping $15.36 million next year which is 120 percent his 2012 cap number of $12.8 million.

Decisions, decisions ...

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:48 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

It's going to interesting how much the team improves(o-line) over the bye week....It should be a time when things really start to gel after all the new coaching changes and system changes the team has gone through in a short time.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]