View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Terrific Read "Tannehill Entering Rarefied Rookie Air" 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Terrific Read "Tannehill Entering Rarefied Rookie Air"
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 76d9c6db53

Naturally, there was a lot more hype surrounding the first two quarterbacks taken in April’s NFL Draft – Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, but through five games Miami Dolphins rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill is quietly creating some buzz of his own.

With yesterday’s 17-13 win at Cincinnati, during which Tannehill completed of 17-of-26 passes for 223 yards, he reached 1,269 passing yards on the season. He became the first rookie in NFL history to pass for more than 1,250 yards and record at least two wins in his first five games. That number also is the second highest yardage total ever by a rookie through his first five games, behind only Cam Newton’s 1,610 yards last season.

Nobody inside Miami’s locker room is at all surprised with Tannehill’s production thus far after being around him during OTAs, minicamps, training camp and the preseason. His receivers obviously are benefiting from his development, as are the running backs and tight ends, but even his offensive line can see the positives.

“He’s getting better every single week and you can see it just in the way he puts us in the right spots, checking the plays and putting us on the right people to block,” said Pro Bowl left tackle Jake Long, who is in his fifth season with his fourth different starting quarterback. “When stuff breaks down he’s able to make plays and the opponents we’ve faced in these first five games have been great defenses and really tough. He’s handled it well and has been playing well in crunch time.”

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Terrific Read "Tannehill Entering Rarefied Rookie Air"
Quote:
Even early on in the regular season when he was victimized by tipped passes at the line and some costly interceptions, Tannehill didn’t blink. In fact, he worked even harder to make sure those same mistakes didn’t happen again and the evidence is on film.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:28 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
That number also is the second highest yardage total ever by a rookie through his first five games, behind only Cam Newton’s 1,610 yards last season.

3rd highest...hair split but Weeden has him by 20yds

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:53 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

His QB rating has gone up every game, he is growing right in front of us.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

All the naysayers are becoming quieter by the game. Even Junkie is starting to like the kid. Maybe even some of them will admit they were wrong.....?
All kidding aside, its very early yet and things will change and defenses will find adjustments. Heck, we haven't even played the Bill Belichecks yet. Still, it's been enjoyable to see RT steadily improve in each game. He has been impressive.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The sky is his limit if we get him some targets the caliber of a Demaryius Thomas or Jimmy Graham in the next couple drafts.

It's amazing that he's 2nd in the league in completions over 20 yards. That is truly amazing!
Making something out of nothing.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The thing we all knew about Tannehill was that he was "raw". He had only 19 starts and we knew that would mean quite a bit of learning on the job for the kid. But we also knew this kid had four years of pro style learning under Sherman at A&M. Combine his previous experience under Sherman with the way we run practice and you've got a perfect scenario where this kid is going to rapidly learn on the job and progress constantly for the next couple of seasons. Tannehill is still learning the ropes, but he's figuring them out quickly, and it's only a matter of time in my opinion before he's among the NFL elite. The way this kid is piling up yards is no fluke. This kid looks like a 4,000+ yard passer straight out of the box. Imagine what he'll be capable of in a couple of years.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:16 pm

Phin wrote:
All the naysayers are becoming quieter by the game. Even Junkie is starting to like the kid. Maybe even some of them will admit they were wrong.....?
All kidding aside, its very early yet and things will change and defenses will find adjustments. Heck, we haven't even played the Bill Belichecks yet. Still, it's been enjoyable to see RT steadily improve in each game. He has been impressive.

I was never a naysayer when it came to his potential. i didn't want to start him because I didn't think he was ready for the NFL. I was wrong on that for sure. He appears more ready than any rookie out there and here's why: he has no memory. You would think a shaky outting like Houston would have carried over a few games with tentative throws, longer decision making...not so. Right now, he's gripping and ripping, hitting WRs in stride, even on the run. He is loads better than I thought. My impressions through games 1-3...Henne. My impressions about games 4-5, awesome. Can he improve...sure. He needs to for this team to go to the next level.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Phin wrote:

I was never a naysayer when it came to his potential. i didn't want to start him because I didn't think he was ready for the NFL. I was wrong on that for sure. He appears more ready than any rookie out there and here's why: he has no memory. You would think a shaky outting like Houston would have carried over a few games with tentative throws, longer decision making...not so. Right now, he's gripping and ripping, hitting WRs in stride, even on the run. He is loads better than I thought. My impressions through games 1-3...Henne. My impressions about games 4-5, awesome. Can he improve...sure. He needs to for this team to go to the next level.

Tannehill is on track for 4,000+ yards this season. Imagine what this kid will do once we add a couple of playmakers? Tannehill is setting records with only two solid receiver options, imagine what he'll do if he has three or four go to guys?

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]