View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hartline took painful path to become NFL's leading reciever 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Hartline took painful path to become NFL's leading reciever
Quote:
By Jeff Darlington
Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

One sleepless night after Hartline's painful flight June 10, he crawled to the elevator of his condo building, managed his way to his car and drove to Broward General Hospital, where he'd have his appendix, complicated by gangrene, removed immediately. He wouldn't leave for 12 days. And he'd lose 25 pounds in the process.

You see, Hartline didn't just have his appendix removed four months before the start of a contract year. He also suffered a batch of complications that completely shut down his digestive system. He also suffered a calf injury on the first day of training camp, a result of improper healing of a previous injury because of his bed-ridden hospital stay. It caused him to miss the entire preseason.

The pain led to medicine. The medicine led to complications. And complications resulted in ileus, a complete blockage of Hartline's intestines. For 12 days, Hartline couldn't eat as much as a Popsicle without throwing up.

"It was to the point where my stomach wasn't even processing my bile, so I had to put a tube down my throat," Hartline said. "Every 24 hours, I was emptying 600 CCs of bile from my stomach (the equivalent of a 20 oz. bottle of soda)."

Are you getting this? Less than four months ago, the NFL's leading wide receiver -- who few had on their radar nationally at all -- was 25 pounds lighter, and his offseason training activities consisted of nothing more than walking the length of the hospital's hallway in scrubs while attached to a pole with an IV drip.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
"So the doctor says, 'Some people, they're in here for a day or two, if that. Then, you have people who die from this. But you're somewhere in the middle.' I look at the doctor and say, 'Wait, doc, are you telling me I have a 50-percent chance of dying?"

"A week before the season started, my toe nails were falling off, which happens to guys a week into training camp," Hartline said. "I had 'camp legs,' and the season was about to start. I'm only now just really getting my legs under me."

Two months ago, shortly before he pulled his calf muscle on the first day of camp, Hartline didn't even have the endurance to run a full lap around a football field because of his medical situation. Now? Now, he sits atop the NFL's leading receivers with 27 more yards than A.J. Green and 32 more yards than Calvin Johnson.

Team sources say conversations between Hartline's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and general manager Jeff Ireland have taken place, but the talks have not been substantive. Instead, like the rest of the NFL, it's time to wait and see.

"It's really just one game," Hartline said. "I don't want people to think that I'm sitting here believing I've suddenly arrived and I'm some great person. It's one game. It has to happen more than once.

Like Hartline said, this is what sports are all about. This is worth celebrating.

"Knowing we have 12 games left?" Hartline said. "Now, that's exciting."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... g-receiver

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Hartline took painful path to become NFL's leading reciever
Whoa...how inspiring...I didn't know it was that bad, I think Hartline may have turned into my favorite player on the team.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:09 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Yes indeed, Mr. Hartline really did almost die. Very serious stuff. What if he waited 12 more hours? I am so glad he is ok now and look what this dude is doing with that ball, actually catching it. It's a Miracle I tell ya !

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:25 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

actually catching it.

LOL!

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:32 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
actually catching it.

LOL!

Yes indeed....

Part of the reason I have always been a Hartline supporter, the dude has 2 of the most important things, great hands, and field awareness.

Hartlines catches have been anything but easy, not just this year either. He doesn't get wide open much, but he has proved he doesn't need to be.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I had no idea he had been so sick. I am hoping Gaffney can contribute more than Naanee did in the #3 WR position. Staying balanced and having a few more offensive weapons is the way Miami's offense will continue to improve. If defenses make adjustments to slow Hartline down then Bess, Gaffney, Fasano, Bush, Clay & L Miller have to step up and make some plays in the passing game.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:29 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Teams have tried to slow Hartline down and he is one of the most underrated receivers in the NFL. He has excellent "football" speed and runs great patterns and really uses techniques to get open.

Steve Largent used to have ( I am probably exaggerating a bit) like 15 different ways to approach a simple square in pattern, therefore the defender, no how fast they were, always had trouble guarding him. I put Hartline in this category, he uses great hand & head shake movement when he runs his patterns.

If Gaffney steps in and can deflect some of the coverages, Hartline & Bess will really benefit. I also agree that Fasano and if Clay can ever come back from his disappearing act can also make a big difference as this offense continues to evolve.

Hartline is like today's Ed McCaffrey, the ex-receiver for John Elway and the Broncos who used to always not get respect, but always made big plays.

Who would have thought that Tedd Ginn (First round pick)was the star at Ohio State and Hartline a secondary receiver in college is the one that becomes the better NFL player.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:28 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
I had no idea he had been so sick. I am hoping Gaffney can contribute more than Naanee did in the #3 WR position. Staying balanced and having a few more offensive weapons is the way Miami's offense will continue to improve. If defenses make adjustments to slow Hartline down then Bess, Gaffney, Fasano, Bush, Clay & L Miller have to step up and make some plays in the passing game.

Imagine how good Hartline will look at mid-season when he's completely back, and he and Tannehill have had another month to work together. They might smash some more records.

If Gaffney catches one pass and doesn't drop any he'll be a monumental upgrade over Naanee. That said, Gaffney has played in a run heavy west coast offense under Shanahan last year, he should be fine I think. Gaffney is a smart veteran receiver who I remember runs pretty good routes. He's been very productive everywhere he's been, with the exception of New England, but that doesn't mean much considering how they treat receivers there. I think Gaffney will boost our group for at least the rest of the season, who knows if he'll be back after that.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]