View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Mike Sherman's offense is attacking downfield 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Mike Sherman's offense is attacking downfield
Dave Hyde wrote:
While everyone always has quibblesabout a certain play call or situation, I love Mike Sherman’s offense. For the first time in more than a decade, the Dolphins are attacking downfield. And Sherman is relentless in assuring that happens.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 0446.story

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Mike Sherman's offense is attacking downfield
They finally have a modern day offense with a modern day QB.

Still. 17 points against a bad defense isn't good enough.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:41 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I guess. I still don't see as many shots downfield as you would like. Last week, Cincy manned up their CBs all game. Hartline has to do more than timing routes. He has to be open while being covered by 1 man. The solid number 1's are always taking advantage of man coverage.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hyde quickly forgets how often we attacked down field last year. That being said, it's a good trend to have continue.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

We're definitely attacking downfield more often this year now that we have a quarterback capable of stretching the field. Last year the numbers were impressive with the trio of Marshall, Hartline, and Bess, but this year they're even better now that Marshall is gone. It's obvious we lack a redzone weapon right now, but that hasn't stopped this offense from moving the chains with ease.

Last year Matt Moore had 38 plays of 20+ and 6 plays of 40+ last year in 13 games. That's three big plays each game, plus one homerun every other game. He had 192.1 yards per game average. Not too shabby.

But this year Ryan Tannehill through five games has had 19 plays of 20+ and 3 plays of 40+. That's roughly four big passes per game, plus a homerun in two out of three games. Tannehill is also averaging 253.8 yards per game. It's simply amazing when you consider he doesn't have a number one target and he's a true rookie starter.

We're attacking more and more downfield every week, not only that but we're completing the passes. I'm not even going to go into the missed opportunities because we had plenty of those last year as well. Just imagine what this team is going to look like once we add another stud wideout to replace Marshall? Tannehill is going to tear teams up.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Mike Sherman is not what I consider "modern" he just runs a different type of offense than we have seen in years.

He is a spread guy, and I have to really give him credit right now running the offense with what he has to work with. While we all have heard/read that his system does not call for a "true # 1" WR, it does need to have more than 2 WR's in order to be utilized. Still he has managed to attack in the air now that teams are focusing on the run.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:17 am

10acjed wrote:
Mike Sherman is not what I consider "modern" he just runs a different type of offense than we have seen in years.

He is a spread guy, and I have to really give him credit right now running the offense with what he has to work with. While we all have heard/read that his system does not call for a "true # 1" WR, it does need to have more than 2 WR's in order to be utilized. Still he has managed to attack in the air now that teams are focusing on the run.

I agree. With that said if he could utilize his backs who catch very well...this team could put up some points in a hurry.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:49 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
10acjed wrote:

I agree. With that said if he could utilize his backs who catch very well...this team could put up some points in a hurry.

It's crazy to think that we traded Marshall away but yet our passing game has taken a step forward. Imagine what this team would be capable of if we had a true #1 on the roster?

I agree that we need to roll Reggie Bush out more often. He had a catch in that last game that looked almost effortless and it moved the chains. I think he also drew a pass interference flag on another play. Bringing Bush into the passing game could have huge benefits. The only problem is it leaves Tannehill without a back to pickup the blitz in certain formations. If we do decide to roll out Bush more often, we will need to leave someone in the backfield to pick up the blitz. The Rams are definitely going to blitz this week.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:01 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

wkloiber13 wrote:

It's crazy to think that we traded Marshall away but yet our passing game has taken a step forward. Imagine what this team would be capable of if we had a true #1 on the roster?

Adding a # 1 type now that the others are established would be great.

Marshall took away more than he contributed IMO. He was too much the focal point, whether or not that would have changed with Sherman is unknown. But it would appear that they were not too eager to try.

All I know is when I look at the players the ball was going to last year, 50% was Marshall.
So now that there is some chemistry with Hartline & Bess, add someone else who can stretch the field a little more and mix it in.

So long as there is balance...

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]