Phinfever.com

Catch the madness!

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:24 am 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11231
Location: Lancaster, PA
Dolphins owner Steve Ross called the acquisition of a No. 1 receiver the team's "top offseason priority."
Brian Hartline will be a free agent after this season, but Ross said he's not a No. 1 kind of talent anyway. The owner said the team will do "what it takes" to add a premier pass-catcher to aid Ryan Tannehill's development. Some potential free agents this spring include Greg Jennings, Wes Welker and Dwayne Bowe. Meanwhile, Hartline leads the NFL in receiving yards through five weeks.


----Sun Sentinel


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24756
Location: Miami, FL
Hartline is well on pace to have a career year and Ross decides to opine that he is not a #1 receiver?

I can see it now, right after a Miami Dolphins Superbowl Victory in 2014, Ross comes out and says his team has a long way to go before bringing a championship to Miami.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:13 pm
Posts: 359
Rich wrote:
Hartline is well on pace to have a career year and Ross decides to opine that he is not a #1 receiver?

I can see it now, right after a Miami Dolphins Superbowl Victory in 2014, Ross comes out and says his team has a long way to go before bringing a championship to Miami.


Yeah he could have just mentioned that we need a big time WR without throwing Hartline under the bus there.

_________________
305sportsblog.blogspot.com

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24756
Location: Miami, FL
TheBigFish wrote:
Rich wrote:
Hartline is well on pace to have a career year and Ross decides to opine that he is not a #1 receiver?

I can see it now, right after a Miami Dolphins Superbowl Victory in 2014, Ross comes out and says his team has a long way to go before bringing a championship to Miami.


Yeah he could have just mentioned that we need a big time WR without throwing Hartline under the bus there.


Well after a little research, I found an article that says that Ross said this over a month ago, before Hartline started having break out games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -priority/

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:34 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
It's obvious when you look at the team's lack of touchdowns passes in the redzone that we lack explosive playmakers at widereceiver. But that doesn't mean we don't have two very good possession guys in Bess and Hartline. I'd say we're one speedster and one elite tightend away from Tannehill having a full arsenal.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5344
Location: Wellington, FL
Rich wrote:

Well after a little research, I found an article that says that Ross said this over a month ago, before Hartline started having break out games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -priority/


Why am I not surprised the Sun Sentinel is trying to stir some sh..

Quote:
according to a source who was in attendance.


Yeah, the old anonymous source... Im sure its 110% accurate...

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MODERATOR, PHINFEVER LIVE!!!
2016 MODERATOR, PHINFEVER LIVE!!!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 7004
Location: ELP, TX.
It's obvious that Hartline and Tannehill are getting comfortable with each other. I think it would be a mistake to let Hartline walk. He need to be resigned while still adding another top WR...

_________________
Image

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/finsradio

RIP, Tom


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5344
Location: Wellington, FL
The Hen wrote:
It's obvious that Hartline and Tannehill are getting comfortable with each other. I think it would be a mistake to let Hartline walk. He need to be resigned while still adding another top WR...

The reports on that came out last week, contract talks are in progress for him.

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MODERATOR, PHINFEVER LIVE!!!
2016 MODERATOR, PHINFEVER LIVE!!!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 7004
Location: ELP, TX.
10acjed wrote:
The Hen wrote:
It's obvious that Hartline and Tannehill are getting comfortable with each other. I think it would be a mistake to let Hartline walk. He need to be resigned while still adding another top WR...

The reports on that came out last week, contract talks are in progress for him.


That's right..... :hithead:

_________________
Image

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/finsradio

RIP, Tom


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:59 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
10acjed wrote:
The Hen wrote:
It's obvious that Hartline and Tannehill are getting comfortable with each other. I think it would be a mistake to let Hartline walk. He need to be resigned while still adding another top WR...

The reports on that came out last week, contract talks are in progress for him.


Yep, hopefully we can work out a similar deal to what Bess got. Bess signed a four year extension for something like $9M. If we can get Hartline for a similar price then it would be a solid deal. Hartline has not been as productive as Bess the past couple of years, but early indications are that Hartline will continue to accel in this new offense and become a steady target for Tannehill.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 233
wkloiber13 wrote:
10acjed wrote:
The Hen wrote:
It's obvious that Hartline and Tannehill are getting comfortable with each other. I think it would be a mistake to let Hartline walk. He need to be resigned while still adding another top WR...

The reports on that came out last week, contract talks are in progress for him.


Yep, hopefully we can work out a similar deal to what Bess got. Bess signed a four year extension for something like $9M. If we can get Hartline for a similar price then it would be a solid deal. Hartline has not been as productive as Bess the past couple of years, but early indications are that Hartline will continue to accel in this new offense and become a steady target for Tannehill.


And I would like to add, Hartline is a good #2 WR, and aquiring a number 1 is only going to make this team and him better. It also puts Bess back into the slot--where he can be sneaky. I don't think anyone wants to see Hartline go. That would be stupid on the phin's part. We just a need a #1 and a good #4.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24756
Location: Miami, FL
Right now, Hartline is leading the NFL in receiving yards. I'm not saying he is going to finish the season like that and there are areas of improvement (he has two dropped TDs in the redzone), but I don't see him at all as a possession receiver and I don't think his ceiling is as a #2 receiver.

There is still upside there. The argument before was that he wasn't even a #2 receiver, now it's that he is only a #2 receiver. The guy is always getting overlooked but when you look at the production from year to year he keeps getting better.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5344
Location: Wellington, FL
Rich wrote:
Right now, Hartline is leading the NFL in receiving yards. I'm not saying he is going to finish the season like that and there are areas of improvement (he has two dropped TDs in the redzone), but I don't see him at all as a possession receiver and I don't think his ceiling is as a #2 receiver.

There is still upside there. The argument before was that he wasn't even a #2 receiver, now it's that he is only a #2 receiver. The guy is always getting overlooked but when you look at the production from year to year he keeps getting better.


I have always seen him as overlooked and underutilized.

He was making these catches for a couple years, just not getting the ball enough.

2009 Henne throws short into double cover, Hartline takes it away from Cort Finagin - http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09 ... itans-2009
Again Henne into double cover, Hartline comes down with it http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09 ... guars-2009

Google his name and a year, he has always made these catches. Nobody paid attention til now.

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:42 am 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 233
Rich wrote:
Right now, Hartline is leading the NFL in receiving yards. I'm not saying he is going to finish the season like that and there are areas of improvement (he has two dropped TDs in the redzone), but I don't see him at all as a possession receiver and I don't think his ceiling is as a #2 receiver.

There is still upside there. The argument before was that he wasn't even a #2 receiver, now it's that he is only a #2 receiver. The guy is always getting overlooked but when you look at the production from year to year he keeps getting better.


LOL...then I'll keep saying he's a #2 or #3. i don't want to jinx him...


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:13 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Almost Heaven
Would you say that it was Henne's / Moore's fault that he didn't put up better numbers while Brandon Marshall was here?


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:39 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
apatos19 wrote:
And I would like to add, Hartline is a good #2 WR, and aquiring a number 1 is only going to make this team and him better. It also puts Bess back into the slot--where he can be sneaky. I don't think anyone wants to see Hartline go. That would be stupid on the phin's part. We just a need a #1 and a good #4.


I'd like to see us draft a big top tier wideout in the 1st round, then try to get the best tightend in the draft. Adding a big wideout and big tightend will give Tannehill two nice redzone targets. We don't have an issue moving the chains, Hartline and Bess have proven they're very good at doing that. But where we struggle is in the redzone right now. If Tannehill can continue to improve his game and we can give him some big targets, then I think this offense will really take off.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:26 am 
Offline
2015 Phinfever VIP Donor!
2015 Phinfever VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:20 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Richmond VA
so now that everyone knows that our owner is set on getting a #1 receiver, we lose every bit of bargaining power with potential trade partners, or free agent signings. I would think this will have us paying a pretty penny to get one


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MODERATOR, PHINFEVER LIVE!!!
2016 MODERATOR, PHINFEVER LIVE!!!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 7004
Location: ELP, TX.
marc23 wrote:
so now that everyone knows that our owner is set on getting a #1 receiver, we lose every bit of bargaining power with potential trade partners, or free agent signings. I would think this will have us paying a pretty penny to get one


Ya, but I don't think it's that big of a secret....lol

_________________
Image

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/finsradio

RIP, Tom


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24756
Location: Miami, FL
The Hen wrote:
marc23 wrote:
so now that everyone knows that our owner is set on getting a #1 receiver, we lose every bit of bargaining power with potential trade partners, or free agent signings. I would think this will have us paying a pretty penny to get one


Ya, but I don't think it's that big of a secret....lol


Random NFL GM - "Wow, really? The Dolphins are looking to address wide receiver? Man, with all those studs they have, I would have never figured..."

_________________
Image


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r