View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dolphins Wrap: Has Joe Philbin's team turned the corner? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins Wrap: Has Joe Philbin's team turned the corner?
Quote:
By Omar Kelly

Sun Sentinel

3:18 p.m. EDT, October 14, 2012

There was a time not too long ago when Joe Philbin was being compared to Cam Cameron.

Philbin's team got embarrassed all exhibition season and then got smush faced by the Houston Texans in the 30-10 season-opening loss.

Ryan Tannehill was struggling to get passes thrown over the defensive line and routinely turned the ball over. And the defense kept giving up big plays.

The 2012 season seemed to be headed into a Cameron-esque disaster zone because some people concluded a mild-mannered, micromanaging Joe Philbin was too WHATEVER to solve the problems.

He was too much like Cam Cameron.

Owner Steve Ross was a buffoon. General Manager Jeff Ireland was incompetent. The talent on the Dolphins was horrible.

Some South Florida sports fans, and a FEW media let the season play out and the Dolphins won three of the team's next five games, and lost two in overtime games that were winnable.

Smart fans look at the season and conclude these Philbin led Dolphins are two plays from being 5-1 and the talk of the NFL.

Maybe there's hope?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... l+Blogs%29

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:54 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Dolphins Wrap: Has Joe Philbin's team turned the corner?
How about that fake punt

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The longer this team plays together and builds chemistry the better we're going to get. We're only scratching the surface of what Tannehill and this offense are capable of. The same thing goes for the defense, we've only been running Coyle's new defense for a few months now. Considering the fact that many "experts" and fans were picking us to only win five or six games this season, I think this team has made a lot of those same people rethink their logic about this football team. While they had ever right to be skeptical after the lousy preseason we had, I think now there is no way they could sit back and say that this isn't a very competitive football team.

Like the article says, we're only a couple of plays away from being 5-1 and the talk of the town. If Dan Carpenter makes those fieldgoals, we're going into the bye with sole possession of 1st place. But hey, a three way tie at 3-3 is better than most of us could have hoped for after the Texans game.

Have we turned the corner? I hope so, but I think we'll have to wait and see what happens coming out of the bye week. If we're able to string together a couple of wins coming out of the bye, then it's on like Donkey Kong!

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:33 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If the season wasn't over when we were 1-3, then we haven't "turned the corner" at 3-3. The Dolphins have lost two games they could have won and won two games they could have lost

I do agree that there is hope. There's hope because our coach and QB.

Philbin's has impressed with his innovative training camp practices (I wonder how many teams will copy his split field reps) and his demeanor. Joe doesn't show his butt on the sidelines when he disagrees with a call; he wasn't one of the coaches that were bullying the replacement refs. His game management has been solid and should only improve over time. That fake punt call took guts, but it was a good call (even if it hadn't worked) considering the flow of the game to that point.

I'm no scholar of the game, but I can see the difference in Tannehill compared to the Dolphins' 16 previous quarterbacks and the qualities he shares with Marino.

So whether we finish 8-8 or sneak into the playoffs, the two most important pieces for future success are in place and it is up to everyone else (including Ireland) to get in step with them.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:50 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

New system on both sides of the ball, rookie QB....nowhere to go but up

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mindtornado wrote:
So whether we finish 8-8 or sneak into the playoffs, the two most important pieces for future success are in place and it is up to everyone else (including Ireland) to get in step with them.

If we see Tannehill continue to develop like we have, then the season is a success regardless of how many more wins we see.

However, whatever love Philbin is getting now, he (and by association, Ireland) will get the ire of most fans when he continues to shed legacy players after the season. Count on just as many veterans getting cut this coming offseason as this past offseason. He will quickly shape this team into "his" players and fans have to come to grips with it.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]