View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 This QB class 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post This QB class
Gonna turn out to be pretty darn good.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:47 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: This QB class
They are all lighting it up, I can't believe how good they are all doing. It will be fun to see who ends out on top at the end of the season, and who's team gets the most wins.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:55 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FINesse wrote:
Gonna turn out to be pretty darn good.

They certainly look like they are going to be a special group.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Nineteen Eighty What? Pff...

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:17 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Fire Ireland!!! Let's start a petition. lol I couldn't resist. Remember all the morons at the beginning of the season protesting? :hithead:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Fire Ireland!!! Let's start a petition. lol I couldn't resist. Remember all the morons at the beginning of the season protesting? :hithead:

One of the things I love about Mak is just how benign and tactful his posts are. : )

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:45 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

One of the things I love about Mak is just how benign and tactful his posts are. : )

LOL! I read it wrong too! I thought FINese was talking about our rookie class....speaking of morons.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:05 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Makchell wrote:

Why? Because he finally had a pick he couldn't possibly screw up? :)

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:03 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Could be the best QB class since...Marino's? :o And the comparisons continue to fly :D

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:38 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

It certainly looks like a special class. Of course I root for RT to be the best, but Luck and RG3 are as advertised. Impressed with the 76 TD yard run. Wilson looks like the next Drew Brees. Who needs barkely...

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Last year's too...Newton, Ponder and Dalton are all long term starters.

Crazy the direction the game has gone.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am not saying that these QB's lack talent. They are talented, howevah, they should also be thankful for the rules the game is played by now.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AQNOR wrote:
I am not saying that these QB's lack talent. They are talented, howevah, they should also be thankful for the rules the game is played by now.

SPOT ON. The NFL Great / HOFer Rod Woodson once said that if Marino played in today's game, he'd throw for 100,000 yards. Obviously speaking figuratively but you know.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ya, you can tell it's easier for rookie QB's to transition to the NFL nowadays.
There is a better bridge now than there was during the Andre Ware/Heath Shuler days.
Coaches now actually mold their offenses to fit the draft picks strength/weaknesses. Instead of just throwing the whole playbook at the guy or trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole.

College offenses look more pro-style while Pro offenses took on some of the college style of play.
Tannehill is in the same offense he is comfortable with and the redskins are running a Baylor-type offense with RG3. The NFL got smarter with rookie QB's.

Couple that with the rules now protecting quarterbacks and receivers and there is far less shellshock with rookie QB's now.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

don't forget the 2004 class. Eli, Ben and Rivers. I think Shaub may have also been in that class.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think that Luck and Tannehill have the stuff to have long successful careers. When you watch them read defenses, call audibles, make drops from under center, adjust protections, and stand tall in the pocket under pressure, you see why these guys were top ten picks. They've got the look and feel of a franchise quarterback.

While RG3 is winning games and producing, I'm just not too sure his style of play will have continued success. The read option is working right now, but eventually teams will key up on it and shut it down. Just look at what has happened to Cam Newton this season now that teams know how to gameplan for him.

Wilson has been impressive considering he was a later draft pick. While he's not putting up eye popping numbers, he's winning games. A lot can be said for that. I don't think he'll ever be elite, but he doesn't need. He has the tools to be a very good game manager.

Weeden looks like a bust on a bad football team. Maybe he'll figure it out in the next couple of years, but by that time he'll be over 30 and on the downturn physically. I'm very glad we didn't draft him.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
I think that Luck and Tannehill have the stuff to have long successful careers. When you watch them read defenses, call audibles, make drops from under center, adjust protections, and stand tall in the pocket under pressure, you see why these guys were top ten picks. They've got the look and feel of a franchise quarterback.

While RG3 is winning games and producing, I'm just not too sure his style of play will have continued success. The read option is working right now, but eventually teams will key up on it and shut it down. Just look at what has happened to Cam Newton this season now that teams know how to gameplan for him.

Wilson has been impressive considering he was a later draft pick. While he's not putting up eye popping numbers, he's winning games. A lot can be said for that. I don't think he'll ever be elite, but he doesn't need. He has the tools to be a very good game manager.

Weeden looks like a bust on a bad football team. Maybe he'll figure it out in the next couple of years, but by that time he'll be over 30 and on the downturn physically. I'm very glad we didn't draft him.

I also have my doubts about Griffin long term. Let me see him beat defenses consistently for a few years while not getting knocked out and concussed.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Why? Because he finally had a pick he couldn't possibly screw up? :)

Seems to me alot of people on this board would have screwed it up..And that includes you

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I also have my doubts about Griffin long term. Let me see him beat defenses consistently for a few years while not getting knocked out and concussed.

That and the fact that he's really not running a true NFL offense. Shanahan has totally built that offense around him. It's very similar to what he ran at Baylor. It's a lot of shotgun and read option. Cam Newton did a lot of that in his first season, and he had a lot of success, but this year it's begun to catch up with him. I expect a similar result with RG3. He'll shock plenty of people this year, but slowly teams will learn how to shut him down. It's just like Tebow and the Wildcat, it tears you up for a year or so, but then defensive coordinators figure it out and it becomes worthless. There is a reason you don't see teams running offenses like that for long periods of time, it's because it cannot be sustained.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I live in Charlotte, as you can imagine Cam's play this year is getting alot of attention. I'm not sure if he'll turn it around. He doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.................doing his Superman on a late 4th Q junk TD, when the other team had already put the game away. He's reveerted back to poor mechanics atnd his team is calling him out. So much success so young has gone to his head.

RG3 seems to be the real deal. He sounds extremely intelligent and mature...........way beyond his years. Very accurate passer..........the sky's the limit for him.

But you know what.........I don't think I'd trade Tanny for Luck or RG............he's steadily getting better every game........hangs in the pocket like Rothlisberger.........extremely accurate.........generally makes the right call. Get him some real weapons at the wideout and he'll be putting up huge numbers.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Kev1321 wrote:

Seems to me alot of people on this board would have screwed it up..And that includes you

Actually posting history will tell you that I wanted and lobbied for RT before the draft. You would be more correct in saying I didn't want him to start right away. I thought it was premature. I'm happy to be wrong about that

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:32 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm happy to be wrong about that

And that's why I love you Junkie, you can admit when you are wrong (not like some on the board).

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Makchell wrote:
I'm happy to be wrong about that

And that's why I love you Junkie, you can admit when you are wrong (not like some on the board).

Someone is going to have to stop me from getting a RT tattoo...the kid is money

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Remember the posts that used to dominate this site.......last year we had to get Kyle Orton........we needed to suck to get Luck.......do whatever it takes to get Manning............Matt Flynn would be a perfect fit.

It's hard to believe, we have a franchise QB with potential to be elite. The Boys made the right call.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Actually posting history will tell you that I wanted and lobbied for RT before the draft. You would be more correct in saying I didn't want him to start right away. I thought it was premature. I'm happy to be wrong about that

He's right, he was all for us drafting Tannehill. He just thought based on preseason performance that Tannehill should sit for a while. Who could blame him, we looked like crap in the preseason, especially the o-line. Even in game one we looked terrible and it looked like it was going to be a long season. He didn't want the kid to get rattled or hurt. It's a credible fear. When you take a kid that high in the draft you have a lot riding on that player. Putting them in too early could have a bad effect.

But out of the ashes that were the pre-season and week one came a ray of hope. We destroyed the Raiders. We've been competitive and Tannehill has been constantly improving ever since. Our staff made the correct call playing Tannehill and it is paying off right now. A lot of people wrote us off after watching that Texans game. But right now they're all changing their opinions after watching us battle the past month.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:

LOL! I read it wrong too! I thought FINese was talking about our rookie class....speaking of morons.

That FINesse ... always stirring the pot;)

One thing that I loved about T-Rock was that he spoke his mind ... right or wrong. Mak is a little bit like Tom and that is a real compliment.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:16 am
Profile WWW

Tannehill was the obvious choice for this team at 8. I dont think there was much of an opinion in the Dolphin war room to go in any other direction with that pick. I do think Luck & RG3 are for real. I think RG3 only benefits from having Shanahan as his first NFL coach. He seems to be the running QB that can throw just as well. he is also electric. It is still early I know for all these guys. Wilson has some wins over great teams but I need to see him win on the road , will be nice to see Tannehill next year when I would imagine the schedule will be harder , would like to see Weeden on a real team & in Lucks case its just gonna take some time as Indy was that bad last season. Still in 4 years this will be very interesting re visiting this topic.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
(not like some on the board).

Oh , he's never wrong..Self-proclaimed of coarse :)

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:59 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Mak is a little bit like Tom and that is a real compliment.

Wow, thanks Dave, that is a HUGE compliment. Tom taught me when I was just a young buck so I'm proud to represent.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]