View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Michael Egnew 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Michael Egnew
One Dolphins player told the Miami Herald that Dolphins rookie third-round TE Mike Egnew has "trouble remembering the plays," hence his lack of playing time.
Another player was "skeptical about (Egnew's) long-term chances." Egnew is buried on the depth chart in Miami, behind Anthony Fasano and Charles Clay, and there are no signs that the coaching staff wants to increase his role.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Michael Egnew
Clay looks terrible. This team desperately needs a difference making tight end.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:13 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Egnew and Clay make me hopeful that the Dolphins invest in a real tight end in the next draft.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

if only we would've ponied up a pick for Jimmy Graham when we had the chance.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:22 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Maybe Egnew is. A gamer....time to find out. Clay sux

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Clay is choking. I agree with Junkie, maybe, just maybe Egnew is a gamer. Let him play and either way, I inactivate Clay as a matter of principle. NFL will stand for not for long on him.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:

Clay dropped a couple of very catchable passes today. He also made a couple of nice grabs. But with Clay you'd just like to see him progress and take that next step. You want to see him emerge and become a difference maker, but that just isn't happening. Instead it looks like he's regressed a little this season.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:12 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
One Dolphins player told the Miami Herald that Dolphins rookie third-round TE Mike Egnew has "trouble remembering the plays," hence his lack of playing time.
Another player was "skeptical about (Egnew's) long-term chances." Egnew is buried on the depth chart in Miami, behind Anthony Fasano and Charles Clay, and there are no signs that the coaching staff wants to increase his role.

Source?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It's a Rotoworld blurb from the Miami herald

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Finhead34 wrote:
Clay is choking. I agree with Junkie, maybe, just maybe Egnew is a gamer. Let him play and either way, I inactivate Clay as a matter of principle. NFL will stand for not for long on him.

Careful Finhead...talk like that can get you black listed... :)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Quote:
Clay dropped a couple of very catchable passes today. He also made a couple of nice grabs. But with Clay you'd just like to see him progress and take that next step. You want to see him emerge and become a difference maker, but that just isn't happening. Instead it looks like he's regressed a little this season.

Bear with me hear...I wasn't watching only listening. There were too things about Clay today I heard from the opposing team announcers.
1. He dropped a pass that these announcers said would have went for huge yardarge and the ball was right on the mark.
2. He caught a pass and instead of keeping it in bounds he saves Cincy a TO by running OB.

I don't know about you but these are both silly mental errors. You don't go far in the NFL making these kinds of preventable mistakes.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

Bear with me hear...I wasn't watching only listening. There were too things about Clay today I heard from the opposing team announcers.
1. He dropped a pass that these announcers said would have went for huge yardarge and the ball was right on the mark.
2. He caught a pass and instead of keeping it in bounds he saves Cincy a TO by running OB.

I don't know about you but these are both silly mental errors. You don't go far in the NFL making these kinds of preventable mistakes.

In my opinion he dropped two passes. The most noticeable one was over the middle and would have been a big gain to around mid-field, instead the drive stalled and we had to punt. The second he allowed a much smaller defensive back to get physical with him and prevent a catch from behind.

The play where he ran out of bounds was troublesome as well. When we needed to kill the clock he makes a bonehead move and leaves several more seconds on the clock for Daulton and the Bengals offense to work with.

Clay is a promising prospect, I had high hopes for him in this system, but it looks like he has regressed this year. I'm just not too sure what it is about this new system but it looks to me like we don't have the proper tightends to run it. Fasano is the only decent guy in the bunch right now. Clay could be very good if he just hangs on to the balls that are thrown to him. They're easy catches, Tannehill is spoon feeding this guy.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:

Egnew looks clueless & plays that way. Clay is struggling, but believe he has a much better chance of being a contributor than Egnew.

Maybe a yr on the bench for Egnew will snap out of being overwhelmed by the NFL.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:39 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Egnew and Clay make me hopeful that the Dolphins invest in a real tight end in the next draft.

There doesn't appear to be a stud TE in next yrs draft. Some decent ones, but no one that stands out & says. "I'm gonna be good in the NFL"

TE has always been an issue for Miami. Besides Keith Jackson ( Who personally I thought disappointed in his time in Miami ) there has always been issues around TE.

Miami might look at Finley next year if GB lets him go, as reported.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Miami might look at Finley next year if GB lets him go, as reported.

No thanks. Not only does he drop catchable passes, he's injury prone.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

I agree, but I can also see Miami taking a chance at a responsible price.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Makchell wrote:

I agree, but I can also see Miami taking a chance at a responsible price.

Finley's worth a roll of the dice. At least he's a threat for defenses. He draws attention from the linebackers and safeties which makes the Wide Receivers jobs easier.

Martellus Bennett has benefited from a change of scenery.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Apparently, Egnew's lack of playing time is due to struggles at blacking assignments. Atleast Philbin is saying he's progressing.

From Coach Philbin............

"The system in Missouri was a little bit different. Obviously, he was a very productive college player and we’re hopeful that he can make the transition to the Miami Dolphin offense sooner as opposed to later. But we’re seeing development," Philbin said of Egnew, who primarily works on the scout team preparing the defense for the opponent. "He’s got to be able to play a little more in-line. He didn’t do a whole lot of that at Missouri and he’s starting to get used to having his hand down in a three-point stance, being involved in pass protection and more involved in the run blocking than he’s ever been as well as the route running aspects of it. We’re seeing progress."

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
Apparently, Egnew's lack of playing time is due to struggles at blacking assignments. Atleast Philbin is saying he's progressing.

Always heard that getting blacking assignments down were the hardest thing for young TEs to learn.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:55 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

How about giving him some reps as a WR? A 3rd round pick for a practice squad player kind of sucks.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:27 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

You can't always microwave players. It is not uncommon for WRs to need a year or two of grooming before really coming into their own. Why can we not show a little patience for these 2 guys (Clay and Egnew)? Guys like Gronk and Graham are the exception, not the rule, aren't they?

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:51 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Armando Salguero wrote:
I learned from offensive coordinator Sherman that rookie tight end Michael Egnew has problems beyond simply being good enough on offense to be active in a game. The truth is he has to be good enough to contribute on special team and, Sherman said, "he's not there right now."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Armando Salguero wrote:
I learned from offensive coordinator Sherman that rookie tight end Michael Egnew has problems beyond simply being good enough on offense to be active in a game. The truth is he has to be good enough to contribute on special team and, Sherman said, "he's not there right now."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Sounds like he's going to be a much bigger project than our staff thought when we drafted him.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]