View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 ESPN Week 6 Knee-Jerk Reaction: The Dolphins are Back! 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post ESPN Week 6 Knee-Jerk Reaction: The Dolphins are Back!
ESPN wrote:
Knee-jerk reaction
The Dolphins are back! Two straight wins make us the AFC East favorites.

Reality or not?
That's a stretch, but Miami does look promising. The Dolphins have potential but not enough to win the division.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... -reactions

ESPN wrote:
Sizing up the Dolphins

Reason for hope: The overachieving Dolphins are the hottest team in AFC East. They have won two in a row and have been in every game since a Week 1 loss to the Houston Texans. The Dolphins are tough to beat because they can run the ball and stop the run. That frustrates opponents. Miami rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill looks legit. He’s getting better every week and has the ability to make all the throws. Tannehill also has the even-keeled mentality that you want from a quarterback. If Tannehill continue to improves, so will the Dolphins. This is a dangerous team to keep an eye on in the second half of the season. The arrow certainly is pointing up in Miami.

Reason for concern: Miami has been fortunate with injuries thus far. But this team severely lacks depth behind the starters. A few big injuries just about anywhere on the roster (offensive line, linebacker, secondary, wide receiver) could really derail the Dolphins. The pass defense is 27th in the NFL and allows too many big plays. Four of Miami’s six opposing quarterbacks have thrown for 300 yards or more this season. You also wonder if Tannehill will hit a rookie wall at any point. Tannehill, like most rookies, could have a few bad games in a row that will make it tough for Miami to win. But it’s so far, so good for the rookie quarterback.

Playoffs chances: 40 percent

Chances to win AFC East: 10 percent

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... e-afc-east

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: ESPN Week 6 Knee-Jerk Reaction: The Dolphins are Back!
Quote:
This is a dangerous team to keep an eye on in the second half of the season

This is what a lot of people have been saying for a while now. That after the bye week this would be a much better and much more dangerous team. We're definitely headed in the right direction, and had it not been for a couple of bad fieldgoal kicks we could be 4-2 or 5-1 right now. I know that's what they're thinking in the Dolphins lockerroom right now.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The team is improving in a lot of areas and things just feel much more positive at this point. However, put it all in perspective.....we just beat the Rams. Not a top NFL team by any means.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
The team is improving in a lot of areas and things just feel much more positive at this point. However, put it all in perspective.....we just beat the Rams. Not a top NFL team by any means.

But the Rams too are a much improved football team with a solid new head coach with a lot of experience. Also, the Bengals were considered a fairly good football team before we beat them. Last year they were in the playoffs. So while we aren't beating the top teams in the NFL, we are still hanging tough with and beating some of the better middle of the pack clubs.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:24 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

The Rams are not an elite team for sure, but Jeff Fisher has them competitive and the Dolphins were able to win that game playing an inferior game.

The team still has holes to fill and in the end, I don't expect them to make the playoffs. Still, I am very impressed with Joe Philbin and this staff and what they have done with this young team.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:47 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The national media is starting to take notice.

Pete Prisco wrote:
You have to love the fight in this team. That defense is impressive. Don't look now, but they're in the playoff race.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2057 ... eep-it/rss

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:12 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Either finish 5-11 and miss the playoffs or go 10-6 and make em. I just don't want 8-8 and no playoffs... Can't stand picking 16th or 17th AND having no playoffs to show for it.

This team needs a legit No. 1 receiver, among other things and that won't be found in the middle part of the round. Of course, if this team can make a playoff run, we can worry about the draft in March and April.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't buy the arguement we are any less deep than any other team, the Defense is deep in almost every position, we're deep at running back, our WR and tightends aren't the best, so I think we can play around injuries there. The OL got beat up last week, but has played well this season. Sure if Pouncy or Long were to go down, there would be issues...........but that would be the case for any other team.

This year the NFL is the most evenly matched than I can remember, especially in the AFC. What makes the Dolphins special is they are winning with a Rookie QB and the 4th yougest team in the NFL...........the future looks bright.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:49 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The only thing I am worried about is, remember Tony S's second year compared to his first. It seemed like he lost all the faith and hard playing which is weird cause they won the division!

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Haha wrote:
The only thing I am worried about is, remember Tony S's second year compared to his first. It seemed like he lost all the faith and hard playing which is weird cause they won the division!

I don't see much comparison between Philbin and Sporano. In Sporano's first year, Parcells was much more hands on, off the field he was the head of that coaching staff. Plus we lucked out with Pennington, his veteran leadership and game management propelled that team.

Philbin is much more the strategist and the coaching staff adapts to what's happening in the game. Sporano depended on statistical odds and an overly conservative approach to call the game.

The biggest difference is the Team, after Pennington went down, our QB play was poor under Sporano. Philbin has a very good young QB, the 4th yongest team in the NFL, 5 draft picks in the first three rounds, and a ton of cap space to bring in FAs. This team should be considerably better next year and beyond.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
I don't buy the arguement we are any less deep than any other team, the Defense is deep in almost every position, we're deep at running back, our WR and tightends aren't the best, so I think we can play around injuries there. The OL got beat up last week, but has played well this season. Sure if Pouncy or Long were to go down, there would be issues...........but that would be the case for any other team.

This year the NFL is the most evenly matched than I can remember, especially in the AFC. What makes the Dolphins special is they are winning with a Rookie QB and the 4th yougest team in the NFL...........the future looks bright.

We're most definitely not deep at S, LB, OL, TE, and WR.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This team lacks depth at many positions and no doubt will have it's setbacks this year. However, our stock is rising and I look forward to the moves they make in the offseason to fill in some of the holes. I think Ireland whiffed on some picks this year, but he hit on some too (it's looking like). With Philbin selecting from the Menu too, I think we have a shot of making some serious improvements in the coming year or two.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
shularino wrote:

We're most definitely not deep at S, LB, OL, TE, and WR.

My point was most teams have certain areas where they are not deep........we are not the exception.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:19 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Big Dave wrote:
The national media is starting to take notice.

SI's Don Banks ....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... ef=writers

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:44 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Haha wrote:

Good point but the reality is just like Tony S. first year the schedule was similar. When the schedule got harder , reality set in. I fear the same will happen now.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:56 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

FINesse wrote:
Haha wrote:

Good point but the reality is just like Tony S. first year the schedule was similar. When the schedule got harder , reality set in. I fear the same will happen now.

That and Chad Pennington went down with an injury. It is really no more complicated than that. So goes the QB, so goes the team. In RT we trust.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:28 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Haha wrote:

Sparano had an easy schedule, a gimmick that took teams a while to figure out, and a QB who didn't throw away games against teams of similar or worse ability. 2008 was more of a mirage than reality. I can't say for certain if we are looking at the same thing here but I have hope in a few areas.

First and most important is QB play. Tannehill is doing his best Pennington impression lately by not throwing games away and exercising good game management. He is blessed with the arm strength to make throws Pennington could not, therefore causing defenses to not simply stack the box on every play.

The OL is looking consistent and while slacking as of late, at least the running backs are putting the ball in the end zone (for the most part) when at goal line situations. Its not just field goals. Back to the OL, it just seems that Miami doesn't HAVE TO make any changes whereas past years we always talked about a gaping hole needing to be replaced.

The AFC East is weakening. Before you jump on me for this please let me explain. Sparano played a Brady-less AFC East, a Favre sinking ship, and I can't even remember who QB'd the Bills in year 1. When he faced Brady, the peak of the Jets D, and an improving Bills team in year 2 he began to flounder into mediocrity. Say what you will about a watered down offense for Henne, but the WC was toast and his conservative nature failed him against better competition. Fast forward to now and the Pats are not as good. The Jets are not as good. The Bills are not improving. Each team would have to make some major moves for next year to turn it around quickly. I don't think Philbin has to worry about facing a 180 of a team like Sparano did in his second year. He can build the Fins while the others have to conduct lengthy rebuilds or retoolings, keeping things on a more level playing field. Don't get me wrong, the Pats should be the favorites but I don't view them as a dominant, insurmountable threat.

Miami has a lot of ammo for next offseason. Say what you will but Ireland has done a solid job in his two drafts where Parcells wasn't involved. He has a plethora of picks and a lot of money to re-sign current guys and target an efficient FA. I hope he sticks to not overpaying an unknown asset ie big pay day FA who never lives up to the billing. I already know people will nitpick about how every draft pick hasn't performed but his percentages aren't much different from other successful GMs.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]