View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
 Potential Trade Rumors from James Walker 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Potential Trade Rumors from James Walker
You knew someone in the media would start it up with Oct 30th looming. James Walker is floating the idea that GB needs a running back (Daniel Thomas) and KC needs a QB (Matt Moore). I'm sure this will end up on ESPN Insider, be a topic for John Clayton and maybe even written about by a local Miami reporter.

I don't think anyone is trading for Thomas after a second head injury. Moore to KC might have some legs if Brady Quinn flops. Walker didn't even include the fact that Daboll is the OC. I think it would be very easy for Miami to deal him and just sign Garrard to replace him. Things are certainly lining up to make it a possible move that benefits both teams.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:29 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Potential Trade Rumors from James Walker
Interesting. See how things play out.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:56 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Miami is not trading Thomas & getting anything in return, so keeping him & hoping is their best option right now. Moore to KC is possible.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

And it was already a question in a Chris Mortensen chat today, ha! In case you were wondering, he sort of answered it by saying he buys the possibility.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Not sure KC can really give up a lot for Moore. Their season is done and that regime is good as gone. Not sure the owner will allow trading future draft picks.

That said if they were willing to give up a Day 2 pick....boy. Talk about having a nice arsenal going into April. Could potentially package all those for 3 first round picks and still have a 3rd round pick or two to work with.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It would take a much larger pick than teams would be willing to give up for either on of those players. Daniel Thomas cost us multiple draft picks when we traded up to get him, I don't think Ireland is willing to give up on the kid just yet. If we do trade him it won't be until he's proven he's healthy and that the concussions won't be an issue going forward. Despite the optimism for Miller, he isn't as good in pass protection and short yardage situations as Thomas. But when Miller learns to pick up the blitz and pick up first downs in short yardage situations, then Thomas definitely becomes disposable.

With regards to Moore, he too is a very important player that I don't think we want to move. While he is never going to take Tannehill's job, that doesn't mean we don't need him. If something were to happen to Tannehill we would need a solid veteran backup to step in, that is Matt Moore to the T.

The whole idea of trading Moore depends on what our staff thinks of Devlin. If they see promise in Devlin and they think increased reps in practice could get him to a serviceable level, then I think we might be willing to move Moore, but I still think there is a small chance a team would be willing to compensate us properly. If a team gives us anything higher than a 4th, Moore is as good as gone, but I don't think it will happen.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:27 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
Not sure KC can really give up a lot for Moore. Their season is done and that regime is good as gone. Not sure the owner will allow trading future draft picks.

That said if they were willing to give up a Day 2 pick....boy. Talk about having a nice arsenal going into April. Could potentially package all those for 3 first round picks and still have a 3rd round pick or two to work with.

Tempting, knowing Moore is going to walk away next year, anyway. I want the extra picks too play with too, and its pretty obvious now that we probably won't be in the Barkley sweepstakes (allowing us to a Rams 2012 and trade down for extra picks.)

I guess this also begs the question: Is Pioli that bad and if he is, then who's really making the decisions in NE.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
With regards to Moore, he too is a very important player that I don't think we want to move. While he is never going to take Tannehill's job, that doesn't mean we don't need him. If something were to happen to Tannehill we would need a solid veteran backup to step in, that is Matt Moore to the T.

The whole idea of trading Moore depends on what our staff thinks of Devlin. If they see promise in Devlin and they think increased reps in practice could get him to a serviceable level, then I think we might be willing to move Moore, but I still think there is a small chance a team would be willing to compensate us properly. If a team gives us anything higher than a 4th, Moore is as good as gone, but I don't think it will happen.

Its not that complicated. If you can get a 5th for Moore as opposed to a 7th rd comp pick you do it. David Garrard would probably welcome the chance to get another contract and knows the system. Your vet backup issue is then solved.

Miami isn't getting higher than a 5th for Moore.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:58 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I really dont expect much at this point, they just signed Gafeney and will probably just ride it out this year.

I see them more interested in drafting and developing someone. Just have to see what other areas are in need of help.
I would rather see them try and fill other areas through FA and get a WR in round 1. Leaves us with some young WR's and a young QB, kinda hard to not like the sounds of that...

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:26 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
Moore to KC might have some legs if Brady Quinn flops. Walker didn't even include the fact that Daboll is the OC. I think it would be very easy for Miami to deal him and just sign Garrard to replace him. Things are certainly lining up to make it a possible move that benefits both teams.

I like this idea. A lot

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Its not that complicated. If you can get a 5th for Moore as opposed to a 7th rd comp pick you do it. David Garrard would probably welcome the chance to get another contract and knows the system. Your vet backup issue is then solved.

At this stage why would KC do that? Would've made 50 times more sense before training camp. There's a lot more going on there than just poor QB play.

They're a dreadful 1-4. The Pioli regime is more than likely on the way out. I don't see their owner wanting to trade draft picks right now. Doesn't make any long-term sense. The new coach is going to want his own QB and DaBoll will probably be looking for new employment as well again.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

How about Dansby to Houston for a 1st?

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
At this stage why would KC do that? Would've made 50 times more sense before training camp. There's a lot more going on there than just poor QB play.

They're a dreadful 1-4. The Pioli regime is more than likely on the way out. I don't see their owner wanting to trade draft picks right now. Doesn't make any long-term sense. The new coach is going to want his own QB and DaBoll will probably be looking for new employment as well again.

We're living in the world of James Walker hypotheticals. I agree, why bother unless Pioli thinks Moore getting them some 2nd half wins might save his job. The likelihood is 5% at best.

My argument was on Miami's end. Better to get a pick for Moore than let him walk, especially when you could maybe re-sign Garrard. Moore isn't a necessity anymore for the Fins.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Yes, but we're not the ones approaching the Chiefs. They're coming to us. When teams are desperate like that it means the price of that player becomes significantly higher. Moore might be only worth a 5th, but if the Chiefs want him and have a serious need to get him, then we could wind up getting a 3rd or 4th.

With regards to Thomas, the price is even higher because of his age and the fact that we gave up multiple picks to get him. If the Packers want Thomas he will cost them plenty. Probably a pair of picks. He isn't all that important considering we have Bush, Miller, Thigpen, and Lane to split up the carries.

Reality is that the Dolphins won't have to unload either guy, becuase they don't have a need, they can afford to be stubborn on the price/compensation.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

would make alot of sense for KC to shop Bowe before the deadline since they know they're going nowhere this year. Offer up one of our 2nd's for Bowe. Can't hurt to try.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Yes, but we're not the ones approaching the Chiefs. They're coming to us. When teams are desperate like that it means the price of that player becomes significantly higher. Moore might be only worth a 5th, but if the Chiefs want him and have a serious need to get him, then we could wind up getting a 3rd or 4th.

With regards to Thomas, the price is even higher because of his age and the fact that we gave up multiple picks to get him. If the Packers want Thomas he will cost them plenty. Probably a pair of picks. He isn't all that important considering we have Bush, Miller, Thigpen, and Lane to split up the carries.

Reality is that the Dolphins won't have to unload either guy, becuase they don't have a need, they can afford to be stubborn on the price/compensation.

Its not about having to be stubborn. If a team approaches Miami then the Fins have to weigh numbers and contingency. Again, I point to a comp pick versus maybe getting a pick 2 rounds earlier. If David Garrard is willing to re-sign, even better.

Miami doesn't have to do anything but it might be wise to do something if it bolsters their future roster without compromising the current one. And I agree with RS, it doesn't make much sense for the Chiefs to make the move. Only makes sense if they think Moore is a much better bridge option to a future franchise guy and re-energizes the fanbase for the second half of the year.

By the way, I agree that Thomas isn't going anywhere. Plenty of running backs can be signed off the scrap heap.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:16 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
would make alot of sense for KC to shop Bowe before the deadline since they know they're going nowhere this year. Offer up one of our 2nd's for Bowe. Can't hurt to try.

That's an interesting thought and has some logic to it. Remember when we traded Chambers in that 1-15 season. At some point teams have to forget the current season and plan for the future. We've certainly had plenty of experience with that.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

That's an interesting thought and has some logic to it. Remember when we traded Chambers in that 1-15 season. At some point teams have to forget the current season and plan for the future. We've certainly had plenty of experience with that.

he's well worth a 2nd round pick and then some. Plus he would increase our playoff chances this year.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:23 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

offer Moore and a 2nd for Bowe, I can't believe KC wouldn't take that.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:12 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphinjim wrote:
offer Moore and a 2nd for Bowe, I can't believe KC wouldn't take that.

Again, maybe before the year began, but that would've crippled their receiving core. They have no use for Moore when they're going to be dismantling this regime at season's end. Any coach they try to bring on will want two cornerstones of their offense to remain (i.e. Charles & Bowe).

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Moore trade makes sense, only if a playoff contender loses their starting QB. At that point, we maybe able to get as high a 3rd for him. The Cheifs will definately take a QB with their 1st pick next year and if I'm the Owner, I'm definatley limiting trades my GM or Coach makes since both are probably gone at the end of the year. The Raider's Owner probably wished he blocked the trade for Palmer, as they gave up a 1st and 2nd to get him.

Tannehill is only one play from being knocked out...........if that happens Moore gives us a chance to win, until Tannehill can get back on the field. Remember the Bears and Texans last year...............they didn't put alot of stock in their backup QB's and it cost them big.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

It's because this is a win now league. Nobody wants to give up on any season, especially when their job is on the line. If you can get a quality veteran backup like Moore for a mid-round pick, you try to do it if you don't have any better options. Moore would be able to step in and play pretty quick. He knows Daboll from Miami and I'm sure the offense isn't drastically different to the point where Moore couldn't learn it. It's a good fit for us if Garrard is healthy and the Chiefs are willing to trade a decent pick to get Moore. In fact, it's the closest thing I can think of to a win win. We get a pick for a guy who wasn't going to play anyway, and the Chiefs get a quarterback.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

It's because this is a win now league. Nobody wants to give up on any season, especially when their job is on the line. If you can get a quality veteran backup like Moore for a mid-round pick, you try to do it if you don't have any better options. Moore would be able to step in and play pretty quick. He knows Daboll from Miami and I'm sure the offense isn't drastically different to the point where Moore couldn't learn it. It's a good fit for us if Garrard is healthy and the Chiefs are willing to trade a decent pick to get Moore. In fact, it's the closest thing I can think of to a win win. We get a pick for a guy who wasn't going to play anyway, and the Chiefs get a quarterback.

Don't see it..........I think the writing is on the wall for the Cheif's coaching organization and you'll see them trade players for draft picks and seriously try to rebuild around a new coach and GM.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:

They're 1-5. Moore is not going to be their savior. They have many other problems outside of the QB position, particularly their defense. They've been outscore by about 80pts so far this year. Moore does not solve that problem.

Winning "now" has absolutely nothing to do with the predicament they find themselves in. A moron of an owner would OK the GM trading away draft picks in a virtually meaningless season, especially with the heat Pioli is already receiving. A trade now would be desperation Lamar Gordon style.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

jammer wrote:
You knew someone in the media would start it up with Oct 30th looming. James Walker is floating the idea that GB needs a running back (Daniel Thomas) and KC needs a QB (Matt Moore). I'm sure this will end up on ESPN Insider, be a topic for John Clayton and maybe even written about by a local Miami reporter.

I don't think anyone is trading for Thomas after a second head injury. Moore to KC might have some legs if Brady Quinn flops. Walker didn't even include the fact that Daboll is the OC. I think it would be very easy for Miami to deal him and just sign Garrard to replace him. Things are certainly lining up to make it a possible move that benefits both teams.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the update and your thoughts on these trade rumors.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

CBS.Sportsline reported that the Chiefs offered Piolli a two year extension. He hasn't signed it yet though.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

They're 1-5. Moore is not going to be their savior. They have many other problems outside of the QB position, particularly their defense. They've been outscore by about 80pts so far this year. Moore does not solve that problem.

Winning "now" has absolutely nothing to do with the predicament they find themselves in. A moron of an owner would OK the GM trading away draft picks in a virtually meaningless season, especially with the heat Pioli is already receiving. A trade now would be desperation Lamar Gordon style.

Moore took over a team that was 0-4 and finished with six wins. There are some weapons in Kansas City (ie. Dwayne Bowe / Jamaal Charles). I think Moore could do very well for them. Plus, who will the Chiefs get in the 5th round that can give them that kind of contribution? Moore isn't over the hill and he proved that he can be an effective game manager in that system. Giving up a 5th round pick for a player like Matt Moore isn't desperate, it's common sense for a 1-5 team that desperately needs a jump start.

Mindtornado wrote:
CBS.Sportsline reported that the Chiefs offered Piolli a two year extension. He hasn't signed it yet though.

So much for Pioli being on his way out.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mindtornado wrote:

Wow, that's really stupid...............Pioli's been the GM since 2009, why would an Owner want to give him an extension? Anyway, that's their problem

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:

Moore took over a team that was 0-4 and finished with six wins. There are some weapons in Kansas City (ie. Dwayne Bowe / Jamaal Charles). I think Moore could do very well for them. Plus, who will the Chiefs get in the 5th round that can give them that kind of contribution? Moore isn't over the hill and he proved that he can be an effective game manager in that system. Giving up a 5th round pick for a player like Matt Moore isn't desperate, it's common sense for a 1-5 team that desperately needs a jump start.

Oh you mean the same Matt Moore who's wins/play should be taken with a grain of salt last year because they were against bad teams and in a meaningless portion of the year ...... and because the running game and defense carried us?

You'll have to pardon me man, it's hard to take your comments serious about Moore given the protests and analysis of his game this offseason .... yet now he's the kind of guy a team like the Chiefs should spend a pick on, instead of focusing on the upcoming draft and getting "the guy" like you protested the Dolphins absolutely had to do for our 2011 draft. It's just ironic. Shouldn't the Chiefs find their future too? Isn't the door shut on Matt Moore as far as what kind of QB he could be? You basically called him a career journeyman backup, marginal spot starter. Why would the Chiefs kick the tires on that when the season is on the fritz?

Quote:

So much for the CBSsportsline report.

"Per King, no contract has been offered — and Pioli’s status will be evaluated after the season."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... extension/

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

"Per King, no contract has been offered — and Pioli’s status will be evaluated after the season."

Most sports reporters are worthless..........the Cheifs are 1-5 and just got blown out by the 2-4 Bucs, why would the Owner want to give this Guy an extension?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Oh you mean the same Matt Moore who's wins/play should be taken with a grain of salt last year because they were against bad teams and in a meaningless portion of the year ...... and because the running game and defense carried us?

You'll have to pardon me man, it's hard to take your comments serious about Moore given the protests and analysis of his game this offseason .... yet now he's the kind of guy a team like the Chiefs should spend a pick on, instead of focusing on the upcoming draft and getting "the guy" like you protested the Dolphins absolutely had to do for our 2011 draft. It's just ironic. Shouldn't the Chiefs find their future too? Isn't the door shut on Matt Moore as far as what kind of QB he could be? You basically called him a career journeyman backup, marginal spot starter. Why would the Chiefs kick the tires on that when the season is on the fritz?

Quote:

It's a 5th round pick, not the GM's first born child. I believe the Jets gave up a 5th round pick for Tebow, so there is a little perspective for you. I do believe the door is somewhat shut for Moore in that I don't think he'll ever find a situation where they'll give him a clear shot at a starting job. No matter where he goes he'll have to win it, which I think is proper. He has done nothing in his career to deserve a starting job without competition. It's not like he's Peyton Manning.
But just because Moore is a journeyman backup, it doesn't mean he doesn't have value. Even if the Chiefs decide to draft a quarterback in the 1st round, it is always good to have a veteran backup to mentor him. Moore has played in this offense before and would be able to help the rookie to a certain extent. He'll also be able to step in and hold down the fort if the rookie should get hurt. Giving up a 5th round pick for a guy like that is a fair trade. Especially when you can get value for him this year. He would be a stop gap of sorts. He'll play this year, then be re-signed as a backup veteran mentor next year.
Or the Chiefs could bring him in and tell him it's his job to lose. If he plays well this year, the Chiefs will draft a quarterback later on. If he struggles, they'll draft a quarterback early. It gets decided by his play. Moore could control his own destiny. That's a way better option for him than being Tannehill's backup in Miami.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
He would be a stop gap of sorts. He'll play this year, then be re-signed as a backup veteran mentor next year.

Or the Chiefs could bring him in and tell him it's his job to lose. If he plays well this year, the Chiefs will draft a quarterback later on. If he struggles, they'll draft a quarterback early. It gets decided by his play. Moore could control his own destiny. That's a way better option for him than being Tannehill's backup in Miami.

But that's just it .... he wouldn't control his own destiny by being traded there.

The moment he hits free agency is the moment that takes shape. Chiefs are drafting a QB regardless in this upcoming draft. Why would he want to head into the same exact situation he had here in Miami?

There's literally no point.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
He would be a stop gap of sorts. He'll play this year, then be re-signed as a backup veteran mentor next year.

But that's just it .... he wouldn't control his own destiny by being traded there.

The moment he hits free agency is the moment that takes shape. Chiefs are drafting a QB regardless in this upcoming draft. Why would he want to head into the same exact situation he had here in Miami?

There's literally no point.

Because right now teams have some pretty sloppy film of him in the preseason, in fact, it's so bad it might affect his value. If he goes to KC and plays well it could significantly improve his value going into free agency. Moore needs to prove he's got what it takes to be a starter, right now the film just doesn't support that. He needs some more playing time, he needs to show more people what he can do. He won't get that chance in Miami.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Because right now teams have some pretty sloppy film of him in the preseason, in fact, it's so bad it might affect his value. If he goes to KC and plays well it could significantly improve his value going into free agency. Moore needs to prove he's got what it takes to be a starter, right now the film just doesn't support that. He needs some more playing time, he needs to show more people what he can do. He won't get that chance in Miami.

The film from preseason of 27 pass attempts in a brand new offense (that may or may not be suitable to his skill sets) that he's never played in before?

C'mon man. There's film of him in 13 starts last year that would give more credible information.

The Chiefs are a bad team. The last thing the guy "needs" to do is head there amidst that turmoil. He's better off playing his cards in Free Agency and competing at the next team's training camp.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

The film from preseason of 27 pass attempts in a brand new offense (that may or may not be suitable to his skill sets) that he's never played in before?

C'mon man. There's film of him in 13 starts last year that would give more credible information.

The Chiefs are a bad team. The last thing the guy "needs" to do is head there amidst that turmoil. He's better off playing his cards in Free Agency and competing at the next team's training camp.

At the current time, he'll be a backup no matter where he goes. The only way he has a shot to be a starter is if he gets on the field and plays. He still has to earn it. Miami right now just isn't a good fit for him.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]