View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Rookie Olivier Vernon makes play of the day for Miami 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Rookie Olivier Vernon makes play of the day for Miami
Quote:
By Brian Biggane

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

MIAMI GARDENS —
Cam Wake had a message Sunday morning for rookie defensive end Olivier Vernon: This is your day.

Wake said he had been watching Vernon come “this close” to making a big play in the Dolphins’ first five games this season and felt he was due for a breakthrough.

“I told him, ‘Today’s the day, go out and seize the opportunity,’ ” said Wake, a veteran pass-rusher. “And we see what he did.”

What Vernon did was make the biggest play of the game, sacking St. Louis’ Sam Bradford for a 3-yard loss on third down that led coach Jeff Fisher to call for a nearly impossible 66-yard field-goal attempt. The kick sailed left in the final seconds, giving Miami a 17-14 victory.

Vernon had two sacks among his four tackles Sunday, and both were huge.

The first, on which he dropped Bradford for an 8-yard loss that left the Rams at the Miami 34, turned a relatively easy field goal into a 52-yarder that rookie Greg Zuerlein, who came into the game a perfect 13-for-13, missed to keep the Rams’ lead at 6-0.

The Dolphin defense didn’t have one of its better days. St. Louis outgained Miami 462-192 yards, averaging 6.7 per play, and amassed 162 yards rushing on what had been the league’s top-rated run defense.

“We were overrunning (the ball), stuff like that,” safety Chris Clemons said. “We’ll get that fixed.”

The difference between this game and the team’s two overtime losses last month, Clemons said, was Vernon.

“A couple games, we just needed somebody to step up and make a play,” Clemons said. “He stepped up and made a play.”

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... -mi/nScxq/

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:34 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Rookie Olivier Vernon makes play of the day for Miami
I loved that pick and the Miller pick.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:36 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Olivier was raw coming out of Miami, but I liked his motor and his power. Nice to see him get a couple of sacks today. Hope he keeps developing.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I heard a lot of draft buzz about Vernon and Miller. The general concensus was that if Vernon and Miller had stayed in college another season they likely could have gone a couple of rounds higher in the draft that they did. We knew the two of them would be projects, but we also saw the potential for these two U kids to contribute early. In addition, I've seen Randall getting plenty of playing time as well. He too has contributed early on. When you consider the amount of contribution this draft class has given, you can't help but think that Ireland did a great job in this years draft. I know it's still early to call this draft a success, but it's looking like it will be early on. Heck, just the fact that we grabbed a potential franchise quarterback and a starting right tackle makes this draft a good one in my book.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]