View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:00 am



Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly 
Author Message
Online
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8940
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
Peter King wrote:
Another young quarterback's adjusting to the league quickly.

Remember when the draftniks said it'd be a smart idea for whoever picked the inexperienced Ryan Tannehill to stash him on the bench for a full season so he could learn the position better? What you see in Tannehill now, after a two-week stretch in which Miami lost in overtime at Arizona and won at Cincinnati, is a confident player who doesn't get flustered when the pocket breaks down -- as it did under pressure from Michael Johnson and Geno Atkins Sunday in Cincinnati.

The rookie out of Texas A&M has been a 64 percent passer in the two games, and you can see he doesn't get jittery when he feels pressure. "It's not that complicated,'' he said from Cincinnati after the 17-13 Miami win. "I'm just getting more comfortable as the weeks go on. What I was happy about today was I was able to make some good checks at the line [audibles], and I like the fact we made good decisions.''

The best decision by Miami may have been trusting Tannehill with a big job.


http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... k-5/1.html

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:30 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 6930
Location: ELP, TX.
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
The "deputy" is fast becoming the "sheriff"....lol

_________________
Image

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom


Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:43 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3423
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
Ryan is getting better and better every week, and this is what you hoped would happen. Seeing the speed of the game and getting the experience of playing early is paying big dividends for Ryan and the Dolphins.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4580
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
Sherman obviously has alot of trust in Ryan and what he is capable of. And RT seems unshaken regardless of the last play.
Hit him, pressure him, even when he throws a pick. Next play he is behind center is like nothing happened.

He is progressing from week to week no doubt... Guess its just history that makes me wait for the wheels to fall off at any minute... lol

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:14 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 6555
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
Let's not forget that he played 2 good defenses. The Bengals were averaging a laegue high 4.5 sacks a game. Arz is a "swarming" D that rattled the Eagles the week before we played them.


Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:15 am
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3423
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
Makchell wrote:
Let's not forget that he played 2 good defenses. The Bengals were averaging a laegue high 4.5 sacks a game. Arz is a "swarming" D that rattled the Eagles the week before we played them.



Make that 3 good defensive teams Mak. Don't forget about the 1st game of the year against the Texans.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:18 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 6555
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
Make that 3 good defensive teams Mak. Don't forget about the 1st game of the year against the Texans

Good point.


Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:33 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5638
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
Makchell wrote:
Let's not forget that he played 2 good defenses. The Bengals were averaging a laegue high 4.5 sacks a game. Arz is a "swarming" D that rattled the Eagles the week before we played them.


Well Cincy ranked 21st in total defense ..... alas the ability to handle the pass rush is still impressive regardless.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:43 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 4468
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
I've been extremely impressed with Tanny and proven wrong about sitting him for at least a good part of the season. I thought that would be the better play considering his lack of time in college. He appears to be a rare talent. Yes, he has made mistakes, but I believe he has it. I am not putting any expectations on him for the year, but I believe Miami has found them a Qb for the future. Finally.


Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:15 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6291
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
I remember before the draft, many fans 'here' and fans I know where I live saying Tannehill is being pushed into the 1st round artificially because Luck and Griffin would be gone after the 2nd pick.
And that Miami would be reaching at the 8th pick simply because we needed a QB.
(comparisons to Boller, Ponder and Quinn were being made)

I said Tannehill would be a steal this year at 8 because he is still raw. If he had stayed another year at Texas A&M then we wouldnt have had a shot at him. He would have gone 1 or 2 overall in this next draft. It was a perfect storm of circumstances for the Dolphins who deserved some QB luck after 13 years.


Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:34 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 85
Location: PBG FL
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
In my mind I wanted him to sit this year, but I also thought you do not draft a player 8th overall and not start him. I am glad we started him I am exteremely happy with his progression. The game does not seem fast to him, unlike all our other attempts at find a QB, he may have the IT factor (I hope).


Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:19 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 2434
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
Tannehill is improving rapidly and that surprises me, since he didn't have a lot of college starts. I was all for giving Moore the starting role and grooming the rookie. Tannehill has had his growing pains, but he is picking up the NFL game quicker than one would expect. Even more of a surprise, is he is doing it despite not having a stellar supporting cast....although I always said Hartline was not targeted enough and was clearly a quality starting WR. I still don't think he is the guy you want for your #1 WR, but he is definitely a top #2. Tannehill and the new offense have helped our receivers in general though.

Davone Bess is averaging 15.7 ypc, but his career average is 10.7 ypc.

Brian Hartline is averaging 17.7 ypc, his highest ever...but not as dramatic an increase as you see in Bess.

Can you imagine what things would be like if the team adds a bonafide top WR with size and speed? Imagine this offense with a younger Randy Moss, or Calvin Johnson....

_________________
Image
Philbin's countenance exudes confidence!
1984 was so long ago...Will there ever be another rainbow?


Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:06 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
When people were talking about this kid sitting they kept pointing to Aaron Rodgers as the example of what we would do with Tannehill. Only problem is they were two completely different prospects coming out of school. In terms of their athletic ability and passer ability, they were similar. They also had limited starting experience. But that is where the similarities stop. Tannehill is a much more confident player than Rodgers was coming out of college, and Rodgers didn't learn under Mike Sherman for four years either. Rodgers had the skills but he lacked the confidence. That and Green Bay had Favre around making Rodgers learning process less necessary.

Tannehill is in a whole different situation. He has the skill and the confidence, plus Miami doesn't have anyone else on it's roster that can do any better. Right now we're just seeing the tip of the iceburg with this kid. If he's capable of getting 4,000+ yards as a rookie, imagine what he'll do when he's had two or three years in the league and we've built an offense around him.


Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:24 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 233
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
wkloiber13 wrote:
When people were talking about this kid sitting they kept pointing to Aaron Rodgers as the example of what we would do with Tannehill. Only problem is they were two completely different prospects coming out of school. In terms of their athletic ability and passer ability, they were similar. They also had limited starting experience. But that is where the similarities stop. Tannehill is a much more confident player than Rodgers was coming out of college, and Rodgers didn't learn under Mike Sherman for four years either. Rodgers had the skills but he lacked the confidence. That and Green Bay had Favre around making Rodgers learning process less necessary.

Tannehill is in a whole different situation. He has the skill and the confidence, plus Miami doesn't have anyone else on it's roster that can do any better. Right now we're just seeing the tip of the iceburg with this kid. If he's capable of getting 4,000+ yards as a rookie, imagine what he'll do when he's had two or three years in the league and we've built an offense around him.


This!
I doubt any rookie QB has started in such a custom-made for sucess situation. You honestly see at times, he is two steps ahead of the rest of the offense. When they catch-up, well...things should get exciting this year.


Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:10 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: Peter King- Another young QB adjusting to the league quickly
apatos19 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
When people were talking about this kid sitting they kept pointing to Aaron Rodgers as the example of what we would do with Tannehill. Only problem is they were two completely different prospects coming out of school. In terms of their athletic ability and passer ability, they were similar. They also had limited starting experience. But that is where the similarities stop. Tannehill is a much more confident player than Rodgers was coming out of college, and Rodgers didn't learn under Mike Sherman for four years either. Rodgers had the skills but he lacked the confidence. That and Green Bay had Favre around making Rodgers learning process less necessary.

Tannehill is in a whole different situation. He has the skill and the confidence, plus Miami doesn't have anyone else on it's roster that can do any better. Right now we're just seeing the tip of the iceburg with this kid. If he's capable of getting 4,000+ yards as a rookie, imagine what he'll do when he's had two or three years in the league and we've built an offense around him.


This!
I doubt any rookie QB has started in such a custom-made for sucess situation. You honestly see at times, he is two steps ahead of the rest of the offense. When they catch-up, well...things should get exciting this year.


That's exactly right, this offense is custom-made for Tannehill, but at the same time it's a legitimate NFL offense (a complex one at that), not some dumbed down version like you see some rookie quarterbacks running.

When this team gels and starts playing faster and smarter, you'll see this team take that next step. Right now we're young and learning, that's why we're 2-3 instead of 4-1.


Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:57 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cathal, dolphinjim and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.