View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Ross called the acquisition of a No. 1 WR top priority 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ross called the acquisition of a No. 1 WR top priority
Dolphins owner Steve Ross called the acquisition of a No. 1 receiver the team's "top offseason priority."
Brian Hartline will be a free agent after this season, but Ross said he's not a No. 1 kind of talent anyway. The owner said the team will do "what it takes" to add a premier pass-catcher to aid Ryan Tannehill's development. Some potential free agents this spring include Greg Jennings, Wes Welker and Dwayne Bowe. Meanwhile, Hartline leads the NFL in receiving yards through five weeks.

----Sun Sentinel

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:24 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Ross called the acquisition of a No. 1 WR top priority
Hartline is well on pace to have a career year and Ross decides to opine that he is not a #1 receiver?

I can see it now, right after a Miami Dolphins Superbowl Victory in 2014, Ross comes out and says his team has a long way to go before bringing a championship to Miami.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:23 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
Hartline is well on pace to have a career year and Ross decides to opine that he is not a #1 receiver?

I can see it now, right after a Miami Dolphins Superbowl Victory in 2014, Ross comes out and says his team has a long way to go before bringing a championship to Miami.

Yeah he could have just mentioned that we need a big time WR without throwing Hartline under the bus there.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:44 pm

TheBigFish wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yeah he could have just mentioned that we need a big time WR without throwing Hartline under the bus there.

Well after a little research, I found an article that says that Ross said this over a month ago, before Hartline started having break out games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -priority/

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It's obvious when you look at the team's lack of touchdowns passes in the redzone that we lack explosive playmakers at widereceiver. But that doesn't mean we don't have two very good possession guys in Bess and Hartline. I'd say we're one speedster and one elite tightend away from Tannehill having a full arsenal.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:34 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

Well after a little research, I found an article that says that Ross said this over a month ago, before Hartline started having break out games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -priority/

Why am I not surprised the Sun Sentinel is trying to stir some sh..

Quote:
according to a source who was in attendance.

Yeah, the old anonymous source... Im sure its 110% accurate...

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

It's obvious that Hartline and Tannehill are getting comfortable with each other. I think it would be a mistake to let Hartline walk. He need to be resigned while still adding another top WR...

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

The Hen wrote:
It's obvious that Hartline and Tannehill are getting comfortable with each other. I think it would be a mistake to let Hartline walk. He need to be resigned while still adding another top WR...

The reports on that came out last week, contract talks are in progress for him.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:40 pm

10acjed wrote:
The Hen wrote:

That's right..... :hithead:

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
The Hen wrote:

Yep, hopefully we can work out a similar deal to what Bess got. Bess signed a four year extension for something like $9M. If we can get Hartline for a similar price then it would be a solid deal. Hartline has not been as productive as Bess the past couple of years, but early indications are that Hartline will continue to accel in this new offense and become a steady target for Tannehill.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:59 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

wkloiber13 wrote:
10acjed wrote:
The Hen wrote:

Yep, hopefully we can work out a similar deal to what Bess got. Bess signed a four year extension for something like $9M. If we can get Hartline for a similar price then it would be a solid deal. Hartline has not been as productive as Bess the past couple of years, but early indications are that Hartline will continue to accel in this new offense and become a steady target for Tannehill.

And I would like to add, Hartline is a good #2 WR, and aquiring a number 1 is only going to make this team and him better. It also puts Bess back into the slot--where he can be sneaky. I don't think anyone wants to see Hartline go. That would be stupid on the phin's part. We just a need a #1 and a good #4.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Right now, Hartline is leading the NFL in receiving yards. I'm not saying he is going to finish the season like that and there are areas of improvement (he has two dropped TDs in the redzone), but I don't see him at all as a possession receiver and I don't think his ceiling is as a #2 receiver.

There is still upside there. The argument before was that he wasn't even a #2 receiver, now it's that he is only a #2 receiver. The guy is always getting overlooked but when you look at the production from year to year he keeps getting better.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:41 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
Right now, Hartline is leading the NFL in receiving yards. I'm not saying he is going to finish the season like that and there are areas of improvement (he has two dropped TDs in the redzone), but I don't see him at all as a possession receiver and I don't think his ceiling is as a #2 receiver.

There is still upside there. The argument before was that he wasn't even a #2 receiver, now it's that he is only a #2 receiver. The guy is always getting overlooked but when you look at the production from year to year he keeps getting better.

I have always seen him as overlooked and underutilized.

He was making these catches for a couple years, just not getting the ball enough.

2009 Henne throws short into double cover, Hartline takes it away from Cort Finagin - http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09 ... itans-2009
Again Henne into double cover, Hartline comes down with it http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09 ... guars-2009

Google his name and a year, he has always made these catches. Nobody paid attention til now.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:57 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:

LOL...then I'll keep saying he's a #2 or #3. i don't want to jinx him...

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:42 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Would you say that it was Henne's / Moore's fault that he didn't put up better numbers while Brandon Marshall was here?

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

apatos19 wrote:
And I would like to add, Hartline is a good #2 WR, and aquiring a number 1 is only going to make this team and him better. It also puts Bess back into the slot--where he can be sneaky. I don't think anyone wants to see Hartline go. That would be stupid on the phin's part. We just a need a #1 and a good #4.

I'd like to see us draft a big top tier wideout in the 1st round, then try to get the best tightend in the draft. Adding a big wideout and big tightend will give Tannehill two nice redzone targets. We don't have an issue moving the chains, Hartline and Bess have proven they're very good at doing that. But where we struggle is in the redzone right now. If Tannehill can continue to improve his game and we can give him some big targets, then I think this offense will really take off.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

so now that everyone knows that our owner is set on getting a #1 receiver, we lose every bit of bargaining power with potential trade partners, or free agent signings. I would think this will have us paying a pretty penny to get one

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:26 am

marc23 wrote:
so now that everyone knows that our owner is set on getting a #1 receiver, we lose every bit of bargaining power with potential trade partners, or free agent signings. I would think this will have us paying a pretty penny to get one

Ya, but I don't think it's that big of a secret....lol

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:44 am
Profile YIM

The Hen wrote:
marc23 wrote:

Ya, but I don't think it's that big of a secret....lol

Random NFL GM - "Wow, really? The Dolphins are looking to address wide receiver? Man, with all those studs they have, I would have never figured..."

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]