View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Give Philbin credit – and the win 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Give Philbin credit – and the win
Quote:
Dave Hyde Sun Sentinel Columnist
7:51 p.m. EDT, October 14, 2012

MIAMI GARDENS
How about a big round of applause for gutsy football coaching?
What a triumphant return it made to Sun Life Stadium on Sunday after years in exile dating back to the oft-stated Wannstedt-ian philosophy that, "It's not bad if a series ends on a kick."
Let's define "gutsy" properly, too: You'd be ripping Dolphins coach Joe Philbin today if his call for a fake punt didn't work out. That's not finger-pointing at you (and you and you). I'd be ripping him, too.

Everyone is so mind-numbingly conditioned to thinking inside the box in the NFL the surprise wasn't even on the Doppler radar. Even from those it should have been.
"Yeah, that's on me,'' Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher said. "I didn't think that they would do that or I would have left the defense out there. That was a great play."

"I hadn't run the ball since high school,'' Clemons said.
"You've got to have faith in the players,'' Philbin said. "If you're going to spend the time practicing something, hopefully you believe in it. And we felt it was the right time to do it."
Safety Chris Clemons had the final call on the play. He lined up as a blocking back on the punt team. He read the defensive alignment to ensure they were as expected.
"I told them all week if we used it I was going to score,'' Clemons said. "I wasn't able to do that."

The most remarkable part is Philbin made that gusty decision six games into his NFL coaching career

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Give Philbin credit – and the win
Quote:
BenVolinPBP Been fascinating to see how much more trust and faith the players have in Philbin and Tannehill now compared to back in training camp

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=BenVolinPBP

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:10 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

This is the kind of call that brings trust and loyalty. Lets hope it carries over into an attitude of belief that they can win in any situation

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:01 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I have really liked the coaching decisions made by Philbin. Where I was watching the game people mocked him for icing the kicker in the first half and it worked. And the fake punt killed about another two minutes of the game clock and made the Rams burn up two timeouts. Those two calls alone were a big difference in the game.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:13 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
BenVolinPBP Been fascinating to see how much more trust and faith the players have in Philbin and Tannehill now compared to back in training camp

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=BenVolinPBP

Philbin and Sherman have faith in Tannehill, they let him run that offense. He delivers.

Players can either buy in and get on board, or move on. There is no other way...

we lost two of out best players on O and D, not only have we recovered, we continue to get better...
People who still question them are just looking to argue.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]